Cowherd Thinks Bengals Should Draft Burrows Replacement Soon. (1 Viewer)

The only scenario I could see this actually making sense is if they anticipate Burrow pulling an Andrew Luck because of all the hits he's taken in his first years. With how rare it is to find QBs of his caliber, you gotta keep rebuilding around him until he's done. Outside of the Packers, I cant name a team that has moved on from a franchise QB and have it work out
Lions got better by letting Stafford go. And I’m old enough to remember Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady seemed to work for Patriots. There are a couple of others.
Colts going from Peyton Manning to Luck would be another one, right?

But they didn't. They went from Manning to Painter (iirc) to Luck. Most of the other examples here are referring to great QB to great QB.

They went Manning to Luck. Painter may have played while Manning was hurt. But Manning was on the team and they wouldn't have let him go if they didn't have the 1st pick in the draft knowing they were going to get Luck.

But they didn't. They went from Manning to Painter (iirc) to Luck. Most of the other examples here are referring to great QB to great QB.
Manning was their starting qb; he just got hurt, so Painter played in his place. They only moved on from Manning because they were transitioning to Luck.

Manning was their starting qb; he just got hurt, so Painter played in his place. They only moved on from Manning because they were transitioning to Luck.
It's been a minute, and my memory was likely basing it entirely off that Colts-Saints SNF game. For some reason I was under the impression that Manning got surgery before the season started with both sides more or less being in agreement that it was his last season there. I don't remember him being injured during the season at all. My bad.

Still don't know if I'd classify it in the same space as something like Montana/Young or Favre/Rodgers/Love. Not to take away from the pretty seamless transition itself, either, though.

The only scenario I could see this actually making sense is if they anticipate Burrow pulling an Andrew Luck because of all the hits he's taken in his first years. With how rare it is to find QBs of his caliber, you gotta keep rebuilding around him until he's done. Outside of the Packers, I cant name a team that has moved on from a franchise QB and have it work out in their favor.
Depends if you think Drew Brees was a franchise QB in San Diego. I say he was.

Burrow has missed a lot of time in his brief career. It's not as far-fetched an idea as some are suggesting.
I agree with this. If Joey B goes down again with an injury, then if the wheels fall off and they land a top 3 pick, then they absolutely should consider drafting his replacement.

Lions got better by letting Stafford go. And I’m old enough to remember Drew Bledsoe to Tom Brady seemed to work for Patriots. There are a couple of others.
They didn’t necessarily draft Brady to be Drew’s replacement and I’m willing to say at the time didn’t necessarily think he’d be his future replacement. They just took a flyer in the 6th on a QB and probably weren’t even 100% sure he’d make the roster after a year, at the time of course.

Also the Lions are another team that struck gold. They traded Stafford more bc they knew they couldn’t win, traded him at 32 years old with the chance to let Goff start for a year or two and go draft their future QB or find their future QB. Just so happens Goff turned it around and they got lucky.

I mean I get your point just chiming in lol

They went Manning to Luck. Painter may have played while Manning was hurt. But Manning was on the team and they wouldn't have let him go if they didn't have the 1st pick in the draft knowing they were going to get Luck.
It was the "Suck for Luck" year. They gave up on Manning right after he signed a new contract when he blew out his elbow. The Colts had an out the next year due to a large roster bonus I believe was $20M due at the start of the league year so they voided the contract and drafted Luck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom