Another mass shooting in Jacksonville, FL (3 Viewers)

I haven't kept up with the story, but did the Tournament have any kind of security or police presence?

Any large gathering should have something.

In my opinion, social media and online communication has definitely had an affect (effect?) on how people manage their relationships with others. Kids, young people, even adults are learning that they can behave differently online than they have to in face to face interactions. There is more aggression online - social media, discussion websites (Yes, SR included) even in online gaming. Anywhere online where people interact, there is a likelihood that there is a lack of civility as compared to "real life". People are jerks online because it is easy. Internet courage. People are forgetting how to handle negative interactions because of the "norm" of how it is handled online. Let's use kids as an example - pick any type of online communication . . . First, kids see how others are reacting to aggressive behavior, then they start doing it because everyone else is doing it, then it turns into instigating the aggression themselves. And there are no real consequences, are there? That behavior bleeds over into "real life". So someone beats a kid at an xbox game online, the kid goes into a temper tantrum cursing and yelling. If the kid, or even young person, hasn't learned how to handle this kind of thing, how much a stretch is it to have a real life temper tantrum and shoot people when losing at this type of event? I think people are learning social behavior only from their online/social media interactions and that causes these types of violent events.

I’m sure it would have been much worse if the shooter had been wielding a knife.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom