Cam Newton: Kirk Cousins Has Six Games to Prove Himself Before Penix Gets a Shot (2 Viewers)

They can spin this anyway they like, you don't pay that much money for a bridge QB.
It's a two-year deal for a guy coming off a significant injury at 36 years old. I don't think Kirk is on a short leash and I don't think he'll struggle, so it's all speculation. Kirk has been pretty consistent during the regular season.

Sounds ridiculous tbh. So the Falcons paid 100M guaranteed to put Cousins on a short leash for 6 games. Even if you draft Penix, Cousins is starting the entire first season for 100M unless he’s injured. He’s 42-30 in the last 5 years.

Thats kind of putting pressure on Cousins to fail. Or media trying to speak his benching into existence because they prefer to see Penix. Cousins never had consecutive multiple turnover game stretches in the past.

Cam Newton - NFL Pro/College Scouting and Evaluation Expert

Sounds ridiculous tbh. So the Falcons paid 100M guaranteed to put Cousins on a short leash for 6 games. Even if you draft Penix, Cousins is starting the entire first season for 100M unless he’s injured. He’s 42-30 in the last 5 years.

Thats kind of putting pressure on Cousins to fail. Or media trying to speak his benching into existence because they prefer to see Penix. Cousins never had consecutive multiple turnover game stretches in the past.
You never know. There's always a first time for something. Coming off an injury like that, there's always a chance to show some slippage. I am not saying he will be benched, but I've followed this league long enough to know how things go when these situations occur.

You never know. There's always a first time for something. Coming off an injury like that, there's always a chance to show some slippage. I am not saying he will be benched, but I've followed this league long enough to know how things go when these situations occur.
It’s possible if the Falcons start 0-6 or 1-5 and their offense is constantly turning the ball over and not scoring much. Cousins would need to have the worst statistical start to a season of his career. The Vikings began 2-4 last year because of their defense while their offense averaged 26+ and Cousins had about 13 TD/4 INT during the first 6 games. He would really have to sheet the bed to get benched for Penix that early.

agreed but in today's NFL most top 10 QBs don't sit for a couple years now
Still think this is a mistake in a lot of instances. I understand why they don't, if you work in an NFL front office, you can't afford to take the long term approach, but I don't understand why they can't take a more measured approach toward what's best for the team over the next 10 years vs that immediate season.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
They can spin this anyway they like, you don't pay that much money for a bridge QB.
Unless you have super skilled positions, and attempting to utilize the rookie salaries before they all need to be paid:

Kyle Pitts
Bijan Robinson
Drake London
etc (I dont know the falcons roster)

Atlanta made the right choice; Kirk can produce now as Penix may take time to develop. Its a win/win assuming Penix doesn't bust.

It’s possible if the Falcons start 0-6 or 1-5 and their offense is constantly turning the ball over and not scoring much. Cousins would need to have the worst statistical start to a season of his career. The Vikings began 2-4 last year because of their defense while their offense averaged 26+ and Cousins had about 13 TD/4 INT during the first 6 games. He would really have to sheet the bed to get benched for Penix that early.
Like I previously said, you never know. They don't have Minnesota's personnel as much as folks think they do. And no, I'm not rooting for him to be benched. I'm just calling it like I see it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom