Cam Newton: Kirk Cousins Has Six Games to Prove Himself Before Penix Gets a Shot (1 Viewer)

It would be ideal for us if Cousins gets off to a slow start with a mediocre team and the pressure mounts for the rookie to play. Nothing like a good QB controversy after a few losses for morale.

I can 100% guarantee you barring he's still hurt or has a setback, Penix won't see the field this year to replace him as long as Cousins plays decent.

And if he is not hurt it will be longer, much longer, than 6 games.
I tend to agree with you. I think the Falcons are trying to emulate the GB Farve/Rogers/Love and the KC Smith/Mahomes strategy. IOW, I think that Cousins plays until Penix shows enough QB maturity to start. In this situation, they have a good QB to keep the team moving forward until Penix is ready.

At least, I think that is the Falcon strategy here and is the only thing that makes sense. But, then again, the Falcons aren't known for making sense so maybe this all blows up. :shrug:

Besides, Cam is obviously my grandma ...

Attachments

• cam grandma.jpg
    cam grandma.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I can 100% guarantee you barring he's still hurt or has a setback, Penix won't see the field this year to replace him as long as Cousins plays decent.

And if he is not hurt it will be longer, much longer, than 6 games.
Thing is, if you pay a guy 50 million to play QB for you, you play him all year, every week. Benching him would be a massive failure and should get the GM fired.
Paying that much money to Cousins means: they believe they can win the super bowl with him. So Penix will not see a single starting snap during the season, unless Cousins gets hurt, or they are blowing teams out. The team should expect nothing less than a divisional round appearance with Cosuins as a starter, barring unforeseen circumstances.
And yet, they have decided to mess with his head from the beginning by drafting an early round QB that is not supposed to ride the bench for long. I don't think the Falcons are in a similar situation than GB when they drafted Rodgers, because Rodgers fell in the draft, they "overdrafted" Penix.
It doesn't compare with the Mahomes/ Smith situation either, because Smith was an old, above average starter in the league and was being payed like one.
Its a big mess when you think about it.

Last edited:
I
And yet, they have decided to mess with his head from the beginning by drafting an early round QB that is not supposed to ride the bench for long. I don't think the Falcons are in a similar situation than GB when they drafted Rodgers, because Rodgers fell in the draft, they "overdrafted" Penix.
It doesn't compare with the Mahomes/ Smith situation either, because Smith was an old, above average starter in the league and was being payed like one.
Its a big mess when you think about it.
I honestly don't agree. They've drafted for the future, like you should at every position, and are in the relatively rare position of not having to force their highly drafted QB into the firing line too early.

I think the Rogers and Mahomes examples are directly comparable. Mahomes in particular was sat behind an above average starter who was reasonably paid - Cousins is almost the same guy, and his salary sounds bigger, but the average QB salary is getting up around that level already, as someone posted very recently.

If Cousins can't psychologically deal with the competition, given the irony that he originally took over a team from a highly rated and highly drafted QB in Washington, then if l wonder if he is best suited to a competitive sport in the first place.

Last edited:
I actually think the Falcons are being really smart. Cousins will play a couple years till Penix is ready. Penix will get to learn and get some playing time when Cousins is inevitably hurt. Then they will trade him to some needy team; he will probably agree to the trade rather than waste his last years tutoring the new QB.

by week 3 everyone on here will be calling for Rattler lol.
Football fans have historically not been that smart about backup quarterbacks, case-in-point Cody Carlson, Oilers fans screamed their head off for him to take over for Warren Moon… traded Moon after ‘93, Carlson started 5 games in ‘94 then retired.

And why does anyone give a fig what cam newton thinks? We as Saints fans know that he couldn't even dress himself. Why would anyone think he could evaluate other players?

I love how people on this thread are bashing the Falcons for signing Kirk Cousins and drafting a highly talented QB in the top 10 yet are positive on us with a worse QB (similar money), worse cap situation, older team and a fifth round long shot as a backup. Make it make sense.

I love how people on this thread are bashing the Falcons for signing Kirk Cousins and drafting a highly talented QB in the top 10 yet are positive on us with a worse QB (similar money), worse cap situation, older team and a fifth round long shot as a backup. Make it make sense.

When your team is struggling (or in our case, very average), this means you’re no longer allowed to analyze or criticize other teams’ moves, much less unorthodox moves that pretty much all of the media and NFL personnel types are unanimously criticizing every chance they get?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom