Allen better not mess around with naming Rattler QB#2 (2 Viewers)

Am I seriously witnessing an argument over who is more or less to blame for the current state of the team, based entirely on a large number of presumptive, unverifiable statements?

I mean, there are more pointless exercises, but not all that many.

The carping posters spend all their time complaining about everything, on almost every topic. It's a fairly strong and observable correlation. This suggests nothing will ever satisfy them.

Everyone else is in varying degrees of disappointment, naturally caused by the fact that only the fans of one team a year can ultimately be happy with how their season ended. And even then, I bet a material percentage of them engage in self-appointed misery as well. I think that's just part of the human condition.
It’s the law of the internet to argue over such matters and have such differing opinions!

The YouTube video below gives a pretty balanced view of the QB competition in the Saints QB room and how many here are overhyping Rattler a bit early.

Some of ya'll here are so smitten with Rattler that an 11-page thread like this exists - "Allen better not mess with Naming Rattler #2 QB." What?

This coming right behind a 5 page thread that dominated the front page here a little over a week ago, "Rattler game 2 solidifies". A future HOFer already?

Some have stated that if he isn't named #2 QB Allen will be hurting his confidence and stunting his growth when it's only a matter of time before he's the starter. I seriously doubt that Rattler is so shallow that he will be emotionally destroyed if he isn't named the #2 in his rookie year. It's obvious though that some here will.

I get the excitement to have a young rookie QB on the roster that appears to have the tools to be a starting QB in the NFL. But guys, tone it down just a bit maybe. While I'm all in on hoping Rattler becomes something special for the Saints at some point in time, how about for now we let the coaches do their jobs.

While the focus in this thread title appears to question Allens ability to judge the players on his roster, it fails to take into consideration that the Saints have a QB coach in Andrew Janocko and an Offensive Coordinator named Klint Kubiak that works with the QBs daily, directly coaching and teaching them in practices, and hold meetings while instructing and critiquing them. Allen is not in those meetings. He's not the first line of evaluation. His decision about the depth status in the QB room is heavily influenced by the input of Janocko and Kubiak, who also have Senior Offensive Assistant Rick Dennison and two young Offensive Assistants in Kevin Petry and Jordan Traylor on the staff. The Offensive staff working and evaluating the players in the QB room is a mix of young, seasoned minds, even younger minds, and an older mind for balance when those younger guys may want input from someone who has already seen it all in this league.

Speaking of Dennison, let's consider the knowledge and experience he brings to the table for the Saints.

Here's some Excerpts from his bio at the Saints Official Website and Homepage under Coaches.

Link: https://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches-roster/rick-dennison

Rick Dennison brings a wealth of offensive experience to the Saints in 2023 as the club's senior offensive assistant. Entering his 28th season of coaching in the NFL, Dennison has been part of 13 playoff appearances, five division titles, and three Super Bowl victories - XXXII, XXXIII and 50.

Dennison has been a part of winning programs, posting a .500 or better record in 20 of his 27 NFL seasons and has been part of 12 seasons of 10+ wins under his belt. His 17 seasons in Denver resulted in three Super Bowl titles, eight playoff appearances, four AFC West titles and eight seasons of 10+ wins while only suffering two losing seasons.

Dennison has coached 18 different Pro Bowl players across seven different positions, including six offensive linemen. Of those six, five made their first Pro Bowl appearance under him, while three made all their trips with him as their coach. In Dennison's time as an offensive line coach and offensive coordinator, his rushing offenses have averaged 2,056 yards a season (128.1 ypg.) and 4.4 yards per carry, while producing 14.8 touchdowns a season.

Dennison served as offensive line coach/run game coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings from 2019-20 and as Senior Offensive Advisor in 2021.

Prior to joining the Vikings, Dennison served on the staffs of the New York Jets (2018), Buffalo Bills (2017), Baltimore Ravens (2014), Houston Texans (2010-13) and two stints with the Denver Broncos (1995-2009, '15-16) in a variety of roles.

In 2017, Dennison was Offensive Coordinator for the Bills, helping a Buffalo offense that ranked sixth in rushing.

In his return to Denver as the Offensive Coordinator in 2015, Dennison oversaw the Broncos offense as the team navigated a difficult schedule to finish with a 12-4 record, the AFC West Division title and the No. 1 seed in the AFC. Despite mid-season injury to Hall of Fame QB Peyton Manning, Dennison helped the Broncos go 5-2 in QB Brock Osweiler's first seven career starts before Manning returned in Week 17. The offense went on to commit just three turnovers during the postseason to help secure a World Championship in Super Bowl 50 over Carolina.

In Dennison's lone season with Baltimore (2014) and only season Coaching Quarterbacks, Joe Flacco established career-highs in passing yards (3,986-since broken) and touchdown passes (27) and posted a combined eight games with a passer rating above 100.0 while being sacked just 19 times—29 fewer than the previous year.

His first stint as an Offensive Coordinator came with the Broncos (2006-08). The offense ranked seventh in the NFL (350.5 yards per game) as Dennison oversaw one of just two units in the league to rank in the top ten in both passing and rushing.

Undrafted out of Colorado State University, Dennison played nine seasons at linebacker for the Broncos, appearing in 128 games (52 starts) and totaling 514 tackles, 6.5 sacks, four interceptions, six forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries. He participated in three Super Bowls as a player and was the team's recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award in 1989.

At CSU, he earned three varsity letters and was named a second-team Academic All-American as a senior. Dennison earned two degrees in civil engineering from CSU, first his bachelor's in 1979 and later his master's degree in 1982.

Now while many here quickly assume Allen knows nothing about the offensive side of the ball while giving him credit as a mastermind defensive coordinator, you have to realize to be good at game planning on how to stop the opposing offense you would first have to understand what the opponents offense is doing.

At the end of the day, Allen as HC, has the authority to run the team as he sees fit, but he may also be smart enough to defer some of the depth analysis to his assistants who he has made part of his program. TEAM > me

Hopefully the staff he has assembled will gel and excel in taking the Saints to new heights not seen recently.

Now, back to the video. Give it a watch.

Saints Fans Are GOING TOO FAR... by wifi willie:​

Last edited:
C‘mon man. These all sound like Loomis decisions to me.
I’m not a man
The WR room today is literally the worst it has been since 2006.
No it’s not - it’s better than it was in 2021, you’d have to go to the Sean Dawkins-Eddie Kennison era to find worse WRs than the 2021 WR room
You’re blaming Payton for two DE’s that didn’t work out, but who’s to say that he made that decision?
So was Sean Payton only a genius to you? All these whatabouts come across like you taking Payton’s misses personally. He didn’t get everything right, but no one does. It’s okay!
Wasn’t he here when they picked Trey Hendrickson? Was Payton the reason that Hendrickson left? Didn’t this regime draft Foskey. Didn’t they pick Penning?
He was also there when they picked Rick Leonard in the fourth round. We can do this tit-for-tat all day but I don’t find it useful to the 2024 Saints.
Last I checked Loomis is in charge of the salary cap.
Making it possible for the HC to sign the players they wanted - even the bad ones (hi Jairus Byrd, sup CJ Spiller, keep your head up Brandon Browner)

Now onto the young QB problem. Doesn’t this franchise have a history of not picking a QB in the first round? Who’s to say that Payton didn’t want to trade up for Mahomes and Loomis said no to stay put? We don’t know. But what I do know is that Denver traded a bunch of first round picks for Russell Wilson, then traded a first round pick to the Saints for Sean Payton himself. Yet, Payton right now in Denver has a first round QB before the Saints.
Just this decade, several of Drew Brees’ high-level peers retired. The Steelers, still coached by Mike Tomlin, picked Kenny Pickett. The Patriots, still coached by Bill Belichick, picked Mac Jones. The Giants, not a beacon of coaching stability after Tom Coughlin moved on, still picked Daniel Jones. The Chargers, who were about to move on from Anthony Lynn, still picked Justin Herbert. The Saints, still under Sean Payton’s coaching, picked… Ian Book, two years after jumping half the first round to take a small-school defensive end. I’ll leave it to you to figure out which of these isn’t like the others.
How is that even possible? His record last season wasn’t much worse than the Saints’.

It’s the law of the internet to argue over such matters and have such differing opinions!
I agree. The b-tching about the b-tching is mostly worse than the actual b-tching.

And the idea that even SB winning fan boards are over run with b-tching fans is what a real b-tching fan does.

😘🃏

All I can say is let that man breathe. It is crazy to draw conclusion over 4 quarters of football. I will say last game do push Rattler to the number 2 after a tight race. But keep in mind he is a rookie who also struggled a bit in training camp. Throughout my many years of watching preseason football, I have seen so many rookie quarterbacks having good preseason games, but struggle when they have to play in the regular season. I very much rather Carr starts all the games without any issues. Allow both backups to sit behind Carr up until whenever.

I think it's possible he won't name an official #2, and they'll just alternate being the backup each week. It would be one way to get them both reps during the season.

I think it's possible he won't name an official #2, and they'll just alternate being the backup each week. It would be one way to get them both reps during the season.
IMO that would be a silly way to determine who is going into the game that week if Carr gets hurt, it happened twice last season. Whoever the #2 is they need consistent reps with the starters during practice so they can get as many reps with each other as they can.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom