Being Poor (1 Viewer)

Interesting read
============
One day, I received an email from a stranger about how the poor are responsible for their own poverty.

It wasn’t the first: I get these missives frequently. These commenters like to claim that those who are economically on the edge just need to “pull themselves up by their bootstraps”, and that people who are struggling probably deserve to do so.

Why? Because these Americans took on educational debt, had children – or even got divorced. And so angry readers call other people out when they accrue such debt but also admonish them when they have not had adequate job retraining to be employable, not seeing the paradox.

These audience members may also blame women for not marrying. And families for living in a city where the cost of living is high, ignoring that that’s where many of the jobs are. They also like to critique individuals for actually wanting to do what they love for a living.

Sadly, these blame-mongers aren’t alone: studies have found that many Republicans think successis something one achieves alone through hard work. And if we don’t manage to do so, it’s our own damn fault.

I’m familiar with this stream of invective because I’ve spent much of the last nine years reporting about the falling middle class and working poor and running a poverty non-profit to boot.

But here was something about that specific comment – in which the writer claimed that we were “all products of our choices” and had to live with the consequences – that made me decide I wanted to get to the bottom of this refrain.

How did this narrative and its flip side – the shame and blame of those who are not victors – become writ?

In order to better understand this mindset, I read books and political speeches going back to the 19th century, all with a similar through-line: Americans should thrive and rise on pluck and hard work alone.

From Walden to The Fountainhead, from the political speeches of Herbert Hoover through Trump, I found an ideological script for the vitriol the letter writers expressed. I also discovered a rich vein of hypocrisy – the Horatio Alger story was actually one of teenagers meeting wealthy benefactors and Alger himself had been run out of his ministry for pedophilic acts.

The cringey Ayn Rand novels that shout we must all survive on our own may be worshipped by wealthy technologists, but Rand herself became dependent in later life, relying on social security and Medicare.

The writings of these compromised figures nevertheless are at the foundation of the thinking of those taking outsized pride in their supposedly self-reliant lives: even though they had had a teen mom, they now earned six figures, one wrote; in the words of another, how they managed to save money yet “had a car, a TV and food” while others like them had not.

Taken together, these responses seemed to be a kind of nationwide bullying of the poor.

I then reported around the US to document the lived experience of ordinary people who had suffered because of our culture’s relentless obsession with bootstrapping. These were different sides of the self-made-man storyline.

There were those who were oppressed by the cult of self-reliance, both monetarily and emotionally. There were also those who benefited from it thanks to inherited wealth or other kinds of inborn privilege who had, in contrast, been thought to be all too deserving their whole lives……

When I was in my early 20s, a group of coworkers and I went to lunch in DC, walking back we passed a homeless man asking for change

One of the older reps with total disgust and disdain said something like, 'I could have made every decision in my life differently, and I still would never end up like that guy"

One of the others said, "I think you'd be surprised how few different decisions or outcomes it would have taken to put you right next to him"

That always stuck with me

When I was in my early 20s, a group of coworkers and I went to lunch in DC, walking back we passed a homeless man asking for change

One of the older reps with total disgust and disdain said something like, 'I could have made every decision in my life differently, and I still would never end up like that guy"

One of the others said, "I think you'd be surprised how few different decisions or outcomes it would have taken to put you right next to him"

That always stuck with me
Having taught for 2 decades now, I feel confident saying the best way to attain a stable life is to be born into a family of means
If you were not smart enough to do that, it seems slightly better to be lucky than skilled
Skill and moxie (and stamina) certainly help, but luck matters a bit more
The problem with luck is the ones who benefited from luck never want to allow for the possibility

She was current on rent. Poor in this country is an impossible obstacle without help
Between things like this, public book burning, overt racial profiling in local and federal govt bodies, politicians wielding power over their followers inciting violence against anyone that doesn't agree with them, and systematically dismantling our education system using false info and propaganda, we are seeing the beginnings of another couple of countries that I will leave to your imagination.

Add German, Dutch, Danish, Scandinavian, etc, and so on. In the USA exhaustion due to overwork is still a status symbol.

'Murica...
AA1apESe.img

this can't be real can it?

I used to tell my boss all the time when i put in a request for time off that i wasn't asking permission, that it was more of a courtesy to let him know i wasn't gonna be here that day. He used to hate that.
Now that i am the boss, when people take off, and they try to explain why they are taking it off, i'm like, you have the days, take them off, you don't have to try to justify. You are earn those days, they are yours, so take them however you see fit, just let me know you won't be here.

I used to tell my boss all the time when i put in a request for time off that i wasn't asking permission, that it was more of a courtesy to let him know i wasn't gonna be here that day. He used to hate that.
Now that i am the boss, when people take off, and they try to explain why they are taking it off, i'm like, you have the days, take them off, you don't have to try to justify. You are earn those days, they are yours, so take them however you see fit, just let me know you won't be here.
My company wants staff to arrange coverage prior to taking time off. I tell them they’re not responsible for staffing so don’t worry about it, they’re your days, use them as you will.

Between things like this, public book burning, overt racial profiling in local and federal govt bodies, politicians wielding power over their followers inciting violence against anyone that doesn't agree with them, and systematically dismantling our education system using false info and propaganda, we are seeing the beginnings of another couple of countries that I will leave to your imagination.
Which is exactly why I plan on retiring out of the US. If it wasn’t for my kids I’d be out now.

my coworker and i do a good job of coordinating days off since technically, we're always on call. otherwise, i take off when i need to. my boss is the "have time? don't care why" and it is great.

then there
are these

AA1atdkM.img

AA1atfP2.img

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom