COVID-19 Outbreak (Update: More than 2.9M cases and 132,313 deaths in US) (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the daily narrative of the extreme right wing today is a cure. Hydroxychloroquine combined with Azithromycin is now the holy grail after a French study showed 100% of patients that completed treatment with Hydroxychloriquine were cured. When combined with Azithromycin they were cured even faster.

This was a very limited study, it only had 26 people. Only 20 of those completed the medication, of those only 4 had lower respiratory symptoms (pneumonia). The other 6 people quit taking the medication after they got sick or went from general care to ICU and these people were thrown out of the results. So basically it cured everyone that had milder disease and anyone that got worse they didn't count. Finally, the group taking the cocktail didn't have anyone over 60 years old, the only group without multiple people over 60.

Doesn't mean it wont work but good god, that is useless study.

but, what it did show is that for milder cases it did clear them up much quicker and kept them from getting worse. Which really is a key thing. If that combo can be used on patients early enough to keep at least a part from ending up in ICU on ventilators then that’s a massive help.
The medical community doesn’t have the answers. But, if this is an important piece, then let’s go with it. 26 patients started, 20 were cured by day 6. While I agree not a cure, and I agree not the end all man at least it’s something.

Looking at a coworkers best fit curve of cases, the exponential growth will likely (my best estimate) have us see around 100,000 cases of COVID19 in the USA before the curve bends.

That would be around March 27, give or take a few days.

If it doesn't slow down, we could be facing 500,000 cases by April 2nd.

Odds are we can't test that fast to see those numbers. But that is the reality of exponential growth.

Last edited:
Looking at a coworkers best fit curve of cases, the exponential growth will likely (my best estimate) have us see around 100,000 cases of COVID19 in the USA before the curve bends.

That would be around March 27, give or take a few days.

If it doesn't slow down, we could be facing 500,000 cases my April 2nd.

Odds are we can't test that fast to see those numbers. But that is the reality of exponential growth.
I’m very curious to see what happens in California, specifically the SF Bay Area which has now been on lockdown almost a week. By next weekend we should see how this is going to work out

but, what it did show is that for milder cases it did clear them up much quicker and kept them from getting worse. Which really is a key thing. If that combo can be used on patients early enough to keep at least a part from ending up in ICU on ventilators then that’s a massive help.
The medical community doesn’t have the answers. But, if this is an important piece, then let’s go with it. 26 patients started, 20 were cured by day 6. While I agree not a cure, and I agree not the end all man at least it’s something.
Right but if you take the worst 6 people out the control then it wouldn't be a difference. It's like Brees stats, you cant just take away 6 interceptions because it was in games we lost.

I dont know, maybe I'm being overly critical. Perhaps I'll take this philosophy with me in life and just pretend the worst 6 of everything didnt happen. :hihi:

I’m very curious to see what happens in California, specifically the SF Bay Area which has now been on lockdown almost a week. By next weekend we should see how this is going to work out

I am not sure we will be able to actually see changes in the curve until a week or two after it starts to bend.

Our ability to test will still be rising even once the rate of infection slows.

We may still be finding a higher number of new cases because we are finding a higher percentage of new cases, so the numbers are probably going to take a while to reflect a real trend in rate of infection.

Hey Brennan, I get this post, however I think it is hard to expect to come into a thread about a global virus pandemic killing hundreds daily and not feel bad about it. Burying our head in the sand or not liking debate about the severity isn't going to make the problems go away, and in reality, it's a part of the problem and why we are where we are today.

My suggestion would be that if you only want the facts, seek those out in news articles rather than going on a message board thread about such an emotional, stressful topic. I don't mean that in a harsh way either, because I understand where you're coming from; I just don't know if the ask here is not very realistic for this type of topic.
I think the issue is that when this thread was started it was 99% info (tweets, articles etc) and 1% conversations about the info. Now it’s 80% debate and complaining and 20% useful info. I’ve even noticed suerchuck and bccmleshifklmnop have started contributing less. I think this should be pure info and make another thread for debating. I’m guilty of it as well some in here.

That's a pretty substantial finding. With some more study and a test that can not only identify if someone has covid but viral load numbers would really help triage patients.

It would be really awesome to find out what causes the higher viral load and whether it is environmental exposure levels or immunity response that causes the difference.

I think the issue is that when this thread was started it was 99% info (tweets, articles etc) and 1% conversations about the info. Now it’s 80% debate and complaining and 20% useful info. I’ve even noticed suerchuck and bccmleshifklmnop have started contributing less. I think this should be pure info and make another thread for debating. I’m guilty of it as well some in here.

Agreed. I only post updates. I concentrate on the info from New Orleans or Louisiana wide info as well as the Mississippi Gulf Coast and Mississippi as a whole. I'll also post national news or world news sources. BNO Newsroom is dedicated to just COVID-19 updates so I post them and if they are slow, the I will post a Disclose.tv post, but they meddle in the political area in their posts so if I post from there it is just a stats posts that will make it to BNO Newsroom eventually.

Or if you gave it as a “flu” shot of som sort would it prevent it from getting worse?

Understood. I will comply moving forward.

I think it's because mainly the original purpose of the thread has been fulfilled. Pretty much everyone is aware of the virus, the threat it poses and potential countermeasures. Also, we're now at the tipping point, it's either going to get much better (if we started cracking down in time), or much worse (if we didn't)... not much more to do but wait.

Canada is up to over 75,000 tests administered - that includes 20,000 yesterday alone. The capacity to test has been okay thus far but health officials have said it's not enough. The criticism has been consistent and they've been working to ramp it up.

And yesterday was the first day of the 'rollout' for this new capacity.

Social distancing and border control and increasing tests have really increased the past few days. They are also tracing contact more vigorously and isolating suspected, investigated cases.

They now the next couple of weeks could be really rough and trying to mitigate that with measures now. We'll see...

Jesus Christ here is a another Darwinism award.

and if you are wondering they still don’t get it.

The club is taking steps to allow people to enjoy recreation safely, moving tables far apart, disinfecting and, on the golf course, limiting golfers to one per cart, he said. In the email, Beaver told club members that coronavirus could not survive in the chlorination and filtration systems of the pool.

On the coronavirus section of its website, the Centers for Disease Control says that proper maintenance and disinfection with chlorine and bromine "should remove or inactivate the virus that causes COVID-19."
But some worry that people in a pool could increase the chances of airborne transmission.
Sabrina Pierre, who lives near Beau Chene and was among those who called Lorino, said the concern is for the bigger picture. "Are they carriers, are they going out in public and leaving the neighborhood?"
She said that Beaver told her husband during a phone call that he was insulted at the insinuation that the club doesn't care about its members.
"Your actions say otherwise when they directly contradict what the governor is telling people to do, " Pierre said. "This is bigger than your pool party."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom