4 day work week coming to a job near you?... (1 Viewer)

we currently do 9 hours Mon-Thurs and 4 on Friday...Fridays are pretty chill around here

when i was at Entergy, we alternated Fridays off....

both are much better than the alternative but half day Fridays is overall better, imo

4-10's is probably the best work rotation out there. Hard to beat it for work/life balance. I know a guy that works 4-10s and the off day alternates between Monday and Friday. So every other weekend is a 4 day weekend.

I actually chose Wednesday as my third day off
I did this for a bit too, it was nice.

we currently do 9 hours Mon-Thurs and 4 on Friday...Fridays are pretty chill around here

both are much better than the alternative but half day Fridays is overall better, imo

Most of the engineering companies we work with do the 9/9/9/9/4 - I'm jealous of that one as well. Leave for lunch Friday and you're done for the week.

4-10's is probably the best work rotation out there. Hard to beat it for work/life balance. I know a guy that works 4-10s and the off day alternates between Monday and Friday. So every other weekend is a 4 day weekend.
This would also make a lot of people take fewer vacation days and days off for things like medical appts. 4 day weekends numerous times a year would satisfy a lot of people.

This would also make a lot of people take fewer vacation days and days off for things like medical appts. 4 day weekends numerous times a year would satisfy a lot of people.
i am not going to lie, i struggled usung all of my Vacation time when we switched to 4-10s. I usually used a couple weeks during the year on 1 day here, 1 day there to get errands , dr appts, etc. But after we switched to 4-10s it was different, 2 years ago my boss called me in late october and told me 1 had 14 days of vacation left i needed to schedule ( i already had Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks off). I didn't work a whole lot in Nov and Dec that year, since Vac days are use them or lose them..
New company this year (same job, life as a contractor) and i actually lost 1 week of vacation, but here we are at the end of Feb and i haven't used any of my 184 hours.

i am not going to lie, i struggled usung all of my Vacation time when we switched to 4-10s. I usually used a couple weeks during the year on 1 day here, 1 day there to get errands , dr appts, etc. But after we switched to 4-10s it was different, 2 years ago my boss called me in late october and told me 1 had 14 days of vacation left i needed to schedule ( i already had Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks off). I didn't work a whole lot in Nov and Dec that year, since Vac days are use them or lose them..
New company this year (same job, life as a contractor) and i actually lost 1 week of vacation, but here we are at the end of Feb and i haven't used any of my 184 hours.
At the last sheriff's office I worked at, they gave us the option of cashing some of our vacation days around Christmas time in lieu of taking time off, kind of like a Christmas bonus that you paid to yourself with money you didn't really have.

At the last sheriff's office I worked at, they gave us the option of cashing some of our vacation days around Christmas time in lieu of taking time off, kind of like a Christmas bonus that you paid to yourself with money you didn't really have.
i wish they would let us cash out a least a week.

i am not going to lie, i struggled usung all of my Vacation time when we switched to 4-10s.

I never struggle to use PTO....i will take a week off and sit at home on my thumb if i have to

Most of the engineering companies we work with do the 9/9/9/9/4 - I'm jealous of that one as well. Leave for lunch Friday and you're done for the week.

yeah, i think it's pretty common in the engineering world....

But if people were mostly working Monday to Thursday, it'd be Thursday when people would be in a good mood.

Whereas working Tuesday to Friday, they'd still be in a good mood on Friday, but Monday would now be like Sunday and Tuesdays would suck.

Either way it's a three day weekend and four days work, the first day and the last day are always going to be what they are, doesn't really matter which actual day they are, right?
This leaves out folks who do a mid week day. I know a couple who do Mon-Tue then Thurs-Fri. I suppose you can do Tues or Thurs as well to mix it up even more.

I do agree that 4 day work weeks are nicer. 8 hr days would be even better.

The plant i work at started with a 9-80 schedule, work 9 hours a day off every other Friday. which wasn't bad, but 4-10s is a leaps and bounds better..
Norco?

I worked 9 80 too and yea those were pretty cool. Work load was usually lighter on Fridays and that one hour less made the day seem to move quicker. Plus it kinda made you appreciate the three day weekends more alternating like that.

Only thing I don't like about our 4 10 schedule is 6-430. Nine 80s were 7-430 except Fridays. I just hate waking up to an alarm with a number that starts with 5 lol.

If I've got to go to work, then I'd rather work the full day and not have to another. Two halves do not equal a whole imo.
Especially if you live a good ways from the worksite. Just burning gas and time for four hours.

If I've got to go to work, then I'd rather work the full day and not have to another. Two halves do not equal a whole imo.

Fridays feel like 'substitute teacher day' at my office....a bunch of people 'work from home' and it's super quiet around here....plus i wouldn't do much if i was home other than sleep in

and i live about 13 minutes from the office

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom