18 Years Goes By So Fast.. (1 Viewer)

Saints drafted Reggie and the franchise has never been the same since.

I recall the night we knew that we were taking Reggie. I was at my aunts house (she lived off West Esplanade and Transcontinental) on Friday night when the news broke that the Texans would be taking Mario Williams, and I called my brother who was in Michigan to tell him. We were both ecstatic.

The next day was just a formality, but I remember watching Reggie Bush’s USC highlights on repeat Saturday and Sunday. Such an amazing time.

Such a great time it has been!
My son who was 5 when we drafted Reggie. His entire childhood through his teens, his experience of the Saints was Drew Brees, CSP, Bush, Quiet Storm, etc., a lot of great offense and a lot of winning.
When Brees retired, he was a sophomore in college and that sort of announced the end of his childhood to him.
He had a "big head" of Reggie on his wall for many years. Some of the logos from that set are still on the wall of his room.

I'll never forget the huge pass/catch against the Bears in 06. That's when I knew the Saints were going to be for real for a long time. Perfect throw by Brees and awesome finish by Bush.

I also want to take a moment to acknowledge Raphael Bush who allowed us Saints fans to proudly wear our Bush jerseys for several more years.

Love this story. The night before the draft Houston decided not to draft Reggie. He is now available to the Saints. SP and his staff at dinner

SPs phone rings

Reggie’s agent: Sean. My man. Look Sean my man. You got a lot of needs. You feeling me Sean. And Sean my man. Reggie is a West Coast kinda guy. Sean my man. You need to trade that pick and draft all those other guys you need. We feeling each other Sean?

SP: F you

Click

I’ll always love SP

I still consider him the most important draft pick in the history of the team.
I remember having a discussion with folks adamant we needed to trade back because Reggie would be gone #1 overall. I said you have to wait because he might be there at #2. Everyone laughed...

63a09550667fc.jpeg

Love this story. The night before the draft Houston decided not to draft Reggie. He is now available to the Saints. SP and his staff at dinner

SPs phone rings

Reggie’s agent: Sean. My man. Look Sean my man. You got a lot of needs. You feeling me Sean. And Sean my man. Reggie is a West Coast kinda guy. Sean my man. You need to trade that pick and draft all those other guys you need. We feeling each other Sean?

SP: F you

Click

I’ll always love SP
Forgot the rest. Reggie’s agent calls Reggie

Ya gonna love New Orleeeens Reg. That Katrina stuff is way overhyped

I don't know that is was the Bush pick where it changed. At least for me.

For me it was the late 1980's when things turned a corner. Rickey Jackson, Vaughn Johnson, Sam Mills, Patrick Swilling. THE DOME PATROL

Sure it took a bunch more years to win the big one. Sure we had some bad years in between. But that's when things changed for me. We weren't laughing stocks anymore.

Forever grateful toward the Texans.
Thanks for the memory jog. I don't remember where I was,but I heard on WWL the Texans signed
Mario Williams and would make him the 1st overall selection. The drafting of Bush was a foregone
conclusion then.

I also remember watching the Lions game in the 2005 season. It was either the last or next to last game
in that forgettable season. We were leading late. If we lost we'd be drafting 2nd. If we had won we would
have been drafting 5th. I always want the Saints to win,but it was the only game in the history of my
fandom I didn't care that we lost. If we had drafted 5th the selection would have been AJ Hawk or
D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Both were good players,but they would not have bought the same excitement
as Bush that we desperately needed after Katrina.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
My daughter was born September 6th 2006. The day we brought her home for the first time (9/10/06 I think) was Brees/Payton/Colston etc etc first game with the Saints. I can remember watching the kickoff against Cleveland at the hospital, listening to it on the drive home, and after taking in a few minutes with the wife kind of in awe of how much our lives were about to change, watching the rest of the game at home with my newborn. She’ll be a senior next year and I don’t know where the time went.

Looking back we were so fortunate to have good people like him and Brees come in 2006. Revisionist history aside, no one wanted to come to New Orleans then.
The team's owner wouldn't even commit to the city. Reggie was by far the belle of the ball and could have been a diva if he wanted to, but he bought into the team with an unproven coach and QB.

Also looking at that 2006 draft, that draft class was WEAK. The stars really aligned for us to get him.

Also looking at that 2006 draft, that draft class was WEAK. The stars really aligned for us to get him.
Yes it was. Jhari Evans turned out to be the best player we selected that draft. He barely missed the final
cut this year,but he'll eventually be enshrined in Canton.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom