At the Copa, Copa America ('24) (1 Viewer)

Quarasquilla deserves a 10 match ban. That was pure intent.

Aside from that, we have to sort that back line out asap.

Weah put his team in a horrible spot in a very important game and it's just so unfortunate that a player of his caliber and pedigree would fall for the taunting to illicit the reply that gets him tossed.

He has to live with that decision just as Dest had to previously.

I'm still trying to process why no Musah. Was that addressed post game? (I tuned out in the 93rd min )

I had to fast forward for most of the game, but the Weah red card cost the game.. The next time the U.S. play Panama will be Nasty for sure. I hope they beat the holy hell out of them!

Maybe Uruguay win tonight and rest players against us?

Maybe Bolivia give Panama a game?

Really tough spot we’re in now.

Does Weah secretly want GGG gone? 🤔😜

I don’t understand taking Balogun off when he did as he was still pressing and still creating opportunities to score.

I understand Cardoso coming on as a defensive mid, but I think Musah could have done the same job and still had some attack to offer.

Maybe Uruguay win tonight and rest players against us?

Maybe Bolivia give Panama a game?

Really tough spot we’re in now.

Does Weah secretly want GGG gone? 🤔😜

I don’t understand taking Balogun off when he did as he was still pressing and still creating opportunities to score.

I understand Cardoso coming on as a defensive mid, but I think Musah could have done the same job and still had some attack to offer.

Musah is much stronger on ball than Cardoso. When u need power to hold ball for possession, it made no sense.

I understood going to back 5 as it shored up the lanes Panama we're able to find in the first. The issue comes in the form of communication and knowing who is where and when. That chaotic run of play that led to 2nd goal was all about losing one's place. We were totally discombobulated.

I don't know that we have the will to beat an even 2nd team Uruguay. This teams focus seems very "on edge" - by that I mean the focus is very easily distracted, be it calls (non) or physical play. We don't seem to be able to play with a sort of anger that elevates our game. It almost always detracts from it. Dumb balls, dumb fouls and missed opportunities.

Don't know how this ends Monday, but I have to think if we lose, US Soccer has little choice. They have to make a change and change the culture of this team.

I was all for Klinsmann because I knew he would bring that culture to US soccer. Unfortunately I don't think US Soccer was ready. So if we want to honestly compete on world stage, it has to change. Has to. Or we will wallow in mediocrity until change happens.

I'm so disheartened by this game, result and looking ahead. Ugh.

Uruguay is dismantling Bolivia.

If Panama doesn't beat Bolivia, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

This ain't looking good for US chances to advance.

Im disgusted by the whole thing. The whole past year and a half really. We've gotten absolutely nowhere, gone backwards if anything. And somehow we are probably bowing out in the group stage of Copa, on home soil and so far we've played Bolivia and Panama. Its not like we've played Uruguay and Argentina.

Uruguay is probably through on GD with a loss. They are through with a draw. My guess is theyll go 45 on their front foot and try to get a lead so they can rest key guys in the 2nd half and play to either hold a lead or see the draw through.

I believe we have to beat Uruguay by at least the same number of goals that Panama beats Bolivia. Bolivia is out. Theyve been obliterated by Uruguay and we shouldve beat them 4-0. I have no idea what they are playing for. Its just a truly unlikely scenario that we get out the group.

I think if we go out in the group Berhater and Crocker both have to go. This is a mega failure in the tournament, and by Crocker and his BS coaching search. I dont trust USSF to do anything right, but they are going to have to somehow sell sponsors on bringing in someone with some kind of pedigree who can turn this around in 2 years without the benefit of any legitimate competition.

All of this, and our guys had collectively the best season a USMNT player pool has had in top 5 leagues. Theres just no metric that says we should be taking steps backwards at this point.

Last edited:
I had a pretty good day today - pretty good week to be honest. Came home this evening, and everything just turned disgusting.

I'm physically nauseated by everything that happened since about 6:15 EDT

Musah is much stronger on ball than Cardoso. When u need power to hold ball for possession, it made no sense.

I understood going to back 5 as it shored up the lanes Panama we're able to find in the first. The issue comes in the form of communication and knowing who is where and when. That chaotic run of play that led to 2nd goal was all about losing one's place. We were totally discombobulated.

I don't know that we have the will to beat an even 2nd team Uruguay. This teams focus seems very "on edge" - by that I mean the focus is very easily distracted, be it calls (non) or physical play. We don't seem to be able to play with a sort of anger that elevates our game. It almost always detracts from it. Dumb balls, dumb fouls and missed opportunities.

Don't know how this ends Monday, but I have to think if we lose, US Soccer has little choice. They have to make a change and change the culture of this team.

I was all for Klinsmann because I knew he would bring that culture to US soccer. Unfortunately I don't think US Soccer was ready. So if we want to honestly compete on world stage, it has to change. Has to. Or we will wallow in mediocrity until change happens.

I'm so disheartened by this game, result and looking ahead. Ugh.
If you watch CCV on the second goal, he checks over his shoulder right as the ball was about to be crossed in. That split second gave the Panama attacker enough of a gap to get the shot off. And Horvath didn’t have enough power to parry it away.

Theres just no metric that says we should be taking steps backwards at this point.

there is one.

Coaching.

there is no way anyone will convince me at this point that having top flight talent, from top flight clubs, that START- not come off bench- START for their respective clubs, arrive here and after 8 practice sessions, look like this is the first big game they play in.

CCV STARTS for Celtic
Ream STARTS for Fulham
Richards STARTS for Crystal Palace

This is the core of our back 5. And yet they play as if they havent a clue ( at crucial times ) to what is happening. One explanation- That is a player thinking. So why is he having to think in the middle of a game? WHY, as @Beast alluded to, is he looking over his shoulder in the 6yd box??? He should be playing on instinct because he has seen all of this before. But if there is the slightest indecisiveness, indecision or lack of understanding, they will think. COACHING. It just keeps coming back to coaching.

We FINALLY get a true set-piece coordinator and VIOLA - set pieces are now a weapon. Why did it take 2 years to figure this out?!?!?!

Berhalter seems to leave some players to their "own devices" - which, if its not aligned with the other players and/or strategy/tactic, or what they are used to doing/seeing, its simply not gonna work. And that is culture. We lack it along with a certain amount of identity. If you lack a culture and identity in any sport, you are destined to be average. Even below average.

We need a change in the worst way. We need someone with gravitas AND RESPECT. Someone who will come in and lay down markers and put his players in positions that will lead to TEAM success over INDIVIDUAL success. One with a clear tactical plan with players that FIT that plan ( or coach up the existing players to get them to fit that plan )

Post Euro- im looking at Roberto Martinez. Joachim Low. Shoot does Jurgen Klopp want a new challenge? Xavi?

im still so very unsettled after last night. It wasnt supposed to be this way, at this point in the overall USMNT. I cant rationalize watching National Teams comprised of players that come from countries whose ENTIRE POPULATION is no more than the STATE OF MARYLAND. Then to watch the pure joy they, and their supporters get from success.....i so wish the US could find that.

Its out there, we just need the right people in the right places. Berhalter aint it. Crocker aint it.

I had a pretty good day today - pretty good week to be honest. Came home this evening, and everything just turned disgusting.

I'm physically nauseated by everything that happened since about 6:15 EDT
I feel even worse about the game/team this morning
Match against Uruguay seems insurmountable and it shouldn’t
But greggg v bielsa is 🙀
And the expected heat will probably dampen attacking style needed (even if greggg would adopt an attacking style)

But moreso the greggg experiment is obviously kaput - we abandoned possession style attack to one of absorbing pressure and playing out of the back - but now our backs are clearly the weakest link - we should have spent this finding Ream’s replacement but he remains our best player back there and his distribution is suspect- I’d high hopes both for Richards and CCV
But they ain’t it
Our strength is clearly from our mids forward and we need a coach who will emphasize that and not disappear our 2nd/3rd best player (recency bias has me putting Balo and CP over Gio)

there is one.

Coaching.

there is no way anyone will convince me at this point that having top flight talent, from top flight clubs, that START- not come off bench- START for their respective clubs, arrive here and after 8 practice sessions, look like this is the first big game they play in.

CCV STARTS for Celtic
Ream STARTS for Fulham

This is the core of our back 5. And yet they play as if they havent a clue ( at crucial times ) to what is happening. One explanation- That is a player thinking. So why is he having to think in the middle of a game? WHY, as @Beast alluded to, is he looking over his shoulder in the 6yd box??? He should be playing on instinct because he has seen all of this before. But if there is the slightest indecisiveness, indecision or lack of understanding, they will think. COACHING. It just keeps coming back to coaching.

We FINALLY get a true set-piece coordinator and VIOLA - set pieces are now a weapon. Why did it take 2 years to figure this out?!?!?!

Berhalter seems to leave some players to their "own devices" - which, if its not aligned with the other players and/or strategy/tactic, or what they are used to doing/seeing, its simply not gonna work. And that is culture. We lack it along with a certain amount of identity. If you lack a culture and identity in any sport, you are destined to be average. Even below average.

We need a change in the worst way. We need someone with gravitas AND RESPECT. Someone who will come in and lay down markers and put his players in positions that will lead to TEAM success over INDIVIDUAL success. One with a clear tactical plan with players that FIT that plan ( or coach up the existing players to get them to fit that plan )

Post Euro- im looking at Roberto Martinez. Joachim Low. Shoot does Jurgen Klopp want a new challenge? Xavi?

im still so very unsettled after last night. It wasnt supposed to be this way, at this point in the overall USMNT. I cant rationalize watching National Teams comprised of players that come from countries whose ENTIRE POPULATION is no more than the STATE OF MARYLAND. Then to watch the pure joy they, and their supporters get from success.....i so wish the US could find that.

Its out there, we just need the right people in the right places. Berhalter aint it. Crocker aint it.
Ha! You too huh?
(Haven’t even read yet, just reacting to wall of text)

there is one.

Coaching.

CCV STARTS for Celtic
Ream STARTS for Fulham

It’s out there, we just need the right people in the right places. Berhalter aint it. Crocker aint it.
Co-sign all

I think the major difference with our backs in respect to club side (aside from fitting the system like you allude to) is work rate - they’re asked to do a lot more bc greggg’s style invites attack
It’s like DA’s defense in last 2 seasons- bc offense gave other teams so many chances, those teams had more opportunity to score v a tired defense)

And while I’d take Low is half a heartbeat- the more I see greggg on the sidelines the more I want a fiery coach

I feel even worse about the game/team this morning
Match against Uruguay seems insurmountable and it shouldn’t
But greggg v bielsa is 🙀
And the expected heat will probably dampen attacking style needed (even if greggg would adopt an attacking style)

But moreso the greggg experiment is obviously kaput - we abandoned possession style attack to one of absorbing pressure and playing out of the back - but now our backs are clearly the weakest link - we should have spent this finding Ream’s replacement but he remains our best player back there and his distribution is suspect- I’d high hopes both for Richards and CCV
But they ain’t it
Our strength is clearly from our mids forward and we need a coach who will emphasize that and not disappear our 2nd/3rd best player (recency bias has me putting Balo and CP over Gio)

I disagree on the CCV/Richards/Ream to an extent that THEY SHOULD be performing MUCH better than they are and their lack of play is directly related to coaching.

I agree that, as it is now, the USMNT strength is mids/fwd. No doubt. How we have gone from a back 4/5 players of relative strength, to what we are witnessing now, in just 2 years time, is baffling.

There are plenty of instances where teams have a CB that are up in age. And Ream, fwiw is 36. Not 40. So there is some tread left. For what he lacks in speed, makes up in positioning and anticipation.

So how are we here? ( you know the answer -we all know the answer. I suspect US Soccer knows the answer, they just dont want to face it and i dont know what will have to happen for change to come because if getting grouped at this Copa, on home soil doesnt move the needle, not sure what will )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom