Analysis Analysis of Draft Picks & Undrafted Rookie Free Agents (1 Viewer)

Mason Tipton- WR, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Yale (5'10"/179#) 40 Time- 4.32 Vertical- 37" Broad Jump- 10'5" Bench- 12 Reps.

I was able to watch a good bit of highlight clips of Tipton, but that was about it.

My Thoughts:
He showed rare speed and acceleration. He looks like he could take the top off of defenses, he definitely looks like he could be used as a deep threat. He is instinctive as a pass catcher on the move. Tipton has sticky and sudden hands to pluck the ball out of the air. Press corners can sometimes hinder him on his initial release at the line. He sometimes runs sloppy routes, that will need to be cleaned up and he's unable to get out of tight spaces after the catch. I think he would be a good candidate to work in the slot too. Tipton's ball skills shine, he has the ability to track, create space and lay out for difficult catches. He has plenty of potential to improve with more good coaching. His ball skills and speed should get him a look in mini-camp and training camp, but I think Tipton making the practice squad would be his best first step for him as a developmental project.
This was just my observations of Tipton of what I could see from highlight film. Someone else may have a different view of what they have seen or heard about him. If you have more information, it would be more than welcomed.

Octopuses....octopi....take your pick. LOL
I'll take the correct one, octopuses. The word 'octopus' does not have a Latin derivation, thus the rule which would make it plural by adding 'i' as the suffix does not apply. If you really want to get pedantic, it should probably be 'octopodes', since the word comes to us from Greek.

I'll take the correct one, octopuses. The word 'octopus' does not have a Latin derivation, thus the rule which would make it plural by adding 'i' as the suffix does not apply. If you really want to get pedantic, it should probably be 'octopodes', since the word comes to us from Greek.
Sir.... this is Wendy's, there are no octa-peda-pida-podes on the menu, now what is your order?

Dallin Holker- TE, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Colorado St. (6'4"/246#) 40 Time-4.78 Vertical- 32.5" Broad Jump- 10'2" Bench- 15 Reps.

I was able to find a good bit of information on Holker and watched some games and highlight reels of him.
Holker had some pretty decent career stats in college, Total Receptions- 106 Total Rec. Yds.- 1288 9-TD's.
This is the analysis I put together based on what I saw and read.

The Positives:
Holker has a decent, enormous catch radius and shows the ability to get low to dig out low passes. He has excellent receiving abilities, with a knack for finding soft spots in defenses. He can move the chains and has the skills to stand out in the red zone with his sneaky foot speed and long-stride. Holker has strong and reliable hands, ensuring ensuring consistent catch completions. He's very effective in the red zone, with his ability to catch and secure TD's. Holker is also capable of making plays after the catch. He also has a good understanding of offensive schemes and adapts well to different play calls. He has excellent balance, athleticism and flexibility to adjust and make awkward catches.

The Negatives:
Holker needs to improve his overall athletic explosiveness, he can be a little slow at times firing off the line of scrimmage. He lacks long speed which may limit his ability to stretch the field vertically. He needs some work on his agility to move more effectively in tight spaces.

My Final Thoughts:
I'm telling y'all, I believe Holker is going to end up being a special player by the end of the season. He could upgrade our TE group almost immediately. I find one of his strengths lie in his ability to deliver in crucial moments and even against tough opposition. and that makes him a reliable target in clutch situations. I saw this time and time again in the games I watched of him. Holker has good soft hands, good catch technique and his ability to gain separation with head fakes and stutter steps are also good positives to his play. However, there are areas where Holker could use some improvement, His reaction time at the snap, his play strength and his blocking at the line is inconsistent. I'm pretty sure our coaches can get that done.
I read some articles where some of the analysts said he doesn't have elite speed. For a player his size, he ran a 4.78/40, so what is an elite 40 time for a TE? They Failed to mention what that time was. Jimmy Graham ran a 4.56/40, that's only two hundredths of a second faster, that's not much difference and he was considered to have elite speed back then. Well, anyway, Holker's versatility, excellent hands and athleticism will give the Saints a good TE with a balanced skill set in the TE group. I also read where he can also be, and has played the FB position, just another versatility asset for Holker.

Sincere Haynesworth- C/G, Undrafted Free Agent, Tulane (6'1"/310#) 40 Time- 5.21 Vertical- 30" Broad Jump- 8'9" Bench- 21 Reps.

I was surprised to find this much information on Haynesworth. I got to watch a few Tulane games this past season. I wasn't really keyed in on Haynesworth, but he did catch my eye in a couple of games and tapes that I watched. I was actually scouting Pratt in the games I was watching. Sincere has a lot of experience. He's played in 61 college games and has 3934 snaps.

The Positives:
In the run games, Haynesworth shows a good burst off the line of scrimmage and wins at the point of attack. He has the speed and athleticism to move to the second level and land blocks. Sincere understands angles and plays with good leverage. He has developed great maturity and has a high football IQ. He understands the game extremely well after playing both Center and Guard and knows what's to be expected from playing multiple positions. Haynesworth is fundamentally sound and understands blocking angles, using body positioning to his advantage. Despite not being the tallest, for an O-Lineman, He still has decently long arms and utilizes what length he does have really well. His size also helps with his leverage and balance.

The Negatives:
Haynesworth's height may be one of the only downfalls of his game. At times he can be beaten at the line of scrimmage by bigger defensive linemen. He needs to get stronger at the point of attack due to occasionally getting beat at the line.

My Final Thoughts:
I believe Haynesworth could develop into a solid backup and maybe an eventual starter for the Saints in the future. He just needs to get stronger and refine his technique. Haynesworth thrives on his physicality. I like how he out-grapples the bigger D-Linemen and wins in the phone booth with his tenacity and upper-body strength. I mentioned earlier about his height maybe being his only problem, but here's a few players that have carved out nice careers for themselves and they weren't very tall, Aaron Brewer- 6'1" Titans, Tyler Linderbaum- 6'2" Ravens and Jason Kelce- 6'2". So I'm not going to make a big deal about that, I've watched him play and he handles himself very well against tough and bigger competition. Based on what I read, his teammates and coaches have said "He's a great leader and someone you want on your team".

Kyle Hergel- C/G, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Boston College (6'2"/315") 40 Time- 5.18 Vertical- 33" Broad Jump- 9'4" Bench- 30 Reps.

I found some good information on Hergel. His RAS- 7.66 which is real good for O-Linemen. His arms are short @ 321/4". His hands are pretty big @10.5". He's played in 57 total career games, He's allowed, Sacks- 5, QB Hurries 22. His overall career performance rating- 71.4, Run Blocking- 70.2, Pass Blocking- 79.3, Tot. Run Block Snaps- 1,462, Tot. Pass Block Snaps- 1,774. Those are pretty decent stats.

The Positives:
Hergel has very good play strength. He consistently displaces opponents in the run game with strong leg drive and very good upper-body strength. His shorter build often gives him good leverage under opponents and his big hands also helps him control the chest of his opponents. Hergel frequently drives his opponents into the ground to end plays. He's solid in zone schemes, especially in more Inside Zone Concepts. He is solid in pass protection, getting out of his stance and to set points smoothly and quickly. Hergel is also very good in Man-Gap blocking schemes.

The Negatives:
Hergel struggles at times to stay engaged in the run game especially at the second level and sometimes lunges and loses his balance. His hand placement can occasionally get sloppy, costing him some power. He's not as dominant against bigger, stronger and faster D-Linemen. Hergel can struggle at times with penalties, pre-snap and post-snap, his over-aggressiveness leads to those. His lack of foot quickness may prevent him from having success on long pull blocks.

My Final Thoughts:
This is what I think of Hergel. He is a 6th year player coming out of college this year. He is already almost 24 which makes me think that he may have reached the top of his development curve and may not provide more upside beyond what he already has. I hope I'm wrong and the O-Line coaches can get more out of him. Hergel could have a chance to develop inside as a Guard or Right Tackle, he has also played the Center position. Hergel could be a good prospect for the Saints Zone-Blocking scheme, he has played in multiple Zone-Blocking schemes. If nothing else, Hergel's versatility could eventually be enough to make him at least a good quality backup. He also still needs a little work on his strength, agility and balance.

Just another little tidbit on Hergel's power. He power-cleaned 385# and benched 500#.

Nouredin Nouili- G, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Notre Dame (6'4"/316#) 40 Time- 5.18 Vertical- 31" Broad Jump- 9'3" Bench- 18 Reps.

I hardly found any information on Nouili. Here are a few things I read about him, He started all 11 this past season. He was primarily used at the Left Guard position. In that spot, Nouili helped anchor a Nebraska offensive line that ranked 2nd in the Big Ten in average rushing yards. He was an exchange student from Germany.

My Thoughts:
What I think at this point with the limited to no information i found on Nouili is he will be a project that that will probably end up on the practice squad for development, unless he shows out at OTA's and training camp. From the few articles I read about him, he has good movement skills, is strong at the point of attack, is good in pass protection and is a very good run blocker. Being that I didn't have any games or tape to look at I can't really give y'all a better analysis of him. If anyone else has any more information on him, I would deeply appreciate if y'all would post it.

Kyle Hergel- C/G, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Boston College (6'2"/315") 40 Time- 5.18 Vertical- 33" Broad Jump- 9'4" Bench- 30 Reps.

I found some good information on Hergel. His RAS- 7.66 which is real good for O-Linemen. His arms are short @ 321/4". His hands are pretty big @10.5". He's played in 57 total career games, He's allowed, Sacks- 5, QB Hurries 22. His overall career performance rating- 71.4, Run Blocking- 70.2, Pass Blocking- 79.3, Tot. Run Block Snaps- 1,462, Tot. Pass Block Snaps- 1,774. Those are pretty decent stats.

The Positives:
Hergel has very good play strength. He consistently displaces opponents in the run game with strong leg drive and very good upper-body strength. His shorter build often gives him good leverage under opponents and his big hands also helps him control the chest of his opponents. Hergel frequently drives his opponents into the ground to end plays. He's solid in zone schemes, especially in more Inside Zone Concepts. He is solid in pass protection, getting out of his stance and to set points smoothly and quickly. Hergel is also very good in Man-Gap blocking schemes.

The Negatives:
Hergel struggles at times to stay engaged in the run game especially at the second level and sometimes lunges and loses his balance. His hand placement can occasionally get sloppy, costing him some power. He's not as dominant against bigger, stronger and faster D-Linemen. Hergel can struggle at times with penalties, pre-snap and post-snap, his over-aggressiveness leads to those. His lack of foot quickness may prevent him from having success on long pull blocks.

My Final Thoughts:
This is what I think of Hergel. He is a 6th year player coming out of college this year. He is already almost 24 which makes me think that he may have reached the top of his development curve and may not provide more upside beyond what he already has. I hope I'm wrong and the O-Line coaches can get more out of him. Hergel could have a chance to develop inside as a Guard or Right Tackle, he has also played the Center position. Hergel could be a good prospect for the Saints Zone-Blocking scheme, he has played in multiple Zone-Blocking schemes. If nothing else, Hergel's versatility could eventually be enough to make him at least a good quality backup. He also still needs a little work on his strength, agility and balance.

Just another little tidbit on Hergel's power. He power-cleaned 385# and benched 500#.
with good o line coaching this guy could be fantastic.

Kyler Baugh- DT, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Minnesota, (6'3"/305#)

I was able to get some good information on Baugh and got to watch a few of his games.
These are his career stats. and they aren't too shabby.

Baugh's career stats., Games Played- 51, Tot. Tckls.- 164, Tot. Solo Tkls.- 70, Tot. Assists.- 94, TFL's- 21.5, Sacks- 9.5, Passes Def.- 8. He plated 5 yrs. of college ball and was a 4 yr. starter.

The Positives:
Baugh has a big, thick, athletic build of a body. He is a gap disruptor who moves well upfield, he has good use of his hands at the point of attack and he doesn't allow the offensive lineman to get good hand placement on his body. Baugh gets good push upfield in pass defense, he is is also a very good run stuffer. He displays very good ability at disengaging blocks and runs downplay to make tackles in goal-line situations. He does a good job of closing off run run lanes forcing ball carriers to bounce outside. Baugh has a relentless motor and very good play strength. He gets off his blocks and runs downplay with violence to make tackles on ball carriers

The Negatives;
Baugh needs to be more consistent keeping his eyes in the backfield. He will occasionally overrun plays. Baugh can get overaggressive and needs to be more consistent slowing down and sinking his hips to gain better balance to stay square against O-Linemen. He has some trouble at times disengaging combo blocks at the line of scrimmage and gets washed out of position resulting in him losing his leverage.

My Final Thoughts:
In Baugh I see an athletic defensive tackle, who has quick penetration skills and attracts double-teams due to his ability to disrupt run gaps. He's also scheme versatile, he can play in either a 4-3/3-4 defensive schemes, rotating from 0-Tech., 1-Tech. and 3-Tech. He can take on combo blocks to allow other D-Linemen and LB's to engage and make plays in the pocket. Baugh could develop into a good quality DT, he just needs to be more consistent with certain aspects of his game. Hopefully our defensive coaching staff can help his correct the inconsistencies and help him develop. In reality, I don't see Baugh making the final 53, unless something like he outperforms other DT's or God forbid, injuries happen to push him up the list. Right now the Saints have a log jam at the DT position. but He is a perfect candidate for the practice squad further development.

Does anyone know if we signed any of the invites to mini-camps? If so, can you post the names on here, please. That way I can do the research on them. I haven't heard or seen anything.

Nathan Latu- DE, Undrafted Rookie Free Agent, Oklahoma St. (6'4/265#) 40 Time-4.73 Vertical- 32" Bench- 25 Reps.

Latu's career stats. Games Played- 37 Tot. Tkls.- 74.5 Solo-39 Asts.- 24 Sacks- 11.5
1 yr. JUCO (Snow College) and 3 yrs. Oklahoma St.

My Thoughts:
Latu is one guy I found just about absolutely no information on and no games or game tape to look at. But I did find one interview with one of his coaches. His coach said, that when Latu first got there, when he would lose at the line of scrimmage, he would just stand there and quit on the play. But the past couple of years he really started maturing and that when he would lose at the line, he wouldn't quit on the play and would chase down the the plays and started making an impact in games. It looks to me like he is a raw prospect and is going to be a project and need a lot of coaching. There's a chance that he will not even make the practice squad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom