[Bumped to discuss resulting legal actions] Elementary school shooting in Connecticut. (Edit/Update - 26 reported killed, many of them children) (1 Viewer)

It's going to be interesting to see how much they end up getting. I do think these awards will be reduced on appeal - they're just not rational compensatory damages in a defamation case (note that punitive damages are still to be determined). But I think the ultimate amounts will be very high, perhaps remaining in the nine digits - especially if punitives are awarded.

The question as to ultimate payment, after they are resolved by appeals (which will take some time) will depend on how the bankruptcy court treats all of this - as tort judgments can be extinguished in bankruptcy. But unless something very favorable happens in bankruptcy, it's likely that these judgments are going to be oppressive on Jones for the rest of his life. His current posture (which is to reject the legitimacy of the judicial system) doesn't bode well for him, it seems like he's either going to have to come to some kind of settlement agreement that has guaranteed funding, or attempt to run his brand and business in a way that avoids collection but that isn't easy and the risk of additional harm (even criminal prosecution) is substantially increased.

I suppose his only other options would be to shut the whole thing down and lay low for a while, get the bankruptcy through and start over - but that doesn't seem like Alex Jones. Or I suppose he could try to relocate the enterprise to some favorable foreign jurisdiction.

None of these are attractive options if im Alex Jones, and thank goodness im not .

Im just glad that , at the very least, all this is seemingly going to make his life very difficult for a long time .. just a fraction of what the victims’ families have had to endure .

None of these are attractive options if im Alex Jones, and thank goodness im not .

Im just glad that , at the very least, all this is seemingly going to make his life very difficult for a long time .. just a fraction of what the victims’ families have had to endure .

I think there's a scenario that's not horrible for him and I think that he thinks this is what will happen: (1) appeal to the end, get a substantial reduction, (2) get a discharge in bankruptcy, (3) start again.

I just think it's much easier said than done.

Truly heartbreaking stuff
===================
…..While Mr Jones profited financially from spreading his lies, the victims’ families were subjected to years of in-person and online harassment and threats from people spurred on by the conspiracy theorist’s rants.

In heartbreaking courtroom testimony, Erica Lafferty, the daughter of Sandy Hook principal Dawn Hochsprung who was killed in the massacre, told the court that she had been forced to move five times to try to get away from the threats and harassment.

“For 27 years of my life, that woman was my best friend,” Ms Lafferty said of her mother.

“For people to tell me she didn’t exist, how do you just let that happen?”

Mark Barden, father of murdered six-year-old Daniel, revealed how his daughter discovered letters sent to the family saying that they had urinated on her little brother’s grave and wanted to dig up his body.

Some of the most harrowing testimony came from Robbie Parker, who revealed how the far-right conspiracy theorist left him feeling like he “failed” his six-year-old daughter Emilie who was murdered in the mass shooting.

One day after the massacre, the devastated father gave a brief speech to the media where he paid tribute to his little girl who “made the world a better place” for being in it.

Unbeknownst to Mr Parker at the time, it was the first time any of the victims’ family members had spoken out publicly following their deaths.

As he walked up to the microphone, he briefly smiled – something that instantly made him a target of the conspiracy theorist’s lies.

Over the following years, Mr Jones repeatedly mocked Mr Parker’s heartbreaking moment of intense grief on his far-right conspiracy show and branded him “a soap opera actor”.

Choking back tears, Mr Parker told jurors how he believed he was “failing” Emilie’s memory as Mr Jones lies continued to spread lies about her.

“I already felt like I failed Emilie as a dad when she was alive because we sent her to school,” Mr Parker testified.

“And I was especially starting to feel like I was failing her in her death because of what people were saying about her and what they were saying about me trying to remember her.”……..

lessons learned = zero
================
Shortly after Alex Jones was hit with a $965 million verdict by a Connecticut jury for spreading lies about the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting in Newtown, the InfoWars host was calling for mass executions in another conspiracy theory.

Jones responded to the verdict with a fist bump as part of his "extended emergency broadcast" as he pushed InfoWars' store and asked for personal donations.

The call for mass executions was based on Jones' debunked conspiracy theory that COVID-19 vaccines have killed tens of millions of people.

"If you're going to bio-attack people, with a virus and then the vaccine that's even worse — it's not a vaccine — you've got to have a story of how you messed up," Jones said.

It's going to be interesting to see how much they end up getting. I do think these awards will be reduced on appeal - they're just not rational compensatory damages in a defamation case (note that punitive damages are still to be determined). But I think the ultimate amounts will be very high, perhaps remaining in the nine digits - especially if punitives are awarded.

The question as to ultimate payment, after they are resolved by appeals (which will take some time) will depend on how the bankruptcy court treats all of this - as tort judgments can be extinguished in bankruptcy. But unless something very favorable happens in bankruptcy, it's likely that these judgments are going to be oppressive on Jones for the rest of his life. His current posture (which is to reject the legitimacy of the judicial system) doesn't bode well for him, it seems like he's either going to have to come to some kind of settlement agreement that has guaranteed funding, or attempt to run his brand and business in a way that avoids collection but that isn't easy and the risk of additional harm (even criminal prosecution) is substantially increased.

I suppose his only other options would be to shut the whole thing down and lay low for a while, get the bankruptcy through and start over - but that doesn't seem like Alex Jones. Or I suppose he could try to relocate the enterprise to some favorable foreign jurisdiction.

yes i dont expect them to see 1/10th of the awards( still waiting on punitive by judge )

But the mere fact that he has to now live under the stresses of "what to do next" is in part, some minimal justice.

And as for laying low, you nailed it...that simply doesnt register for him. Being reduced to a "has been" he wont go for.

yes i dont expect them to see 1/10th of the awards( still waiting on punitive by judge )

But the mere fact that he has to now live under the stresses of "what to do next" is in part, some minimal justice.

And as for laying low, you nailed it...that simply doesnt register for him. Being reduced to a "has been" he wont go for.
He's now being championed by the right as a martyr of sorts.

Very rarely feel this way but Alex Jones deserves a painful death…..
He deserves to live, impoverished and alone. Hounded constantly by calls, and threats... disbelieved by those around him, his loved ones turned against him. What little he has left given to man who said he could help fix it... but turned out to be a con artist.

Then at the bottom of that hell, in trying to take his own life, and failing... disfiguring/crippling himself in some way... and get one last big media cycle exposure of his lothesome, pathetic, waste of a life... before he is comitted to a state hospital as a danger to himself and lives out his days as a ward of the state. (And Texas public mental health is the worst in the US, and that is saying a lot as the US is particularly bad among high GDP nations).

I dont like feeling this way about anyone... it makes me feel ill.

*I would say he should be falsely accused of something terrible with no backing, that millions believe and hate him for... but there is really nothing worse to accuse him of than what he has unabashadly actually done.

“The Regime” now includes private plaintiffs’ attorneys in a common law cause of action decided by properly empaneled juries?

I can’t even
Can someone convince Alex Jones that Americana, in Sao Paulo Brasil, is some kind of Utopia? It was founded by a bunch of Confederates who moved there rather than re-intergrate with the US post Civil War.

I mean in Brasil:
-Abortion is illegal
-Land and labor is cheap
-The president is a strong-arm, right-wing populist
-The gender pay gap is substantial
-The top 1% holds 50% of the nations wealth, the top 10% holds 80%... and staggeringly the bottom 50% holds -.4% of the nations wealth because they hold more debt than assets.

Isint that some kind of ideal world for Jones and his ilk?

Somehow get Jones some land in the area that he can sell in some kind of scam... urr... deal for his followers, with all proceeds going to pay his victims what they are due. The catch being that he has to move there and give up his US citizenship.

Can someone convince Alex Jones that Americana, in Sao Paulo Brasil, is some kind of Utopia? It was founded by a bunch of Confederates who moved there rather than re-intergrate with the US post Civil War.

I mean in Brasil:
-Abortion is illegal
-Land and labor is cheap
-The president is a strong-arm, right-wing populist
-The gender pay gap is substantial
-The top 1% holds 50% of the nations wealth, the top 10% holds 80%... and staggeringly the bottom 50% holds -.4% of the nations wealth because they hold more debt than assets.

Isint that some kind of ideal world for Jones and his ilk?

Somehow get Jones some land in the area that he can sell in some kind of scam... urr... deal for his followers, with all proceeds going to pay his victims what they are due. The catch being that he has to move there and give up his US citizenship.
It really wouldn't surprise me that Alex Jones doesn't believe a word of what he is saying, he just knows that there is a segment that want to hear it and he makes a ton of money off of them. This makes it even worst.

It really wouldn't surprise me that Alex Jones doesn't believe a word of what he is saying, he just knows that there is a segment that want to hear it and he makes a ton of money off of them. This makes it even worst.
I'm pretty sure he has admitted that already, out of his own mouth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom