Bears request permission to interview Saints Assistant GM Jeff Ireland (1 Viewer)

I don’t know if he is getting the job.

But if I was Ireland, I would be cautious. The bears are already having several interviews for head coaching position. If I will be the new GM, I want to make that decision myself.
It's a timing thing that I think some teams are worried about. I agree that it's better if the GM picks the coach but if you wait too long you might miss out on hot candidates. Harbough and Flores are getting a lot of buzz. So what should a team do?

The fact that they are already looking for a coach (without a GM) is a major red flag. Anyone who doesn't think Ireland is qualified to be a GM has not been paying attention....

I think a fairly easy solution to keep Ireland here is to promote him to GM and make Loomis team president. Ireland and staff is too valuable to let walk, he is the main reason our drafts have been much improved since 2016....

I definitely support the idea of promoting Ireland to GM and bumping up Loomis to something like President or VP of football operations.

The problem with the Bears is that the McCaskey family doesn't have a pile of cash like other franchise owners. I'd wager that, if they were to try and buy a franchise under the current rules, they would be denied.

The team is their main source of income. It isn't just Virginia, Mike, and George with their hands in the piggy bank. Every member of the family gets money.

When it comes time to make that last expenditure to put the team over the top, nothing will happen. They rely on every ticket being sold and every t-shirt being sold. They don't play salary cap games like Loomis because that costs money. They have a hard cap.

In 1997 I became a Saints' fan after a Mike McCaskey radio interview where he complained about how much money the players wanted after the '85 super bowl. He said that they let the players (Wilber Marshall) leave because they aren't going to pay. He continued by saying that it's better to be competitive and make the playoffs because that's profitable and gives everybody hope but winning the super bowl isn't necessarily what they want.

With that, I was out. They'll never be consistently good until that family sells the team. There's talk on the radio that some family members dream of the day that the team is sold but it won't happen as long as Virginia is around and, possibly Mike and George.

Mike and George have a terrible time when they have to speak at press conferences, etc. They're not cut out for it and they end up making things worse.

Here's George's latest debacle. I wouldn't want to work for him.

The problem with the Bears is that the McCaskey family doesn't have a pile of cash like other franchise owners. I'd wager that, if they were to try and buy a franchise under the current rules, they would be denied.
This is a really good point. Gayle Benson is knocking on the top 3rd of NFL owners in net worth.

Although somehow the Jags and Fins' owners are in the top 5, so even if you have a a lot of $$$, you have to spend it wisely I guess.

1642271208019.png

Whereas, according to scottfujita.com (!), the McCaskey family are the 5th poorest. That's gotta have an impact on the GM job.

I don’t know if he is getting the job.

But if I was Ireland, I would be cautious. The bears are already having several interviews for head coaching position. If I will be the new GM, I want to make that decision myself.
He is actually critical of that approach. Ideally, they’ll hire a GM before hiring the HC. But they might pull the trigger on the right HC and Jeff is not keen on that at all.

And here is the issue. Take Brian Flores. If Bears were to hire him, and they actually wanted Jeff, it would never work because he will never work with Flores.

I definitely support the idea of promoting Ireland to GM and bumping up Loomis to something like President or VP of football operations.
It would be ideal but I don’t see it happening. Or rather I should say it is complicated.

Just from listening to his interview on WWL this week, I don't think it's the title that he wants. I think he wants to be THE GUY. And he won't be as long as Mickey is here regardless of the job titles.

This is a really good point. Gayle Benson is knocking on the top 3rd of NFL owners in net worth.

Although somehow the Jags and Fins' owners are in the top 5, so even if you have a a lot of $$$, you have to spend it wisely I guess.

1642271208019.png

Whereas, according to scottfujita.com (!), the McCaskey family are the 5th poorest. That's gotta have an impact on the GM job.
But she's relying on income from the Saints and Pels as well for the most part. Benson came up in the dealership game, right? Also, I think Kroenke is connected to more money than that.

Just from listening to his interview on WWL this week, I don't think it's the title that he wants. I think he wants to be THE GUY. And he won't be as long as Mickey is here regardless of the job titles.
You might be right. My comment is more me thinking out loud. No idea if that's actually feasible. Idk.

You might be right. My comment is more me thinking out loud. No idea if that's actually feasible. Idk.

Yeah I know. It's something a lot of us have thought about. Makes sense to us. But hearing that interview it definitely sounded like it's not a job title or money. He was definitely excited about potentially being top dog. If he ever gets that chance I think he's gone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom