Another bad school assignment (1 Viewer)

A Florida teacher who was fired from his school after asking his students to write their own obituaries in advance of an on-campus active shooter drill says he has no regrets about the assignment that cost him his job.

“It wasn’t to scare them or make them feel like they were going to die, but just to help them understand what’s important in their lives and how they want to move forward with their lives and how they want to pursue things in their journey,” the dismissed psychology teacher, Jeffrey Keene, told NBC News.

Keene’s dismissal once again has cast a spotlight on the persistently bizarre decisions within the public education system of Florida, which has banned discussions of gender and sexual identity in classrooms but whose Republican extremist governor, Ron DeSantis, staunchly supports keeping the guns which help fuel school shootings across the country as accessible as possible.
According to NBC, Keene learned that his 11th- and 12th-grade students at Dr Phillips high school in the Orlando area would be rehearsing how to respond to a shooting attack at their campus during their first period on 4 April.

That prompted him to ask his students to write their own biographical obituaries as classwork, reasoning that the assignment would cause them to reflect on their lives as they prepared to undergo the active shooter drill.

“This isn’t a way to upset you or anything like that,” Keene recalled telling his class of 35 students. He added: “If you can’t talk real to them, then what’s happening in this environment?”……..

Keene hopes to find another job in teaching and believes his assignment was appropriate, according to NBC.

“I don’t think I did anything incorrectly,” Keene told the network. “I honestly didn’t think a 16-, 17-, 18-year-old would be offended or upset by talking about something we’re already talking about.”…….

A Florida teacher who was fired from his school after asking his students to write their own obituaries in advance of an on-campus active shooter drill says he has no regrets about the assignment that cost him his job.

“It wasn’t to scare them or make them feel like they were going to die, but just to help them understand what’s important in their lives and how they want to move forward with their lives and how they want to pursue things in their journey,” the dismissed psychology teacher, Jeffrey Keene, told NBC News.

Keene’s dismissal once again has cast a spotlight on the persistently bizarre decisions within the public education system of Florida, which has banned discussions of gender and sexual identity in classrooms but whose Republican extremist governor, Ron DeSantis, staunchly supports keeping the guns which help fuel school shootings across the country as accessible as possible.
According to NBC, Keene learned that his 11th- and 12th-grade students at Dr Phillips high school in the Orlando area would be rehearsing how to respond to a shooting attack at their campus during their first period on 4 April.

That prompted him to ask his students to write their own biographical obituaries as classwork, reasoning that the assignment would cause them to reflect on their lives as they prepared to undergo the active shooter drill.

“This isn’t a way to upset you or anything like that,” Keene recalled telling his class of 35 students. He added: “If you can’t talk real to them, then what’s happening in this environment?”……..

Keene hopes to find another job in teaching and believes his assignment was appropriate, according to NBC.

“I don’t think I did anything incorrectly,” Keene told the network. “I honestly didn’t think a 16-, 17-, 18-year-old would be offended or upset by talking about something we’re already talking about.”…….

This feels more like ‘a modest proposal’ than a bad assignment

I think if he left out the school shooting part, then I don't think it'd been a big deal. you can reflect back on your life and write your own obituary without bringing up it happening because of a school shooting.

I think if he left out the school shooting part, then I don't think it'd been a big deal. you can reflect back on your life and write your own obituary without bringing up it happening because of a school shooting.
But then, it wouldn't be A Modest Proposal.

isn't that just a fancy word for bad assignment?
I don't think writing an essay about the poor selling their children as food to the rich would blow over too well either.. lol

Schools lost their way decades ago. While they bicker and argue over social rights and wrongs the kids are not being taught the things that will serve them in life. How many kids graduate high school and know how interest rates work? What a credit score means? The steps required to buy a house?

Bad assignment for sure. With that said, in today's climate, schools should have tight security standards that are strictly adhered too and should have trained armed security personnell. As far as what is taught. They should be learning fundamental educational courses. They should not be taught all this gender, CRT or any of that "woke" stuff. If a parent wants to address any of that, then fine. But not something our K-12 schools have any business pushing,

Schools lost their way decades ago. While they bicker and argue over social rights and wrongs the kids are not being taught the things that will serve them in life. How many kids graduate high school and know how interest rates work? What a credit score means? The steps required to buy a house?
Nobody in school is bickering over any of that.

We DO bicker over how the changes made to "standards" and curriculum do not prepare them for the future. Give us a common sense progression of reading, writing, arithmetic, the sciences and the arts, that is engaging and challenging... Something to put the joy back in the classroom instead of endless testing and stress over random nonsense and attacks... But no. Instead, we have to dodge bullets.

They should not be taught all this gender, CRT or any of that "woke" stuff. If a parent wants to address any of that, then fine. But not something our K-12 schools have any business pushing,
Nobody is teaching kids any of that, especially in Louisiana. You are being lied to, being used to fight against your own neighborhood schools.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom