Am I the only person who thinks our first pick should be OLB? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I see alot of people saying we need DE/DT...I agree but an OLB is more of a need. I think the guy we could get and would be much improvement is this kid Bruce Carter from North Carolina. He is fast and he is an excellent special teams player...he could be the best kick blocker in all of football. He would kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak.

After Von Miller and Akeem Ayers there are no OLBs which I'd give a 1st round grade to.

Bruce Carter was a 1st round pick but after he tore his ACL we can get him in the 2nd round.

BPA as long as he is in the front 7. OLB is right there with a fearsome DE because we only have one DE and he is getting past his prime and could drop of all of a sudden.

Only if Von Miller falls to us. Which I think is possible since the combine seems to always catapault other hidden gems up peoples draft boards

Quan Sturdivant is another player to keep your eyes on. Plays inside some, but I think he could slide outside and play weakside. And Bruce Carter much later, what with being on the shelf with a torn ACL he's recovering from.

i dont think OLB is a bigger need than DT but we definitly need something there

IMO it all starts up front and you can have all the skill players you want on either side of the ball but without some talent on the front lines we'll still be wishing for more

get some guys to eat up some blockers and you'll see a vast improvement on the 2nd level because they'll be able to make tackles instead of get off blocks

BPA as long as he is in the front 7. OLB is right there with a fearsome DE because we only have one DE and he is getting past his prime and could drop of all of a sudden.

BPA at position of need is the only way to keep your talent level at the NFLs highest level.

I don't deny that OLB is a need but our biggest need is a pass rush. We desperatly need a pass rusher, be it from DE/DT/OLB. Personally I am worried that when we pick there won't be a premier pass rusher available. I am not impressed with Cameron Hayward, who looks to be the popular pick in early mock drafts. I don't want to reach for a pass rusher, but it is our biggest need.

I hate to think about the draft until free agency is well under way. I think we'll re-sign most of our critical free agents and I fully expect them to make a push to sign Barry Cofield of the Giants. I also think we come out of free agency with at least two starting positions of defense filled.

We also have to remember that Cassilas was slated to start before he got injured. I think that if he is completely over his injury that the coaching staff is depending on him to start at WLB with Vilma intrenched at MLB. I also was not completely unimpressed with the play of young guys like Marvin Mitchell, Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Specifically Dunbar showed some flashes of being able to start.

If you ask me the weaker of the two was the defensive line. Below average players like Akin Ayodele, my bad Remi, (who was horrible, I don't care what you say) and Alex Brown (who's better days are clearly behind him) are more of a concern to me than young guys like Cassillas and Dunbar.

BPA at position of need is the only way to keep your talent level at the NFLs highest level.

lol

you always pick a player you need. otherwise you dont pick him. thats how it works for every team, every year

I don't deny that OLB is a need but our biggest need is a pass rush. We desperatly need a pass rusher, be it from DE/DT/OLB. Personally I am worried that when we pick there won't be a premier pass rusher available. I am not impressed with Cameron Hayward, who looks to be the popular pick in early mock drafts. I don't want to reach for a pass rusher, but it is our biggest need.

I hate to think about the draft until free agency is well under way. I think we'll re-sign most of our critical free agents and I fully expect them to make a push to sign Barry Cofield of the Giants. I also think we come out of free agency with at least two starting positions of defense filled.

We also have to remember that Cassilas was slated to start before he got injured. I think that if he is completely over his injury that the coaching staff is depending on him to start at WLB with Vilma intrenched at MLB. I also was not completely unimpressed with the play of young guys like Marvin Mitchell, Jo-Lonn Dunbar. Specifically Dunbar showed some flashes of being able to start.

If you ask me the weaker of the two was the defensive line. Below average players like Akin Ayodele (who was horrible, I don't care what you say) and Alex Brown (who's better days are clearly behind him) are more of a concern to me than young guys like Cassillas and Dunbar.

Remi, Akin. Doesn't really matter, I don't want either of them on the Saints unless for depth next year.

Our first round pick needs to someone on defense to help the front seven. Shanle and Dunbar just can't cut it. Remi and Brown are good rotational players just not starters. Also Harper has got to go, never been a big fan of his. He is the Jason David of safeties.

FA may not start until after the draft. It'll be interesting to see how the FO approaches the draft because of that. Do we go BPA and then aggressively pursue the needs we didn't fill or what.

Some teams argue they take BPA regardless of need. I don't really believe it.

its just not true. look at any draft. teams pick players based on the pieces they are missing on their team

the need may be very small, but a player may be too good to pass on. regardless you arent going to pick a player that isnt going to fill a need because you leave that hole on your team there and it starts to become increasingly glaring the longer you hold off on filling it

our needs at DE, LB, and DT are starting to show because we havent addressed them in a timely manner

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom