Bottom Line Question...Can the Saints run the table? (1 Viewer)

Last night showed me we just don't have the talent on defense too run the table

I have a tough time pinning last night's loss on the defense. Carolina scored 5 times last night. 4 of those 5 were on possessions that started in the New Orleans half of the field as a result of either a turnover or a blocked field goal.

Our defense stopped Carolina on 1st and goal and held them to a field goal. After a ticky tack roughing the kicker call, they stopped them again with 1st and goal at the 6 and held them to a field goal.

Carolina had 8 possessions that started in their half of the field, and 7 of those 8 led to punts. The only one that didn't was a drive that started on the 49, and went 19 yards for a field goal.

Our defense wasn't stellar last night, but a fumble on the 30 yard line, an interception at the 35, and a blocked field goal are the reason we lost last night.

No but as long as Brees gets to 40 TD, 5000 yards I dont care anymore.

No.

The whole thing is too flawed and at this point it's as much coaching and management and decisions as talent and injuries.

There's no easy fix to that because Payton has a lifetime free pass and a fresh contract so you are banking on him suddenly correcting course on a 5 year trend of too many questionable decisions. Lots items but the obvious fatal flaw this year of Special teams and a raw kicker should have been fixed years ago.

Losing Ken Vaccaro for 4 games down this last stretch isn't going to help our cause at all.

They definitely can run the table.

Most would say that the one game we will probably lose is the Cardinals one. Ok. Makes sense. But they certainly aren't invincible. And the Saints are improving every week. Brees and his receivers, including Fleener, are syncing and our run game is very productive. Teams can't focus on one aspect of our offense. We are a scary team on offense. And our D is not putrid. We are putting pressure on the opposing QB's.

And the Rams? The team who "has our number?" This ain't yesterday's Saints. And the Rams are struggling mightily at QB. We will ram the Rams!

No kidding... The Saints can very realistically run the table the rest of the year.

The rookie qb will look like a probowler when we play them

Running the table is really only part of the equation. The real issue is will Atlanta lose enough games for the saints to catch up in the division? I am not worried about the Panthers. Especially if Kuechley ends up missing a large amount of time.

Losing Ken Vaccaro for 4 games down this last stretch isn't going to help our cause at all.

Yeah, whatever will we do without the roughing penalties from him? Yeah, he's been playing really well, but contributing to idiotic penalties to keep the other team on the field.

Running the table is really only part of the equation. The real issue is will Atlanta lose enough games for the saints to catch up in the division? I am not worried about the Panthers. Especially if Kuechley ends up missing a large amount of time.

We're behind the Bucs now, too.

Yes, they can run the table, but you cannot turn the football over and give opponents a short field to work with. We have done this for two straight games.

Really like your post.

But imho, it's not this year. The STs are simply not NFL caliber. They are a negative. I don't see that changing, unless SPs canned McMahon and that won't happen mid season out of respect to McMahon.

This team is rebuilding and has a ton of 1st and 2nd year starters.

But if Brees can stay healthy, I'm betting on 2017 and 2018.

I think they've shown that they can be competitive with every team in the league, but they just make too many boneheaded mistakes at crucial times.

No. They can't run the table.

No, it won't happen. We've still got tough games coming up...Detroit, Arizona, Atlanta, the Rams which always give us trouble..and two games against an improved Tampa team.

I hate to say it guys..but another disappointing season AND outside the top 10 in draft pick

vs. RAMS W 32-21
vs. LIONS L 27-20
AT BUCS W 31-25
AT CARDS L 34-26
VS BUCS W 24-20
AT FALCONS L 42-31

7-9.....Again.....

If we run the table, atlanta only has to lose one game other than the one against us.

I hate to say it but will our defense be THAT much better next year? We might just see a repeat of this season if not a slight improvement. I know games were close, but our achilles heel has always been defense.

And we're currently 26th. Marginal improvement at best. If we get to 15-20 in the next few years, I think we could be special. That is if Brees stays healthy, and that window is closing steadily, it's just reality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom