Current 53 Man Roster after cuts before IRs and (re-)signings (1 Viewer)

Maybe... just maybe the staff will use him correctly and have him rush the passer (think Kaden Ellis role) instead of chasing running backs through the secondary. At least that's what I hope. I hate it when they try to change a player. the dude was a pretty good edge rusher at Wisky, but DA thought it would be a good idea to make him a standup LB. Just makes no sense.
That's my hope as well. I think Baun could have success if used like Kaden Ellis was last season. Just rush the QB. Keep it simple. It should be obvious by now that he's not a LBer in the traditional sense. Get him on the edge and let him go. If he's not great at that then I don't know what they can do with him.

He's our only legit Strong side Linebacker & Special Teams
Good on Special teams; not so good on defense. Almost every day of training camp I read about a big offensive play with Baun in coverage. Granted I wasn’t there to see it but I read it a lot.
I did watch all three preseason game and J. Smith made drive ending plays in the second and third preseason games. Really don’t remember seeing Baun making any plays on defense.

They likely want both, but cutting Smith is "safer" since there is no waiver wire for him to pass in order to re-sign him tomorrow. They can have a handshake deal in place to sign him after IR designations are made. They can't do that if they waive Baun because he could be forced to sign with another squad via the waiver wire.
If all of that is true ( no reason why you'd post without knowing) then it makes a ton of sense! No waiver for Smith and keep a loaded LB corps! Overall? Being a Homer and all? I believe we have a TEAM which could surely WIN 12 games ~! Win The NFC South and compete for NFC Championship and perhaps? GEAUX all the WAY~! ( no major injuries or League interference , of course....)

I count 54 in the post, but Kamara is listed and he doesn’t count because he’s suspended, so that would make it 53.

It’ll be interesting to see if Trequan and anyone else is put on IR and then if someone is brought back or another team’s castoff is added.

You would think Jaylen Smith would be brought back after his salary isn’t guaranteed or whatever that stuff is.
I should have strikethrough AK’s name from the beginning.

Based on DA’s presser today, Jaylon Smith should be coming back soon. He’ll swap out with one of TQS or Landon Young. I think both of them will go to IR. Probably Merritt too. Then Darrel Williams and Ellis Merriweather will be re-signed to the main roster or PS and activate on gameday.

How the roster currently looks before 2-3 players likely head to IR, re-signing a couple of our cuts and likely signing another OL:

QB: Carr, Winston, Haener
RB: Kamara, J. Williams, Miller, Merritt
FB: Prentice
WR: Olave, Thomas, Shaheed, Kirkwood, Perry, Smith
TE: J. Johnson, Moreau, Graham, Hill
LT: Penning, Young
LG: Hurst (LT2), Peat (LT3), Saldiveri (RG3/RT2)
C: McCoy, Garcia (RG2)
RG: Ruiz
RT: Ramcyzk

LDE: Jordan, Kpassagnon
NT: Saunders, Roach
DT: Bresee, Shepherd
RDE: Granderson, Turner, Foskey
LB: Davis, Werner, Baun, Jackson, Sewell
CB: Lattimore, Adebo/Taylor, Amadi, Yiadom
S: Mathieu, Maye, Howden, L. Johnson (CB5), Gray

K: Grupe
P: Hedley
LS: Wood
Looks GOOD to me~! The "D" remains solid and The "O" should be very impressive with gaudy numbers! Sp. Teams? The proof will be in the playing for sure~! Time to get this Party Started~!

Baun is listed at 225lbs. He isn't an NFL pass rusher at 225. Even at Wisconsin he was light for a DE at 238. Kaden Ellis is the player he should have been but couldn't be because he wasn't as good as Ellis. His benefit is a cheap contract.

I meant for Baun as a blitzing LB not a hand-in-the-ground. Ellis played his way into that contract and we couldn't afford him. But IMO Baun would be better used blitzing from the 2nd level or as an extra defender off the edge than he would be in coverage.

Good on Special teams; not so good on defense. Almost every day of training camp I read about a big offensive play with Baun in coverage. Granted I wasn’t there to see it but I read it a lot.
I did watch all three preseason game and J. Smith made drive ending plays in the second and third preseason games. Really don’t remember seeing Baun making any plays on defense.
If our defense puts Baun out there in coverage, then they get what they get. Should be used in blitz and run support only on the few plays he's out there on defense.
Only reason folks are down on him for being a special teams ace is because he was a 3rd round pick. That draft was years ago... He's no longer a 3rd round pick. Now he's a core special teams player.

If our defense puts Baun out there in coverage, then they get what they get. Should be used in blitz and run support only on the few plays he's out there on defense.
Only reason folks are down on him for being a special teams ace is because he was a 3rd round pick. That draft was years ago... He's no longer a 3rd round pick. Now he's a core special teams player.
Some sites had him going in the late first round, too. So what'd we do? Grab him in the third and ask him to play a totally different position off-ball and it seems some fans don't seem to understand that.

I meant for Baun as a blitzing LB not a hand-in-the-ground. Ellis played his way into that contract and we couldn't afford him. But IMO Baun would be better used blitzing from the 2nd level or as an extra defender off the edge than he would be in coverage.
I know what you mean but come on he couldn't beat out a 7th rounder for that role. 3 years on he's here because he's cheap not good.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom