4 day work week coming to a job near you?... (1 Viewer)

BooBirdSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd heard about this study going on in the UK but didn't realize it included companies here in the US as well? Seems like the study is showing everyone wins when people work less hours in a week. I know I can get behind that! My industry works the 9-80 or 19-30 hour schedule which gives you either one or two off extra days during the month. Of course, you still have to work the same 40 hours a week, but you just work extra hours in a day (10 plus in some cases). This scheme is based off a 32-hour work week.
Oh man sign me up!
Participating employers range from firms in the education sector to banking, IT, marketing, retail and hospitality businesses.

Last edited:
I'd heard about this study going on in the UK but didn't realize it included companies here in the US as well? Seems like the study is showing everyone wins when people work less hours in a week. I know I can get behind that! My industry works the 9-80 or 19-30 hour schedule which gives you either one or two off extra days during the month. Of course, you still have to work the same 40 hours a week, but you just work extra hours in a day (10 plus in some cases). This scheme is based off a 32-hour work week.
Oh man sign me up!
Participating employers range from firms in the education sector to banking, IT, marketing, retail and hospitality businesses.
It has long been the idea that working 4 10 hour days a week would improve a company's production. The employees are happy, thus work harder/better. Nothing hurts your production like a building full of unhappy employees.

It has long been the idea that working 4 10 hour days a week would improve a company's production. The employees are happy, thus work harder/better. Nothing hurts your production like a building full of unhappy employees.
Are those people familiar with the American worker? Haha

Re-read the OP, he’s talking about a 32 hour work week .
Yeh, I read that, but my point stands. I worked a 4 day 10 hour schedule for about a year, loved it. Much better than the 12+ hour days of my other schedule.

Yeh, I read that, but my point stands. I worked a 4 day 10 hour schedule for about a year, loved it. Much better than the 12+ hour days of my other schedule.
I agree. We went to a 4-10 work week during Covid, in 2020, it was supposed to be a temp thing, but after realizing how much better it was, they made it permanent. Although I love being off every Friday, working those 2 extra hours a day took some getting used to.
I would love to see a 32 hour work week with no reduction in salary, but i seriously doubt most companies are willing to do this, in the USA.

We went to a 4-10 work week during Covid, in 2020, …. . Although I love being off every Friday, working those 2 extra hours a day took some getting used to.

Ive seen discussions of the 4 day work week since way before the Pandemic, and one thing i will never ever understand- and this isnt aimed at you, since it seems most people feel this way- is why , if you work 4 days in a week, why anyone would take Friday as their day off.. i would take Monday off in a heartbeat.. because at most workplaces, people are in a great mood on Fridays, so would seem to me like a more pleasant workday.. also, if you think Mondays suck with a five day workweek- just imagine how much Mondays would blow after a three day weekend every single week.. Tues-Fri workdays FTW .

Ive seen discussions of the 4 day work week since way before the Pandemic, and one thing i will never ever understand- and this isnt aimed at you, since it seems most people feel this way- is why , if you work 4 days in a week, why anyone would take Friday as their day off.. i would take Monday off in a heartbeat.. because at most workplaces, people are in a great mood on Fridays, so would seem to me like a more pleasant workday.. also, if you think Mondays suck with a five day workweek- just imagine how much Mondays would blow after a three day weekend every single week.. Tues-Fri workdays FTW .
But if people were mostly working Monday to Thursday, it'd be Thursday when people would be in a good mood.

Whereas working Tuesday to Friday, they'd still be in a good mood on Friday, but Monday would now be like Sunday and Tuesdays would suck.

Either way it's a three day weekend and four days work, the first day and the last day are always going to be what they are, doesn't really matter which actual day they are, right?

I agree. We went to a 4-10 work week during Covid, in 2020, it was supposed to be a temp thing, but after realizing how much better it was, they made it permanent. Although I love being off every Friday, working those 2 extra hours a day took some getting used to.
I would love to see a 32 hour work week with no reduction in salary, but i seriously doubt most companies are willing to do this, in the USA.
I don't think most companies are willing to do it in most of the world, but that's because most companies are, to put it bluntly, dumb.

As far as I know, a 40 hour week wasn't determined to be the optimum amount for all types of work, it's just kind of emerged from employers wanting people to work all the time and workers not wanting to and demanding things like weekends (e.g. I don't know about the US, but the two day weekend was only established in the 1930s here).

When they tried that two day weekend, they found efficiency improved and absenteeism reduced. Which is similar to what they're finding with four day week trials. Because the thing is, people not being machines, if you try to get people to work more than they can optimally sustain, they end up working badly (or not at all if they can goof off), making mistakes, and/or wearing out.

So if, for any given job, four day 32 hour weeks are actually more efficient, companies absolutely should be willing to do it. That they're reluctant to do so says more about the systematic behaviour of companies than it does anything else. But maybe it'll happen. After all, the two day weekend did. Eventually.

Years ago i worked at a grocery distribution center. One of the jobs i had, the position was a 4-10 (although it was more like 4-12 or 4-13). I actually chose Wednesday as my third day off. Man i loved that, but it was short lived, only about 6 months, then i was suckered into management (and it all went downhill from there...lol). But i have also done the Tues-Friday as well. any 3 days off in a week is plus. But man it was nice having that mid week break and still having the weekend off.

I don't think most companies are willing to do it in most of the world, but that's because most companies are, to put it bluntly, dumb.

As far as I know, a 40 hour week wasn't determined to be the optimum amount for all types of work, it's just kind of emerged from employers wanting people to work all the time and workers not wanting to and demanding things like weekends (e.g. I don't know about the US, but the two day weekend was only established in the 1930s here).

When they tried that two day weekend, they found efficiency improved and absenteeism reduced. Which is similar to what they're finding with four day week trials. Because the thing is, people not being machines, if you try to get people to work more than they can optimally sustain, they end up working badly (or not at all if they can goof off), making mistakes, and/or wearing out.

So if, for any given job, four day 32 hour weeks are actually more efficient, companies absolutely should be willing to do it. That they're reluctant to do so says more about the systematic behaviour of companies than it does anything else. But maybe it'll happen. After all, the two day weekend did. Eventually.
Somewhere, Boomers are mad that we are even entertaining the idea of a 32 hour work week.

Can confirm 4 10s absolutely whip arse. Five 8s can take a long walk off a short pier.
The plant i work at started with a 9-80 schedule, work 9 hours a day off every other Friday. which wasn't bad, but 4-10s is a leaps and bounds better..

You know what's FTW? Working from home. The Pandemic proved what a lot of people already knew. For a lot of office workers, there are very few reasons to physically be at the office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom