Baldinger on rookie minicamps: 'You know right away' if player is cut out for NFL (1 Viewer)

Who was the other big guy a few years ago that crushed it in training camp and preseason and I don’t remember him getting a sniff in the regular season?

And my fantasy football team was blessed that year as he was listed as a TE. Lol

Same here. Many fantasy football championships were won that year due to TE Marques Colston.

Still don’t understand why they just didn’t change it. Like, how do you list a player at the wrong position and just keep him there all year? 😂

Same here. Many fantasy football championships were won that year due to TE Marques Colston.

Still don’t understand why they just didn’t change it. Like, how do you list a player at the wrong position and just keep him there all year? 😂
They wised up a decade later when Taysom started playing quarterback, but was also playing other positions.

“There is a scary point for every single general manager and head coach when you see these players in your building and on the field for the first time because in some cases there’s an ‘Oh my, what did we just do?’ kind of feeling,” Baldinger said. “In fact, the veterans know within days of these rookies coming in – just the way that they act. The way that they move. The way that they look on the field in position groups. The way that they either have attention or no attention when you get into meetings. The players know within days if a player has a chance of being a great player or a good player or if he’s even going to make the team.
I've always wondered how soon on average teams get a case of buyer's remorse after the draft and I guess Baldi may have answered that for me. :biglol:

It's wild to think about though, that after all the rigmarole of scouting, analysis, metrics, etc., that so much is known after they join.

Makes me feel a little better about some of my misfires in the hiring process of my day job..

I've always wondered how soon on average teams get a case of buyer's remorse after the draft and I guess Baldi may have answered that for me. :biglol:

It's wild to think about though, that after all the rigmarole of scouting, analysis, metrics, etc., that so much is known after they join.

Makes me feel a little better about some of my misfires in the hiring process of my day job..

This was pretty much the story of Rick Leonard, our fourth round pick in 2018. The team knew right away at the first camp that someone made a HUGE misjudgment. He didn't even make it to the regular season, went to the practice squad for 3 weeks or so, then they finally just gave up on him altogether.

He'd go on to get signed and released within weeks and sometimes even mere days with several other teams 9 times over the next few years, before the league finally stopped giving him chances.

In four years, with 9+ stints with teams, he logged a total tally of 2 games played. He was just absolutely awful.

When we made the pick, many analysts and such were saying they had him graded as undraftable. Needless to say, they were right.

I think the Saints agree with you. This year their first 3 picks are high floor players.

They also came from Power schools, meaning the players they played and practiced against were the highest level possible. Plus these schools all have top facilities. And some probably got an extra covid year in college.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom