Brees when targeting (1 Viewer)

I think it's clear there's a disconnect between Fleener and Brees. Something is wrong, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has nothing to do with Brees.

I think it's clear there's a disconnect between Fleener and Brees. Something is wrong, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it has nothing to do with Brees.

Yeah, the play where they were straight up arguing with one another pre snap and Brees looked to the WR's and basically said we're gonna take the delay of game and shook his head.

Said it all right there.

Week 2
Fleener and Coleman
4/12 for 44 yards, 3.6 ypa, 44 passer rating

Rest of team
27/33, 219 yards, 1 TD, 0int, 104.4 passer rating

Better yet, when Brees targeted the top 3 WR's.
16/22, 178 yards, 1 TD, 0 int, 111.6 QB rating

For the season
Fleener- 3/12, 33 yards, 2.75 yards per attempt, 44.4 passer rating (would be worst in NFL by massive stretch)

Top 3 receivers
37/46, 80.4%, 11.94 ypa, 551 yards, 4 TD, 0 int, 145.6 passer rating (Would be best in NFL by massive stretch)

It's very obvious. Coleman is what we already knew. And Fleener is looking like a huge let down, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise as pretty much everyone laughed at the contract we gave him.

those two have been doing that the whole time they have been here and I don't see it changing

This won't get better by not throwing to him. Have to keep working. And hope that Fleener is putting in the work too.

Maybe he's pressing too hard or something.

Fleener's issues to me seem to be:

1. No chemistry with Brees
2. Hasn't fully grasped the playbook
3. So-so hands
4. Doesn't fight for the ball

Fleener's issues to me seem to be:

1. No chemistry with Brees
2. Hasn't fully grasped the playbook
3. So-so hands
4. Doesn't fight for the ball

Look up Foeener's highlights. I can't find any plays that are impressive, it's all pretty easy catches. No jimmy Graham moments of dominating multiple guys for a jump ball.

- Let's talk about both of them. Coleman indeed had two incompletions, but those were they type of grabs that if he make them, you celebrate him. He was very close both times, and it is a matter of coaching details (a little of the same can be said about Crawley and the almost interception). The penalties also give me hope. They are finding a niche on him and with experience he can turn into a blocking receiver as Meachem was (and he wasn't good blocking since day one). Coleman is and will be a role player, he doesn't need to be more then a 4th receiver and he can contribute to us big time.

- Now, Fleener. Read my posts and you will know I didn't like the signing, and that independently of who the player was. I was against giving such a big contract to someone who plays a position that is not a priority. I would have used the money on getting one or two guards. About him as a player I was pesimistic because his college coach (Pep Hamilton) and quarterback (Andrew Luck) were not able to get the most of him. That is a serious red flag. To me, the biggest problem with Fleener is that he plays with fear, with no confidence. He is physically perfect but he does not polished on technique. I think Payton and Brees have to rebuild him as a player. They should build his confidence in simple easy routes and catches. He has to spend hours catching balls after practice and hopefuly, he can turn into a competent player, though not a star.

Is that counting the 3 bad passes to Coleman yesterday?

Coleman has a fast 40 time but he's tall and doesn't really get separation. Those passes were tough and the coverage was good but 6'4 Colston would make those catches over a 5'10 cb.

- Let's talk about both of them. Coleman indeed had two incompletions, but those were they type of grabs that if he make them, you celebrate him. He was very close both times, and it is a matter of coaching details (a little of the same can be said about Crawley and the almost interception). The penalties also give me hope. They are finding a niche on him and with experience he can turn into a blocking receiver as Meachem was (and he wasn't good blocking since day one). Coleman is and will be a role player, he doesn't need to be more then a 4th receiver and he can contribute to us big time.

- Now, Fleener. Read my posts and you will know I didn't like the signing, and that independently of who the player was. I was against giving such a big contract to someone who plays a position that is not a priority. I would have used the money on getting one or two guards. About him as a player I was pesimistic because his college coach (Pep Hamilton) and quarterback (Andrew Luck) were not able to get the most of him. That is a serious red flag. To me, the biggest problem with Fleener is that he plays with fear, with no confidence. He is physically perfect but he does not polished on technique. I think Payton and Brees have to rebuild him as a player. They should build his confidence in simple easy routes and catches. He has to spend hours catching balls after practice and hopefuly, he can turn into a competent player, though not a star.

Coleman's two drops were simply highlights of his failures. He is a 6'6 receiver with long arms. The first of the two he just falls backwards and instead of using his big hands to grab the ball. The second was Coleman's complete failure to recognize the back shoulder pass. Maybe Brees should have thrown it deep and let Coleman not go up and get the ball but the corner was in his pocket. Either would have been a nice catch but far from spectacular, his body positioning and failure to use his big frame made both much harder than they needed to be.

That's bogus. You don't get points for being close to catching the ball. Crawley is and undrafted rookie getting his first NFL action. Coleman has a year on the PS and a year on the team and he's shown over and over that he doesn't have good ball skills. He will never be a good WR.

That's bogus. You don't get points for being close to catching the ball. Crawley is and undrafted rookie getting his first NFL action. Coleman has a year on the PS and a year on the team and he's shown over and over that he doesn't have good ball skills. He will never be a good WR.

Crawley will develop into a good corner given time, he seems to have a knack for being around the ball. Harris is going to be a stud corner for us in the nickle. These two just need time and unfortunately have been thrown into the fire the first two weeks.

Coleman's two drops were simply highlights of his failures. He is a 6'6 receiver with long arms. The first of the two he just falls backwards and instead of using his big hands to grab the ball. The second was Coleman's complete failure to recognize the back shoulder pass. Maybe Brees should have thrown it deep and let Coleman not go up and get the ball but the corner was in his pocket. Either would have been a nice catch but far from spectacular, his body positioning and failure to use his big frame made both much harder than they needed to be.

Brees did mouth a frustrated "use both hands" after the second attempted circus catch gone awry.

Coleman is just not clutch. I don't understand why they don't just put Tommy Lee Lewis in and bench or cut Coleman. The TE market wasn't anything special last season. We should have kept Watson for far less $ than what we paid Fleener, or have drafted Hunter Henry out of Arkansas. Oh well, hope he (Fleener) improves. Coleman is what he is at this point

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom