4 day work week coming to a job near you?... (4 Viewers)

Wus. Try working 4am - 4pm. That alarm starts with a 3. :eek:
Maaan you can keep that bull lol. I know for a fact I could never work a rotating shift job. Along with the constant days/nights schedule change, they always have weird hours like that. Three to three, four to four, five to five. Aint no way.

Maaan you can keep that bull lol. I know for a fact I could never work a rotating shift job. Along with the constant days/nights schedule change, they always have weird hours like that. Three to three, four to four, five to five. Aint no way.
I don't think i can handle shift work. some people love it and swear by it, but i am not built for it.
I work 6-4:30, I set my alarm for 4am, but really don't get out of bed until 4:30 and leave my house at 5:10. One wouldn;t think getting up an hour early is that hard, but almost 3 years later and i still hate it, but the struggle is worth the 4-10..

Lucky for me, I do not rotate. I follow a shift, but only day shift. Other than 4-10's, it's the best work schedule. Lots of off time during the week with no supervision. lol

My last year or so at Best Buy, long long ago, I worked 6-2 shifts. Store didn't open till 10. It was magic. I'd just grab a nap when I got home, and still had plenty of day left.

Bit off topic but from my experience the 9-80 or 4-10's can be an issue especially if you've got small kids and your spouse also works. We discovered that our childcare expenses shot up dramatically due to the need for afterschool care. I also missed a ton of afterschool events if they started at 4 or 5pm. It's not an issue for us now since our kids are grown, but I did switch to a 19-30 hybrid at one point and just took 30 lunches so I could leave 30mins earlier in the afternoons (in lieu of taking the one extra off day).
I know that shift work can often be even less flexible so I can definitely see how the 9-80 or 4-10 would be better.
But a 32-hour work week would be fantastic especially as I get closer to the end of my working career.

When I was active duty we did the Panama Schedule, 12 hour shifts 2 on 2 off, 3 on 2 off, 2 on 3 off. It was pretty cool. When I was with my last police department we did 4 10s. I was off Thursday - Saturday. I loved it.

But if people were mostly working Monday to Thursday, it'd be Thursday when people would be in a good mood.

Whereas working Tuesday to Friday, they'd still be in a good mood on Friday, but Monday would now be like Sunday and Tuesdays would suck.

Either way it's a three day weekend and four days work, the first day and the last day are always going to be what they are, doesn't really matter which actual day they are, right?

If the entire country went to the EXACT same 4 day workweek, then sure, youd have a salient point.. but the premise i was speaking of was one where each employee gets to select their own work week schedule, as long as it equals 4 days in each week .

If the entire country went to the EXACT same 4 day workweek, then sure, youd have a salient point.. but the premise i was speaking of was one where each employee gets to select their own work week schedule, as long as it equals 4 days in each week .
also, the proposed model isn't 4-10s, it is 4-8s, so it wouldn't affect daily routines.
But 4-8s is a fantasy that I don't think we'll ever see.

If you are paid hourly how can people afford to only work 32 hours a week?
Also, I believe that you have to work a minimum of 36 a week to qualify for healthcare. If that's the case I could see why corporations would push for the 32, don't have to offer healthcare.

Also, I believe that you have to work a minimum of 36 a week to qualify for healthcare. If that's the case I could see why corporations would push for the 32, don't have to offer healthcare.
well, the model is to work 32 hours at the 40 hour pay rate. I don't think it's a law that requires someone to work 36 hours to be eligible for healthcare. I think that's more of a corporate thing.
I have worked a couple union jobs that only required 32 hours to be considered full time, but part time still had healthcare, just a different
plan.

well, the model is to work 32 hours at the 40 hour pay rate. I don't think it's a law that requires someone to work 36 hours to be eligible for healthcare. I think that's more of a corporate thing.
I have worked a couple union jobs that only required 32 hours to be considered full time, but part time still had healthcare, just a different
plan.
Yeah, not a law per se but I think it's the healthcare industry that sets the bar on what they consider full time or part time.
The last couple of jobs I had, 36 was considered full time. If you worked part time you had to pay for all of your healthcare, hence essentially no paycheck!
I could easily see large companies taking advantage of this.

"Without reduction in pay" is at the heart of it. Same thing happened when the transition to 40 hour work schedule way back at the Ford plants. I know it seems crazy now, but the traditional 40 work week seemed crazy at one point as well. You look up work weeks back in the 1800's, especially in industry, and you wouldn't believe how much these people worked.

To me, this was always supposed to be part of the deal. As technology and efficiency improves, productivity goes up even as work hours go down. Of course as we know now, productivity, particularly in the US, is sky high but work hours are the same if not more. And all that productivity has just been siphoned in the form of profit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom