Colston - AWESOME game! (1 Viewer)

you beat me to it....lol!

It's a valid question though.....

It is. And it's true that you can't make a comparison like that after 9 games. But that wasn't what he said. On the other hand, there's enough evidence that Colston can completely dominate at this level, that you cannot say what his ceiling is, and therefore you cannot say he isn't on the level of Jerry Rice.

We'll see.

He is not the next anyone, he is the FIRST and ONLY Marcus Colston Enjoy saints fans hes all ours, now quit arguing and go to our rivals boards and compare their current wr's to him... except the panthers steve smith... Colston has to finish out the year on top before he can be deemed just an equal to the past leading probowl wr in the nfl...

It is. And it's true that you can't make a comparison like that after 9 games. But that wasn't what he said. On the other hand, there's enough evidence that Colston can completely dominate at this level, that you cannot say what his ceiling is, and therefore you cannot say he isn't on the level of Jerry Rice.

We'll see.

One other thing I love about Colston.....have you heard anything from him this season? I mean, how many quotes from this guy have hit the media even with all the hype he's starting to get?

Man, I love his quiet demeanor. I hope it stays that way. (and it's another one of the things that makes him "Rice-like"!

One other thing I love about Colston.....have you heard anything from him this season? I mean, how many quotes from this guy have hit the media even with all the hype he's starting to get?

Man, I love his quiet demeanor. I hope it stays that way. (and it's another one of the things that makes him "Rice-like"!

What impresses me is that--and even moreso the past few weeks--he's starting to play more violently and with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. It really reminds me of Barry Sanders or Walter Payton--a guy who is just blowing people up, and yet after the play he just walks away. I find it a bit intimidating.

Here is a little of my thinking on this. Yes its too early to make his bust for Canton but so far I see similarities. Colston knows how to get separation, makes catches when covered, goes and gets the ball with his hands, makes clutch plays when needed. He appears to have the same composure as Rice in that he lets his play on the field do his talking instead of making himself better than the game. I see colston as the guy who will not get the big head and will always work to learn the position and better his game like Rice did. Will he play as well a Rice for as long as Rice? I doubt it because Rice was a freak and it takes alot of luck and personal sacrifice to keep yourself healthy like Rice did.

I'd compare him to Chris Carter but he was a more of a burner receiver.

Um...What makes Jerry Rice the best EVER, is longevity and consistency. You can't say someone is the next anyone within 9 games. It took Jerry Rice 246 games to EARN that title. How can you just give it to Colston because he's had an awesome first 9 games.

Um...What makes Jerry Rice the best EVER, is longevity and consistency. You can't say someone is the next anyone within 9 games. It took Jerry Rice 246 games to EARN that title. How can you just give it to Colston because he's had an awesome first 9 games.

IIRC the first post on this thread asked if anyone saw the next Jerry Rice playing for the Saints.

I think what the OP was trying to say is that this guy COULD be the next JR.....he has a similar skill set, plays in the WCO and has a great QB who loves getting him the ball.

We've never had a player with this much potential at Wideout.....Horn was already a Vet when we got him....and I know that Chandler and others were good......a franchise where Eric Martin was considered the best up until 2000 has an admittadly low criteria for "best ever". I know Joe has done alot as a Saint but the original spirit of this post was "potential"........and Colston could match what Horns done in 5 years if he keeps his performance at the level it's at now......and oh yea......Brees needs to stay healthy as well!

Hey, it's a good conversation to have. Before the season we were worried about who would take the mantle from Horn when he retired...it seems we've found our answer in a 7th round pick from Hofstra!

I love the NFL!!

Calvin Johnson will likely go in the top 3 of next year's draft. I'll bet he doesn't put up Colston's numbers in his rookie year. He looks the biggest draft steal since Tom Brady. However, let's hope he doesn't go the way of Michael Clayton. He had 1193 receiving yards and 7 TDs his rookie year. He has 616 yards and 1 TD since. Don't think Colston will go that way but I bet Bucs fans didn't think Clayton would either after his rookie of the year debut season

I had to find this thread since my boy told me about it. My question is, why cut a post down when it is an optimistic Saints post? You dont have to agree. But what do you get out of refuting someone's joy?

You do need to make the argument. The fact that Jerry is the best ever doesn't mean a thing. There was a best ever before Jerry--and had Randy Moss not been a complete nut job, and if he had the work ethic or a Rice or Colston, he would be the best reciever ever hands down.

You can't flip it back on me, just because you can't back up your one-line proclamations.

No it's not "ludicrous."

wow. :lol:

just wow.

Jerry Rice was the first Marques Colston

---> He's no Jerry Rice. Moss might be the closest one of having a shot at Rice records for TDs... that's if he plays 5/6 more seasons and scores between 15 & 20 TDs a season !!!!!!!

But if Colston can stay healthy and be the worker he seems to be all his carreer, then he might become a WR to remember and the best Saints WR (that's also if he remains a Saints). Boldin had a huge rookie season, Clayton had a big rookie season, but then injury bugs them .... Anyone mentioning one of them when comparing to Colston... NOPE.

I just hope Colston continue to amaze me every week until the end of this season, stay injury free and comes even stronger next season when Horn starts talking about retirement. I'd hate Horn to become half of himself and repeat the last two seasons... I want him to have another one or two great seasons. Pse Horn dont finish ur tenure as a Saints 30 rec & 500 yds.

Last edited:
---> He's no Jerry Rice. Moss might be the closest one of having a shot at Rice records for TDs... that's if he plays 5/6 more seasons and scores between 15 & 20 TDs a season !!!!!!!

But if Colston can stay healthy and be the worker he seems to be all his carreer, then he might become a WR to remember and the best Saints WR (that's also if he remains a Saints). Boldin had a huge rookie season, Clayton had a big rookie season, but then injury bugs them .... Anyone mentioning one of them when comparing to Colston... NOPE.

I just hope Colston continue to amaze me every week until the end of this season, stay injury free and comes even stronger next season when Horn starts talking about retirement. I'd hate Horn to become half of himself and repeat the last two seasons... I want him to have another one or two great seasons. Pse Horn dont finish ur tenure as a Saints 30 rec & 500 yds.

If colston is not a 1 year wonder he will extends Horns career. Horn will be a great #2 receiver until he can no longer walk off the field. Colston will get the dbl coverage and Horn will flourish again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom