3-D Printing / Printers (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about 3-D printing? I was looking to see what beginner options are out there and have found a lot of cheap printers, but I don't know what I am looking at. I am reading that I need a heated bed plate if I want to use ABS. Is an enclosure really necessary?

I don't have one, but some advice I've heard is to start out and see if your public library has one. Some actually do. So, that way you can get some hands on experience with them. Also, there are companies that have massive print shops that will print and ship your part for not a lot of money. It's a cheap way to get started. Usually you need to provide the CAD file, but various files are out on the net.

I know a guy at work really likes the Robo 1 and we also have one at work (for small projects).

Amazon.com: ROBO 3D

It also has a heated print bed.

Anyone know anything about 3-D printing? I was looking to see what beginner options are out there and have found a lot of cheap printers, but I don't know what I am looking at. I am reading that I need a heated bed plate if I want to use ABS. Is an enclosure really necessary?

The reason for an enclosure when printing with ABS is that it keeps the ambient temperature hotter. ABS requires a higher temperature to melt, and if the ambient temperature is too low, the ABS will cool too quickly, which can result in warping of your final print and your layers not adhering well.

I purchased an Anet A8, and I've enjoyed it. It came as a kit that had to be assembled (the instructions were horrible, but there is a great series of youtube videos that walks you through the assembly). I haven't built an enclosure for it yet, because I've stuck with PLA for my prints. The cost was around $179, and for that price, it's got a pretty good size print area (220mm x 220mm x 240mm)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom