Are you worried about the AK contract situation? (1 Viewer)

Here are the current RBs on the Saints roster:

1719069652485.png

Here are the available FA RBs from Spotrac...

1719069708402.png

Any decisions made on Kamara's contract have to be done, factoring in both of the above.

So, regarding any talk about trading him...

Kendre Miller would likely be next up on the current roster, but can you trust he can stay healthy? Jamaal Williams is 29, and has he lost a step? He and Kamara didn't have a lot of OL help last season, but he sure didn't look like the same guy that he was in Detroit. James Robinson is fascinating as he was dazzling his rookie season with Jacksonville, didn't have as great a 2nd season as he shared snaps more, and tore his Achilles in week 16 of that season, which was 2021. He's only played in 12 games since, but Robinson is only 25, and if he can regain form, he could be a real factor in both the running and passing game. Mims and Kibodi are unproven, so we can't really factor in the unknown.

The question is: Are the Saints content with that group without Kamara? I doubt it.

Looking at what is available in FA. Damien Harris retired. Cam Akers has had injury problems as he has torn his Achilles twice, the second tear occurred this past season. Kareem Hunt is intriguing, but he is the same age as Kamara and only averaged 3.0 yards per carry last season with the Browns. Marlon Mack is coming of an Achilles injury he suffered in training camp last year. I like Eno Benjamin, but he is also coming off a ruptured Achilles, and I don't know where he is with that rehab. You would think that, like Mack, after ten months since their injuries, they should be close, but still, those were not minor injuries. Lynn Bowden is more of a receiver. Josh Kelley hasn't distinguished himself, but might be worth a flyer, Breida looked like his wheels fell off last season, and both Latavious Murray and Jerick McKinnon are well over 30.

The questions with that group are: are any of them worth considering as either an adequate replacement for Kamara or fortification behind Kamara's backups?

Kamara is under contract, and the Saints don't really have to do anything. Not doing anything would basically mean this would be Kamara's last season with the Saints. I would want to accommodate him with a restructure, which is the most likely resolution, however, considering Kamara's age, I don't think it will be an easy negotiation, but in the end I think it will get done. So, not not too worried.
AK is under contract for 2024, 2025 is when we might look for free agent replacement---several good ones available in 2025

Attachments

• 2025 UFA RBs.png
    2025 UFA RBs.png
    77.7 KB · Views: 11
AK is under contract for 2024, 2025 is when we might look for free agent replacement---several good ones available in 2025
We don't know how many on that list will make it to FA, but that is a factor that I did not consider and a good point.

IMO his lack of production is due to piss poor offensive design, play calling, and O line play. Most passes he received were dump offs 3 yards in the back field with a defender already on him. Get him the ball with some room and he can still produce, IMO. To be fair....Brees was just masterful at getting the ball to the playmakers with room to run. None of our QB's since then can do that at all.

In other words. 2 year extension and let him do what he is good at.

IMO his lack of production is due to piss poor offensive design, play calling, and O line play. Most passes he received were dump offs 3 yards in the back field with a defender already on him. Get him the ball with some room and he can still produce, IMO. To be fair....Brees was just masterful at getting the ball to the playmakers with room to run. None of our QB's since then can do that at all.

In other words. 2 year extension and let him do what he is good at.

Exactly. This thread is going to be fun to revisit during the season.

Good points from everyone.

I also think the Saints may have already decided that they're moving on from Kamara after this season, barring a change in his cap number. There was no way he was ever going to get the money in his contract for the 2025 season, just wasn't going to happen. I think they would love to have him back after this season, at a significantly lower number. I hope it all works out, we need AK to be there this year.

Last edited:

Good running backs can be had cheap in the draft. Spend another round 2-5 pick on a running back next year. 2nd/3rd contracts for running backs just aren’t a good investment. That Jammal Williams signing looks bad.

Miller isn’t close to the back that Kamara WAS. But he doesn’t have to be. He just has to be close to what Kamara will be over the next few seasons. That seems possible because Kamara doesn’t have a positive trend.

Thing is, that's not a true Alvin Kamara replacement. What tweaked people about NWsaints statement was that you could put Miller in a Kamara jersey and people wouldn't know the difference.

What AK brought to the table as a dynamic route runner and receiver while also being a good running back is what Miller has shown zero ability to replace.

In 2025 his base salary is $22,400,000 and it is not guaranteed. Guarantee him $12,000,000 in 2025 and the rest in 2026 (not guaranteed). If he balls out Mickey can give him a new contract.

In 2025 his base salary is $22,400,000 and it is not guaranteed. Guarantee him $12,000,000 in 2025 and the rest in 2026 (not guaranteed). If he balls out Mickey can give him a new contract.
No way on an aging RB.

Thing is, that's not a true Alvin Kamara replacement. What tweaked people about NWsaints statement was that you could put Miller in a Kamara jersey and people wouldn't know the difference.

What AK brought to the table as a dynamic route runner and receiver while also being a good running back is what Miller has shown zero ability to replace.
Agreed. I didn’t see anything from Miller last year that says he’s a dynamic playmaker. He looked solid. Kamara when he’s on looks like the best player on the field.

My worry is the front office panics and gives him an extension - he is fast approaching 30 and best days are behind him.

Why can't we use Kamara on more routes like this and other routes that are more than little dump offs? Do y'all think we will see more this season?

Why can't we use Kamara on more routes like this and other routes that are more than little dump offs? Do y'all think we will see more this season?

He's a player that has smarts and ability that can be used beyond just the RB position. He can still be used effectively all over the field on Offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom