Can Cincinnati Be A Dark Horse For Payton? (1 Viewer)

Barring some ridiculous circumstances, Zac Taylor is not getting fired.

Dallas is the front runner in my estimation. It's totally a Jerry Jones thing to do anyway.

I'm not predicting he will be fired. I do think it's somewhat of an interesting idea, as unlikely as it is.

The one thing that helps Dallas also hurts it the most. Media attention.
Payton can’t have a ‘14-‘16 rebuilding run with the Cowboys. You can’t even have a season where a playoff appearance is seen as “going on the right track.” It’s championship or bust. Every. Single. Season.
They sure have been busting then for about 30 years if memory serves lol.

He's 16-34 as the Bengals head coach, and currently off to an 0-2 start, so I don't think the idea he could become replaceable, under certain circumstances, is completely unfounded. That said, the Bengals stuck with Lewis through extended mediocrity.
The Lewis point is the very salient one. CIN's ownership is not known for big splashes or spending tons of money.

Agreed but I truly think we won’t ask for much compensation.

I know others feel this way also but I'm curious what it's based on. Why wouldn't the Saints look to precedent and try and get as much value as possible? Especially if an NFC team emerges as the front runner, but I think it should be true with any team. Why give away the rights to a Super Bowl winning coach for little in return? I don't follow.

I know others feel this way also but I'm curious what it's based on. Why wouldn't the Saints look to precedent and try and get as much value as possible? Especially if an NFC team emerges as the front runner, but I think it should be true with any team. Why give away the rights to a Super Bowl winning coach for little in return? I don't follow.
Just my personal opinion, I have nada to back it up. I feel that Gayle and Mickey will let him go without asking for much as a way to say thanks for what he brought to the team and the city. Just a hunch, same one I had when Sean was about to leave. Had nothing more than my own hunch to go on then, hope I’m wrong now as I wish I’d have been about him leaving.

I’d be ecstatic if we ask for at least a first and a second, recoup what we gave up this past draft. Some of it at least. I also think he’s worth two firsts, but I do not see that happening.

Just my personal opinion, I have nada to back it up. I feel that Gayle and Mickey will let him go without asking for much as a way to say thanks for what he brought to the team and the city. Just a hunch, same one I had when Sean was about to leave. Had nothing more than my own hunch to go on then, hope I’m wrong now as I wish I’d have been about him leaving.

I’d be ecstatic if we ask for at least a first and a second, recoup what we gave up this past draft. Some of it at least. I also think he’s worth two firsts, but I do not see that happening.

Maybe there's a scenario that plays out that way but I really hope not. I would only expect compensation to be low if the market for him is cool, and I don't expect that to be the case.

Please don’t quote me on this because it is entirely possible l either dreamt it or am half crazy, but l am sure l read in the original deal with the Cowboys that did not go through that we were getting a 3rd round pick in exchange
I have looked several times for the article but can’t seem to find it hence the dreamt/half crazy stipulation

Maybe there's a scenario that plays out that way but I really hope not. I would only expect compensation to be low if the market for him is cool, and I don't expect that to be the case.
I very much hope you’re right. Once again I think he’s worth a king’s ransom, just a feeling they will let him go easily as a token of gratitude.

Please don’t quote me on this because it is entirely possible l either dreamt it or am half crazy, but l am sure l read in the original deal with the Cowboys that did not go through that we were getting a 3rd round pick in exchange
I have looked several times for the article but can’t seem to find it hence the dreamt/half crazy stipulation
Yep. I also read (idk the veracity) that Gayle or Mickey have been quoted as saying they won’t ask for too much in return.

I do not remember where I read it, don’t claim it’s legit, and hope it’s flat out wrong.

Maybe. I don't expect a blockbuster deal but I hope they do better than Herm Edwards to the Chiefs, which involved a contract dispute.

yeah but the million dollar question... will Sean want to coach Dallas with jerruh up his arse 24/7?

Yeah, I'm pretty unconvinced on that also. There are the rumors that it almost got done in 2019 after the no-call. Florio says it was a done deal, then fell apart because Anthony Davis made it clear he wanted out of New Orleans and Loomis went back to Payton to tell him he didn't want to be the guy who let them both get away. Enh, okay, but sounds pretty iffy to me. Has anybody with the Saints ever confirmed any of this? If it is true, I think it undercuts the narrative that Benson and Loomis will go out of their way for Payton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom