Courtney Roby! (1 Viewer)

Man I don't think it's Roby's fault. The dude has proven in the past that when lanes exist, he is a great returner.

Nobody really makes their own lanes on kickoff returns. Dancing and moves get you nowhere if there is no blocking.

Roby takes off full speed and hopes a sliver opens up, which is exactly what you want. He's been getting his chhhruum knocked in the dirt because there aren't any lanes.

I mean, last year his numbers were great, weren't they. It's a bit simple minded to say "we haven't been getting return yards - Roby stinks!11!"

And no, I'm not Courtney Roby.

I agree that "dancing and moves gets you nowhere" on KRs, but there's definitely something to be said for vision. Roby fields the kick and heads straight upfield full speed ahead, and like you said "hopes a sliver opens up."

That's why I'm advocating the use of Pierre Thomas as our primary Kick-Returner... PT has the vision to field the kick, see where the blocking is setting up, read it correctly, and hit it up there!

He has not been doing much as far as KR. Seems like he's not even trying some times. But he stile effective as a gunner.

If Chris Ivory really has taken over as our primary ball-carrier, and Coach Payton really does have Pierre Thomas in the "dog house"... and this really is going to be PT's last year as a Saint...

Then why not get the most out of him while he's here, and put him back there returning kick-offs?

The guy is an AWESOME Kick-Returner!

Nothing wrong with Roby. Give him the blocking our opponents have had on kickoff returns, and you'd see different results. ST coaching is the issue and has to be addressed. Roby isn't the problem. On punt returns, I don't understand putting your starting CB, who's had trouble staying injury-free, back to catch punts. Payton doesn't trust Bush, and Moore misjudges a lot of punts he should fair-catch. It got so bad last year, I remember Darren Sharper fielding punts at Tampa.

It starts with the ST coach. Payton knows there's a problem. What's he going to do to address it? That's what we're waiting to see.

Coaching

That is all.

EXACTLY!!

lol i love how so many people try to single out the returners themselves.

IF THE RETURNS WHETHER THEY ARE ON KICKOFFS OR PUNTS ARE NOT SET UP PROPERLY THEY WILL = FAILSAUCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good lord almighty.

Roby is as solid as it gets. Michel Lewis, Dante Hall, and Devin Hester each had a spectacular season bookended by pretty good seasons. You can expect your returner to have those types of seasons every year. I'm really happy with his overall solid play both returning and covering.

He's simply not. He's been pretty awful returning kicks this year.

ST coaching is the issue and has to be addressed. Roby isn't the problem. On punt returns, I don't understand putting your starting CB, who's had trouble staying injury-free, back to catch punts.

It starts with the ST coach. Payton knows there's a problem. What's he going to do to address it? That's what we're waiting to see.

I'm open to the idea that it's coaching.... But I need someone to explain why they think it's coaching??? I've heard several people say that and that makes me ask the question... It's easy to point to coaching or play calling cuz you don't need evidence really... If a play doesn't work, it was a bad play call and the coach is stupid.... Sooo anyway.... please give me the reasons that you think it's coaching.

Thanks

I'm open to the idea that it's coaching.... But I need someone to explain why they think it's coaching??? I've heard several people say that and that makes me ask the question... It's easy to point to coaching or play calling cuz you don't need evidence really... If a play doesn't work, it was a bad play call and the coach is stupid.... Sooo anyway.... please give me the reasons that you think it's coaching.

Thanks

I agree. Why is it coaching in this instance?

I'm not sure how you can blame the coach for Roby having no vision and insisting on continuing to run straight up his blocker's backs instead of making a cut somewhere.

One specific kickoff yesterday Roby had room to run if he breaks it outside to the left and he had lane inside if he goes right. Instead he runs into his blocker (literally ran into him) and trys to power forward for a few yards. He's been doing this all year.

I can't even say Roby has been a good gunner this year. He really hasn't.

Roby is as solid as it gets. Michel Lewis, Dante Hall, and Devin Hester each had a spectacular season bookended by pretty good seasons. You can expect your returner to have those types of seasons every year. I'm really happy with his overall solid play both returning and covering.

You're watching some different football from me.

He has been hugely disappointing. A dude who takes the ball runs 15 yards and then hits a brick wall because he has no maneuverability. Straight line into a whole host of defenders. Each and every time.

If he makes it to the 30 yard line, I'm happy. That's not good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom