Allen better not mess around with naming Rattler QB#2 (4 Viewers)

If a backup QB has to be announced, I think it will be Haener as he is more "seasoned" than Rattler as to give Rattler more time to get accustomed to being a professional week in and week out.
For what it's worth, Haener is listed second team on the team website, so at least for now it looks like he'd be the first man up. And I think your rationale is correct, in that Rattler isn't ready for that responsibility yet.

But at the same time, what seasoning does Haener really have, and between the two, does a year carrying a clipboard on gameday and running the scout team really make up for him only being able to make a fraction of the throws that Rattler can make?

I haven't seen anything from Haener that has suggested there's anything special about him, and wouldn't be opposed to letting him go in favor of a veteran backup, with Rattler filling the project/prospect role that Haener filled last year. But Carr has also been a pretty durable quarterback throughout his career, so maybe the whole backup question is moot.

Why is it just before the regular season starts, Dennis Allen does SOMETHING to tick off the fanbase when we're trying, TRYING EVER SO HARD to tolerate him and give him as much rope as physically possible? What is wrong with this man's brain?
My guess would be because he doesn’t give two craps what any of the fans think about any of his decisions.

And that’s how it should be.

Football isn’t a democracy.

Allen is paid to coach the Saints - we are not. If he doesn’t succeed this year, he will more than likely be gone.

How he does his job isn’t up for discussion and vote with the fans. He doesn’t need your approval and clearly he doesn’t seek it either - which really seems to bother a lot of people on this board.

If you don’t like Allen - don’t watch. Don’t go to the games. Otherwise, control the things you can and stop looking for reasons to get angry.

My guess would be because he doesn’t give two craps what any of the fans think about any of his decisions.

And that’s how it should be.

Football isn’t a democracy.

Allen is paid to coach the Saints - we are not. If he doesn’t succeed this year, he will more than likely be gone.

How he does his job isn’t up for discussion and vote with the fans. He doesn’t need your approval and clearly he doesn’t seek it either - which really seems to bother a lot of people on this board.

If you don’t like Allen - don’t watch. Don’t go to the games. Otherwise, control the things you can and stop looking for reasons to get angry.
Can we at least discuss him on a sports discussion board or is that off limits too?

I have not seen “hate,” except for an OP or two.

Allen has not proven himself a better than replacement level HC. That’s not hate, it’s the record.
I’ll definitely agree that the record is pretty dismal, so no argument there.

Where I get a bit exhausted at the Allen vitriol on this board is that the frustrations that so many fans attribute to Allen is more of a product of the absolute mess the franchise was left in by Sean Payton. Loomis also gets some of the blame for saddling Allen with a roster and coaching staff that were brought in by the aforementioned coach.

Despite that, Allen willingly took the job - so the results are on his hands. But I try to look at this from the perspective of what’s happening now and what I’m seeing is a coach who is trying to rework the roster, trying to retool the coaching staff, trying to make more sound financial decisions, trying to work with what he has with an eye toward the future.

Does that mean he will still produce losses as opposed to wins? Maybe - and if that’s the case then he deserves to go.

But for now, he’s the coach of the team we love and for that, I’ll offer my support and optimism because each season is its own entity.

I misspoke in a previous post where I said Allen’s decisions as HC aren’t “up for discussion”. I meant to imply that they aren’t up for discussion with him - as in, we aren’t a part of the decision process.

I get that there is a large group of fans who attempt to find fault in everything Allen does or attempt to tie everything negative that happens to a player or otherwise to Allen. It’s just bizarre to see posts from fans taking Allen to task because he might not name the backup QB they wanted. Not that a favorite QB was cut - but rather that he might possibly not outright be named the backup. It just feels like fishing for negativity.

But again, it’s a message board and therefore anything can and will be discussed and that’s part of what makes this board one of the best I’ve seen in all sports boards and a reason I’ve been a member for over 25 years. So we take the good with the bad sometimes.

Also, I’m old and unfamiliar in the ways of modern sports fandom. 😆 maybe the incessant negativity is part of the life of a modern sports fan.

I’ll definitely agree that the record is pretty dismal, so no argument there.

Where I get a bit exhausted at the Allen vitriol on this board is that the frustrations that so many fans attribute to Allen is more of a product of the absolute mess the franchise was left in by Sean Payton. Loomis also gets some of the blame for saddling Allen with a roster and coaching staff that were brought in by the aforementioned coach.

Despite that, Allen willingly took the job - so the results are on his hands. But I try to look at this from the perspective of what’s happening now and what I’m seeing is a coach who is trying to rework the roster, trying to retool the coaching staff, trying to make more sound financial decisions, trying to work with what he has with an eye toward the future.

Does that mean he will still produce losses as opposed to wins? Maybe - and if that’s the case then he deserves to go.

But for now, he’s the coach of the team we love and for that, I’ll offer my support and optimism because each season is its own entity.

I misspoke in a previous post where I said Allen’s decisions as HC aren’t “up for discussion”. I meant to imply that they aren’t up for discussion with him - as in, we aren’t a part of the decision process.

I get that there is a large group of fans who attempt to find fault in everything Allen does or attempt to tie everything negative that happens to a player or otherwise to Allen. It’s just bizarre to see posts from fans taking Allen to task because he might not name the backup QB they wanted. Not that a favorite QB was cut - but rather that he might possibly not outright be named the backup. It just feels like fishing for negativity.

But again, it’s a message board and therefore anything can and will be discussed and that’s part of what makes this board one of the best I’ve seen in all sports boards and a reason I’ve been a member for over 25 years. So we take the good with the bad sometimes.

Also, I’m old and unfamiliar in the ways of modern sports fandom. 😆 maybe the incessant negativity is part of the life of a modern sports fan.
Payton did not leave the franchise in a mess. What exactly did he do to deserve this claim?

The mess was created by constantly being in a win now mentality. Which is fine when Brees was under center. The problem is that Brees has been gone for years now and the process hasn’t changed one bit. For all we know that’s the reason Payton left.

Payton did not leave the franchise in a mess. What exactly did he do to deserve this claim?

The mess was created by constantly being in a win now mentality. Which is fine when Brees was under center. The problem is that Brees has been gone for years now and the process hasn’t changed one bit. For all we know that’s the reason Payton left.
Bad wide receiver room that he insisted was not bad, two underperforming first-round picks at DE, no bonafide young QB to build behind, salary cap hell.

Agree with your entire post, but wanted to focus on this part. I saw on a different site where someone noted that there’s a type of cynicism that’s the prevailing attitude in New Orleans, and now it’s even getting to the football fans. I’m far from home so I’m not sure how true that is, but for someone else to identify it must mean there’s something there.

It’s also often been stated on social media, when engaged in team v team smack talk, that “your words can’t hurt me because I hate stuff about this team more than you do” but those feelings were always internal thoughts that only made their way out on gameday as the games played and the results became official. “There goes so-and-so stinking up the joint again!” as he misses on a crucial play as we all commiserated. Now, the team sites can’t so much as post a hype video without rampant negativity pouring in from people who say they’re fans of the team!

Bad wide receiver room that he insisted was not bad, two underperforming first-round picks at DE, no bonafide young QB to build behind, salary cap hell.
C‘mon man. These all sound like Loomis decisions to me.

The WR room today is literally the worst it has been since 2006.

You’re blaming Payton for two DE’s that didn’t work out, but who’s to say that he made that decision? Wasn’t he here when they picked Trey Hendrickson? Was Payton the reason that Hendrickson left? Didn’t this regime draft Foskey. Didn’t they pick Penning?

Last I checked Loomis is in charge of the salary cap.

Now onto the young QB problem. Doesn’t this franchise have a history of not picking a QB in the first round? Who’s to say that Payton didn’t want to trade up for Mahomes and Loomis said no to stay put? We don’t know.

But what I do know is that Denver traded a bunch of first round picks for Russell Wilson, then traded a first round pick to the Saints for Sean Payton himself. Yet, Payton right now in Denver has a first round QB before the Saints. How is that even possible? His record last season wasn’t much worse than the Saints’.

You’re blaming Payton for two DE’s that didn’t work out, but who’s to say that he made that decision? Wasn’t he here when they picked Trey Hendrickson? Was Payton the reason that Hendrickson left? Didn’t this regime draft Foskey. Didn’t they pick Penning?

Now onto the young QB problem. Doesn’t this franchise have a history of not picking a QB in the first round? Who’s to say that Payton didn’t want to trade up for Mahomes and Loomis said no to stay put? We don’t know.

But what I do know is that Denver traded a bunch of first round picks for Russell Wilson, then traded a first round pick to the Saints for Sean Payton himself. Yet, Payton right now in Denver has a first round QB before the Saints. How is that even possible? His record last season wasn’t much worse than the Saints’.
Am I seriously witnessing an argument over who is more or less to blame for the current state of the team, based entirely on a large number of presumptive, unverifiable statements?

I mean, there are more pointless exercises, but not all that many.

The carping posters spend all their time complaining about everything, on almost every topic. It's a fairly strong and observable correlation. This suggests nothing will ever satisfy them.

Everyone else is in varying degrees of disappointment, naturally caused by the fact that only the fans of one team a year can ultimately be happy with how their season ended. And even then, I bet a material percentage of them engage in self-appointed misery as well. I think that's just part of the human condition.

Agree with your entire post, but wanted to focus on this part. I saw on a different site where someone noted that there’s a type of cynicism that’s the prevailing attitude in New Orleans, and now it’s even getting to the football fans. I’m far from home so I’m not sure how true that is, but for someone else to identify it must mean there’s something there.

It’s also often been stated on social media, when engaged in team v team smack talk, that “your words can’t hurt me because I hate stuff about this team more than you do” but those feelings were always internal thoughts that only made their way out on gameday as the games played and the results became official. “There goes so-and-so stinking up the joint again!” as he misses on a crucial play as we all commiserated. Now, the team sites can’t so much as post a hype video without rampant negativity pouring in from people who say they’re fans of the team!

Im not there to see the attitude of the city, but I will say that when I talk to my friends, those I thought would never consider leaving NOLA, they now talk about selling everything and moving to Florida..
As far as the board and fans, it’s just like everything else in this world today. The haters always have to be the loudest, and incessantly refute any counter arguments. It helps to make up for their lack in numbers.

That may be, but we had opportunities to bring WRs in. Same with DEs. There is no rule that says we have to stay status quo. The goal is to build a complimentary roster. 3 years removed from SP and we have one 1st rd pick, an UDFA we lucked out with, journeymen, Blockzillas, late rd picks, and UDFAs for WRs. Not sure how this is being laid at the feet of SP?!?! Visor dude wanted the job. No one told him to keep Sneaky Pete. More or less for 2 years. No one told him to gobble up CBs like PAC MAN. SP left him a great defense, which should have allowed visor dude to bring in some offensive skill position players. Most HCs taking over a team, don’t even get half the side of the ball in good shape.

1725126082173.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom