Cutting the cable, lets talk options and media setups (1 Viewer)

If any of you have a good sized digital library you should download Plex Media Server. It puts everything in a nice looking interface and streams everything straight from your HDD to your streaming device. Its also free but you can go with premium but I don't think its really worth it.

ok, this actually looks very appealing. It looks like the cable providers armor has finally chinked enough. It not true a la carte yet but now that one is doing it I would think they will all have to do it and with tweeks to those "extras" packages I could very well see myself getting into that.

Very good info thanks for posting!

(btw, someone posted something cox did that looked something similar last year but they were only offering to people who had already cut the cord)

We bought a house last year with 360 degree tree cover, so byebye Directv. We decided to cut the cord then instead of get cable. Roku on every tv, netflix/hulu plus/amazon prime (gravy since I use prime shipping at least once a week anyway) subscriptions plus antenna has worked out well enough, aside from a couple of issues. Worth it when you consider you're not paying a cable/sat bill, can place your tvs anywhere you get wifi now no longer tethered to a coax, and you can hunt down a stream for something live easily enough these days if you're desperate.

TLDR; bummed when Directv couldn't get line of sight at new house, now over it and happy we cut the cord.

They said $20 for sling, but didn't say /month, /year, /lifetime (HAHAHA HAHAHA) I know it's not that one

How long until our ala carte bill is higher than cable?

monthly.

true ala carte or even the smaller bundles will change things in lots of ways. Those **** channels will probably just sink and maybe that will improve the content of the fewer.

It would be more expensive if you still insisted on all those channels. How many would you actually want? I could get by with just the live sports and maybe 2 others.

monthly.

true ala carte or even the smaller bundles will change things in lots of ways. Those **** channels will probably just sink and maybe that will improve the content of the fewer.

It would be more expensive if you still insisted on all those channels. How many would you actually want? I could get by with just the live sports and maybe 2 others.

Maybe it would force FX to jettison FXX and move its better comedy content back to a single channel, and many more similarly positioned media offerings to do the same.

Now about this ShowBox. Is there a way to hack it onto a Roku?

I called and cancelled my cable two days ago. It's still on. I also called them three times today. Still on. They refuse to turn it off. I will refuse to pay. What next?

Just got my Cox bill and it looks like they are raising prices again by $4.00. Ridiculous.

I called and cancelled my cable two days ago. It's still on. I also called them three times today. Still on. They refuse to turn it off. I will refuse to pay. What next?

Do you have a cable box issued by the provider? If so, they will probably keep charging you until you turn it in.

If you don't? Document who you spoke/speak with and wait to see if an actual bill comes in. If it does, dispute it. If it doesn't ... try not to watch your free cable. :rolleyes:

I am in this process too.
I have a firestick and chromecast. My chromecast is almost useless with it on the 2.4 channels. The firestick on 5 GHz is game changer. I am sideloading stream apps to firestick now. With my goal to get project free tv. If this works, I might order a 2nd for the bedroom and then so long directv.

And done. I think this will be my final answer. I need to get antenna for a couple of local channels and then that is it

Just got my Cox bill and it looks like they are raising prices again by $4.00. Ridiculous.

CableOne just notified us of this as well. My wife and I keep daring eachother to cancel. Think I just called her bluff. Went ahead and ordered a new modem so we don't have to keep renting one from CableOne. It should be in today. Going to set it up to ensure it works before bringing theirs back along with the two HDDVRs. Will keep the internet through them and rely on Netflix, Amazon Prime and antenna. Really anxious to see if my internet speed suffers as a result of cancelling cable.

As far as the antenna goes, I've checked the websites and it doesn't look like I'll be able to pull in any stations from NOLA due to distance. So my question is will my tv's internal tuner be able to pick up my local channels or should I still pick up an antenna?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom