Poll Children Addressing Adults (1 Viewer)

Children Addressing Adults

• First Name Okay (always, or depends on the child and context)

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Mr. or Miss First Name Okay (Miss Sally or Mr. David)

Votes: 47 74.6%
  • Mr. or Miss Last Name always or there's going to be a problem

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I almost put this in the Nurse & Doc pic thread since it turned more into a discussion on general getting overly offended vibe but thought it deserved it's own

When I was growing up I and my cousins were taught to call our Aunts and Uncles (all on my mother's side) by their first name only, so that is what we did and thought that it was normal and didn' t think anything of it

When (also as a kid) I went to visit my father's side of the family in New Orleans I quickly found out that they don't play that shirt down there

I called my aunt by her first name and she lost her mind

If a ten year called you by your first name would you be offended?

Would you feel angry or disrespected? (Just first name only, being called Miss Sally or Mr. David seems to acceptable)

It wouldn't bother me personally but I know plenty of people who would be upset by it
==========================================================================================================================
NEW YORK (AP) — Put a handle on it.

If you don’t know what that means, you might not call elders by “Mr.,” ″Miss” or “Mrs.,” insist that your children do the same or demand it for yourself. If you’ve heard the term, you’re likely familiar with the history of the politics of respectability and what that means to some African-Americans, pro and con.

Are you from the North or the South? A small town or big city native? From a religious, school or immigrant community that uses elder honorifics? Perhaps you’re Professor, Doctor or Judge.

All of the above were widely debated on social media last week, focused on an old talk-show clip of the late Maya Angelou sharply chiding a young woman for addressing her as Maya rather than Miss Angelou before asking the poet and memoirist for her views on interracial marriage.

I’m not ‘Maya.’ I’m 62 years old. I have lived so long and tried so hard that a young woman like you, or any other, you have no license to come up to me and call me by my first name. That’s first,” she said to claps from the audience. “Also, because at the same time, I am your mother, I am your auntie, I’m your teacher, I’m your professor. You see?”

Last edited:
My wife's family always did first names. I always did Mr or Ms followed by first name, if not last name depending on the situation. My wife was an advocate for her way until we fostered her 11 year old cousin and witnessed him addressing his friend's parents by their first name. She was mortified and that was the end of that.

And to be clear, for me growing up the first name thing was just with Aunts and Uncles

teachers, friends' parents or any other adult was Mr. Ms. or Mrs.

always...Mr / Mrs / Ms. (Last Name), unless if it were an Aunt or Uncle then it would be Aunt/Uncle (First name).

When I grew up (in the South) adults who were familiar to us were "Mister" or "Miss" first name - especially if they were my parents' age or younger. I called my friends' parents "Mister Bob" or "Miss Emily". Older neighbors or people from church or whatever were Mr/Mrs. Last Name. My aunts and uncles were always "Aunt Becky" or "Uncle John". I definitely never called any adult just by their name, unless they were fairly young and asked me to do it (like a swim coach or something).

I pretty much try to do the same with my kids, and my kids are pretty good about it - they're 6 and 4 years old. Our neighbors and friends, they call "Mister Scott" or "Miss Lauren". They always call my sister-in-law "Aunt Kerry". They call my sister "Sue-Sue" instead of Aunt Susan, but that's only because my sister has asked them to call her that from day one.

I think that if a child is calling an adult by his/her first name, it doesnt' just happen. The parents have allowed or encouraged (explicitly or implicitly). I don't think it is respectful and I think it's good for children to respect adults. But what can you do, it's someone else's kids.

Let the adult set the tone. By that I mean Mr. Lastname until given permission to use first name. Aunts and Uncles would be first name generally with or without the word “Aunt or Uncle” first.

its mr. or mrs. or "uncle xx or aunt xx"

This maintains the respect ...which is being lost subtly.

When I grew up (in the South) adults who were familiar to us were "Mister" or "Miss" first name - especially if they were my parents' age or younger. I called my friends' parents "Mister Bob" or "Miss Emily". Older neighbors or people from church or whatever were Mr/Mrs. Last Name. My aunts and uncles were always "Aunt Becky" or "Uncle John". I definitely never called any adult just by their name, unless they were fairly young and asked me to do it (like a swim coach or something).

I pretty much try to do the same with my kids, and my kids are pretty good about it - they're 6 and 4 years old. Our neighbors and friends, they call "Mister Scott" or "Miss Lauren". They always call my sister-in-law "Aunt Kerry". They call my sister "Sue-Sue" instead of Aunt Susan, but that's only because my sister has asked them to call her that from day one.

I think that if a child is calling an adult by his/her first name, it doesnt' just happen. The parents have allowed or encouraged (explicitly or implicitly). I don't think it is respectful and I think it's good for children to respect adults. But what can you do, it's someone else's kids.

basically this.

Let the adult set the tone. By that I mean Mr. Lastname until given permission to use first name. Aunts and Uncles would be first name generally with or without the word “Aunt or Uncle” first.

That's the way I go.

All of my relatives are "Aunt/Uncle/Grandma" "first name".

But, strangers, teachers, parents, someone like Maya Angelou, I'd go with Mr, Miss, Mrs last name.

Now, side questions.

Miss, Ms, Mrs? that's the hard one.

My step kids were calling me Mr Kevin. I put a stop to that. Thought just first name was fine. Growing up in New Jersey, if my dad called for me. I’d say “yeah?” Or “what?” At 11 years old I moved to Louisiana. Teacher called my name... I said “yeah?” The whole classroom of kids stared at me like I lost my mind. I quickly learned the yeas ma’am and yes sir. Now granted both my parents were from Louisiana. But when we were all together. The correct reply was always yeah or what. Having lived in Louisiana for the last 40+ years. My own kids learned to be polite and respond yes ma’am and yes sir etc when addressing others. Which they learned by my example. But amongst ourselves it was never necessary. Anyone starts calling me Mr. just throws me off

My wife's family always did first names. I always did Mr or Ms followed by first name, if not last name depending on the situation. My wife was an advocate for her way until we fostered her 11 year old cousin and witnessed him addressing his friend's parents by their first name. She was mortified and that was the end of that.

How did the parents react to it?

Family or familiar adults addressed by Mr./Miss or Uncle/Aunt "first name," other adults it was Mr./Miss "last name," and that's how I've taught my kids. They also say "yes sir/ma'am," as I was taught (though I've never come down on them like my dad would on us for not saying it).

At 11 years old I moved to Louisiana. Teacher called my name... I said “yeah?” The whole classroom of kids stared at me like I lost my mind. I quickly learned the yeas ma’am and yes sir.

My younger son actually got in trouble for saying "yes ma'am" to a teacher a year or two ago because she thought he was being sarcastic.

The only people my kids address as Mr. or Mrs. are teachers. Everyone else gets the first name treatment.

It's entirely dependent upon the situation. Growing up, I referred to aunts and uncles as "aunt so and so" or "uncle so and so".

Any adult was Mr or Mrs so and so until/unless you knew them well or unless they suggest you call them by their first name. Many of my friend's parents introduced themselves by their first name and that's what we called them unless they specified otherwise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom