Bears request permission to interview Saints Assistant GM Jeff Ireland (2 Viewers)

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jeff is not getting the Bears job; he won’t even get a second interview.

Hoss said he already had the zoom interview and he was going in for a second interview. Hopefully he’s wrong but he said that about an hour ago.

Clintonrebel

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The more I read about his childhood ties to the Bears, I think he is gone. Of course, the Bears could still screw it up.

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jeff is not getting the Bears job; he won’t even get a second interview.
I don’t know if he is getting the job.

But if I was Ireland, I would be cautious. The bears are already having several interviews for head coaching position. If I will be the new GM, I want to make that decision myself.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t know if he is getting the job.

But if I was Ireland, I would be cautious. The bears are already having several interviews for head coaching position. If I will be the new GM, I want to make that decision myself.
It's a timing thing that I think some teams are worried about. I agree that it's better if the GM picks the coach but if you wait too long you might miss out on hot candidates. Harbough and Flores are getting a lot of buzz. So what should a team do?

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
The fact that they are already looking for a coach (without a GM) is a major red flag. Anyone who doesn't think Ireland is qualified to be a GM has not been paying attention....

I think a fairly easy solution to keep Ireland here is to promote him to GM and make Loomis team president. Ireland and staff is too valuable to let walk, he is the main reason our drafts have been much improved since 2016....

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I definitely support the idea of promoting Ireland to GM and bumping up Loomis to something like President or VP of football operations.

Eeyore

Ded inside
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with the Bears is that the McCaskey family doesn't have a pile of cash like other franchise owners. I'd wager that, if they were to try and buy a franchise under the current rules, they would be denied.

The team is their main source of income. It isn't just Virginia, Mike, and George with their hands in the piggy bank. Every member of the family gets money.

When it comes time to make that last expenditure to put the team over the top, nothing will happen. They rely on every ticket being sold and every t-shirt being sold. They don't play salary cap games like Loomis because that costs money. They have a hard cap.

In 1997 I became a Saints' fan after a Mike McCaskey radio interview where he complained about how much money the players wanted after the '85 super bowl. He said that they let the players (Wilber Marshall) leave because they aren't going to pay. He continued by saying that it's better to be competitive and make the playoffs because that's profitable and gives everybody hope but winning the super bowl isn't necessarily what they want.

With that, I was out. They'll never be consistently good until that family sells the team. There's talk on the radio that some family members dream of the day that the team is sold but it won't happen as long as Virginia is around and, possibly Mike and George.

Mike and George have a terrible time when they have to speak at press conferences, etc. They're not cut out for it and they end up making things worse.

Here's George's latest debacle. I wouldn't want to work for him.

Broad St. Saint

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
The problem with the Bears is that the McCaskey family doesn't have a pile of cash like other franchise owners. I'd wager that, if they were to try and buy a franchise under the current rules, they would be denied.
This is a really good point. Gayle Benson is knocking on the top 3rd of NFL owners in net worth.

Although somehow the Jags and Fins' owners are in the top 5, so even if you have a a lot of $$$, you have to spend it wisely I guess.

1642271208019.png

Whereas, according to scottfujita.com (!), the McCaskey family are the 5th poorest. That's gotta have an impact on the GM job.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom