2015 LSU spring football thread (1 Viewer)

I can't think of a single reason either, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

I can think of a ton of plausible reasons, but no clue which might be true.

I still believe there had to be off-the-field issues such as grades, drugs or some other shenanigan that was serious enough to keep him from playing, but not serious enough to reach the media.

Another explanation is that he was injured as he got pretty beat up to a ridiculous extent at Awbarn, to the point where it's highly plausible that injury held him back. Why miss out on an opportunity to screw with opposing coaches and let them think he might actually play?

He also showed lots of signs of immaturity, especially with some of his twitter posts that just HAD to tick off Miles, so perhaps he thought it better to send a message to his young QB instead of giving him playing time. Ryan P... also had that entitled mentality and you saw how that turned out.

I have no clue, but I agree with MLU... there was a reason for it. This was not by accident. However the coaches must not be overly concerned by it as they did not pull out all the stops to bring in a QB into this class come **** or high water.

Truth be told, I don't care what the reason is. I'm going to judge this coaching staff by what they field and produce this year. Either we see improved production on the field (which should be ridiculously easy to do) or it's time to start looking at future head coach replacement options. I don't expect a title next year, but I do expect to see progress on offense and especially at QB. Our staff chose to go all-in with these guys, so these are their guys. We need to hold them accountable for their decisions and not give him a free pass like MLU did with JJ. Produce or **** up.

Tony Ball from UGA will be the new WR coach. Also in the running was former Jaguars WR, Keenan McCardell which would have been interesting.

Also, Brick Haley is joining Charlie Strong in Austin at UT.

First day of spring practice today.

Devin Voorhies moved from safety to LB.

M.J. Patterson moved from DE to LB.

Maquedius Bain worked at DE but not sure if he's been moved from DT or not.

I expect Herron will get some looks at DE.

DT Travonte Valentine didn't participate and it appears he has some grade issues still.

First day of spring practice today.

Devin Voorhies moved from safety to LB.

M.J. Patterson moved from DE to LB.

Maquedius Bain worked at DE but not sure if he's been moved from DT or not.

I expect Herron will get some looks at DE.

DT Travonte Valentine didn't participate and it appears he has some grade issues still.
From what im hearing, Valentine was a coaches decision and not the ncaa. Some requirements he was supposed to fulfill team wise that he did not. Hopefully he will get straight by fall.

Also Tony Upchurch has moved from WR to fullback. Also word is that TV is a discipline issue and not just strictly grades. However I am almost be willing to be that never ever plays a down for LSU. Seems there are too many obstacles in the way.

LSU had it's second practice today, nothing much to report. Some shuffling along the OL and some other positions, nothing noteworthy.

Orgeron seems to be having a good time coaching the DL. He's the key to a good defense this season.

No real news about QB. Miles let it slip on day that Harris had a really good day and the next day he hints that Jennings is doing a tiny bit better than Harris. Lightly heralded WR DJ Chark has been a playmaking machine in scrimmages.

Yaw Yaw has the D-Line motivated. Valentine isn't practicing, but Gilmore looks to be taking things seriously after consecutive years of True Freshmen holding him off the field. Tommy Moffitt mentioned DE Bower specifically when asked about the strongest player on the team, along with Leonard Fournette. Bower looks to be taking over the role of Hulk from Hunter.

The secondary looks to be one of the best in the conference again with Ed Paris starting opposite Tre White, but true freshman Kevin Tolliver pushing him. Although he isn't participating in Spring Practice, Rashard Robinson is not totally out of luck in a possible return next year. White and Paris at CB. Adams and Mills at Safety right now. All four guys have top notch cover ability. Adams and Paris look to both be pretty physical.

Lots of shuffling along the OL trying to find the best 5. Tackles will definitely be Jerald Hawkins and Vadal Alexander but the guard spots and center there is constant movement. I think Ethan Pocic will end up starting at center. Should be a very strong group, lots of talent.

DL there is some shuffling as well but looks like Tashawn Bower and Deondre Clark at DE and Davon Godchaux and Christian LaCouture at DT. Decent depth but not a lot of experience, Orgeron will push them to get their play up but someone is going to have to step up at DE.

Anthony Jennings looks to be holding off Brandon Harris for now at QB, long ways to go though. Travin Dural and Trey Quinn look very good at WR. Malachi Dupre is also doing good things and D.J. Chark is looking explosive. John Diarse is struggling with drops but he's very physical once he's got the ball secured. Tyron Johnson will make things interesting when he gets to LSU.

LB group looks about the same as last year. Kendell Beckwith, Lamar Louis, Deion Jones, and Clifton Garrett are the best of the bunch.

TE group about the same. Dillon Gordon is firmly entrenched as the starter, Colin Jeter the second blocking TE. DeSean Smith and Jacory Washington getting stronger, Smith will be the receiving TE and I hope to see Washington get a few targets as well, both are long with good speed.

Leonard Fournette and Darrel Williams are going to be a monster RB combo and Derrius Guice will be someone else to watch for.

For the most part it will be the same team as last year but with more experience. LSU should be more explosive at RB, WR, and TE. QB's will be average, probably more efficient but still not a lot of yardage or passing TD's. If the DL wakes up it changes everything. LSU goes from a good defense back to an elite defense. Can't continue to let teams run for 250+ plus if they want to get back to winning 10+ games.

LSU goes from a good defense back to an elite defense.

They have the athletes to make that prophecy a reality, but the new system will slow things down for them IMO. Hopefully, the learning curve isn't too steep & they can return to elite level play sooner rather than later....

They have the athletes to make that prophecy a reality, but the new system will slow things down for them IMO. Hopefully, the learning curve isn't too steep & they can return to elite level play sooner rather than later....

Speaking of the new system, has anybody noticed the difference with what Chavis did previously and what Steele is doing now? Is the structure of the practices different? How has the system changed?

Just curious what our D is going to look like aside from just players.

Speaking of the new system, has anybody noticed the difference with what Chavis did previously and what Steele is doing now? Is the structure of the practices different? How has the system changed?

Just curious what our D is going to look like aside from just players.
Great question.

I don't think the defense is going to change much, the personnel is pretty much the same. Steele is supposedly more aggressive with blitzing than Chavis but we won't see any of that until the season starts.

It is amazing how many talented wr y'all send to the NFL running the Miles offense. Thanks for the updates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom