Brock Bowers not falling to us at 14 determined by a coin flip (1 Viewer)

Does this make you dislike the Raiders brain trust or the way their idiot owner supposedly conduct’s important team-related business decisions. Like he’s flying by the seat of his pants almost.

I’m not trying to be snarky, obnoxious or a troll, I’m genuinely curious as to why they would manage the odds of deciding to take a 2-time All-American, John Mackey Award-winning TE, an extremely talented player many scouts, observers, commentators are saying might be the best college TE entering the NFL since Jeremy Shockey over 22 years ago.
I really doubted that they actually flipped a coin. I’d bet it was that a term he used to say there was no difference.

I can’t imagine doing an actual coin flip simply knowing the level of criticism that would follow if it got out.

The report didn’t say we were just talking, it said the trade was in place. Fell through when he was selected
No, it didn't. Unless there's a report I'm unaware of.

NFL Network’s Peter Schrager first reported that the Rams were calling teams in hopes of trading up for Bowers, and NewOrleans.Football’s Nick Underhill later confirmed that the Saints were in talks with L.A. about moving down. But when the Raiders surprised everyone by drafting Bowers instead, one pick before the Saints went on the clock, those trade talks were scuttled.

And directly from Underhill:

New Orleans spoke with teams about moving out of the 14th pick, and at one point, it looked like the Saints were going to make a trade with the Rams, but it didn't come to fruition.

The Rams were actively trying to move up throughout the night, including into the top 10, but it never happened. Los Angeles dropped out of the talks with the Saints after Brock Bowers got selected and New Orleans got on the clock.

Engaging in talks and liking an offer is one thing, but making the decision of actually accepting that offer and trading down is completely different.

No, it didn't. Unless there's a report I'm unaware of.

NFL Network’s Peter Schrager first reported that the Rams were calling teams in hopes of trading up for Bowers, and NewOrleans.Football’s Nick Underhill later confirmed that the Saints were in talks with L.A. about moving down. But when the Raiders surprised everyone by drafting Bowers instead, one pick before the Saints went on the clock, those trade talks were scuttled.

And directly from Underhill:

New Orleans spoke with teams about moving out of the 14th pick, and at one point, it looked like the Saints were going to make a trade with the Rams, but it didn't come to fruition.

The Rams were actively trying to move up throughout the night, including into the top 10, but it never happened. Los Angeles dropped out of the talks with the Saints after Brock Bowers got selected and New Orleans got on the clock.

Engaging in talks and liking an offer is one thing, but making the decision of actually accepting that offer and trading down is completely different.

Bro, seriously?

If they were engaged with talks w/ the Rams and the Rams made it known they wanted Bowers, and the team was "listening" then it means they were ok w/ passing on Bowers and Fuaga. The talks only stopped AFTER Bowers was selected. Cmon man you really going to do this lol?

Bro, seriously?

If they were engaged with talks w/ the Rams and the Rams made it known they wanted Bowers, and the team was "listening" then it means they were ok w/ passing on Bowers and Fuaga. The talks only stopped AFTER Bowers was selected. Cmon man you really going to do this lol?

You said the trade was in place. It wasn't. The Rams had been on the phone with every other team before us trying to get up and they all said no.

Just because we were the first team to actually consider their offer doesn't mean it was a done deal. The TERMS of the trade may have been in place in terms of value, but there's still the internal discussion of "are we comfortable passing on our guy here and are we comfortable with who will be there later?"

Who knows. Maybe they were comfortable with the bubble of players who would have been there at 19 and they say file the papers. Or maybe they'd have passed on the nice offer to take a guy they love.

But the report does not mean this was 100% going to happen.

There's also this quote from @60minutes who is dialed into the Saints war room, which lines up with the report that the Raiders were 50/50 on the CB and Bowers.

The Saints were going to take Brock if the Raiders hadn't surprised and taken him. I'm shocked by that pick. I heard OT or CB if a QB wasn't there for them. But they decided to go BPA.

Last edited:
indian-movie-funny-shoot-coin-72i14bequruiz8s4.gif

We weren’t taking Bowers over Fuaga. Only taking him if Fuaga was gone
On one of the NOF post draft podcasts, Nick & Mike said after Alt, Latham & Olu were drafted, the team had Fuaga & Latu in the same cloud & the choice was between them.

When the Raiders took Bower, they took Fuaga. If LV drafted Fuaga, Nick & Mike said the pick wouldve probably been Latu. According to them, Bower wasnt even in real consideration at 14. As much as i love the Fuaga pick, my dude all draft season was Latu. Freaking Raiders!

You said the trade was in place. It wasn't. The Rams had been on the phone with every other team before us trying to get up and they all said no.

Just because we were the first team to actually consider their offer doesn't mean it was a done deal. The TERMS of the trade may have been in place in terms of value, but there's still the internal discussion of "are we comfortable passing on our guy here and are we comfortable with who will be there later?"

Who knows. Maybe they were comfortable with the bubble of players who would have been there at 19 and they say file the papers. Or maybe they'd have passed on the nice offer to take a guy they love.

There's also this quote from @60minutes who is dialed into the Saints war room, which lines up with the report that the Raiders were 50/50 on the CB and Bowers.
Fair enough

Fair enough

If we think so much is smokescreens before the draft, we should also take all post draft reports on things that didn't happen with a grain of salt. Maybe the Raiders told that to Terrion, don't know, don't care - but to me the Falcons taking Penix is the only reason why the Raiders ended up taking Bowers. They did the right thing when Penix was no longer available.

I also agree that Kooooooobs was taking Fuaga, "no matter what."

We weren’t taking Bowers over Fuaga. Only taking him if Fuaga was gone
We were lined up to trade down with the Rams if Bowers was there at 14. Then we probably would have ended up with Fautanu + a 3rd rounder.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom