Saints DE failures: will Granderson and Baun teach FO a lesson? (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Marcus Davenport
Payton Turner
Isaiah Foskey

All picked in the first or second round, and all are busts. Foskey could turn out to be a role player but I don't think he has the drive to get better.

The prototype of the 270-300 lb DE is not working for us. I just re-watched Baun lined up at LE make a tackle behind the LOS on a shotgun run as he scraped across the field to clean up the play.

Granderson is an UDFA having a pro bowl season. Luckily, they learned from Trey Hendrickson and re-signed Granderson.

We couldn't keep Kaden Ellis. What will be the fate of Baun?

Will the draft strategy change instead of sticking to prototypes and positional hierarchy over talent?

I would argue that the combination of the three picks of Davenport, Turner and Penning is the third worse setback after losing Brees and Payton.

The selection and management of talent by this organization have been poor for six years. As GM, Loomis is ultimately responsible. Certainly Payton had a huge voice in what we did before he left. Without being inside the organization, it is hard to evaluate Ireland.

Marcus Davenport
Payton Turner
Isaiah Foskey

All picked in the first or second round, and all are busts. Foskey could turn out to be a role player but I don't think he has the drive to get better.

The prototype of the 270-300 lb DE is not working for us. I just re-watched Baun lined up at LE make a tackle behind the LOS on a shotgun run as he scraped across the field to clean up the play.

Granderson is an UDFA having a pro bowl season. Luckily, they learned from Trey Hendrickson and re-signed Granderson.

Will the draft strategy change instead of sticking to prototypes and positional hierarchy over talent?

I would argue that the combination of the three picks of Davenport, Turner and Penning is the third worse setback after losing Brees and Payton.
How big is Granderson?

It would be easier to staff a 3-4. We'd have our DE in Ganderson. Breese could line up as the other DE and we could find some humungous dude from Waffle House to block up the middle -- we might already have a couple. Guys like Baun and Sewell could actually contribute. And vet linebackers are a dime a dozen these days and lb are pretty easy to draft.

Why are we already declaring Foskey as a bust? He hasn't even finished his rookie season. By those standards, Cam Jordan would have been a bust. It's really, really hard to find good edge rushers, hence why they're some of the highest paid players in the league. I would imagine if you looked at the hit rate of most of the league on edge rushers in the 1st round it would be quite low. They're not a dime a dozen like RBs and linebackers.

It would be easier to staff a 3-4. We'd have our DE in Ganderson. Breese could line up as the other DE and we could find some humungous dude from Waffle House to block up the middle -- we might already have a couple. Guys like Baun and Sewell could actually contribute. And vet linebackers are a dime a dozen these days and lb are pretty easy to draft.
The toughest defenses are 3-4, Dome Patrol, Ravens, Steelers, etc. Brees had the most difficulty with 3-4 defenses. That would stop our quest for this fabled 6-5 275lb freak athlete that runs a 4.3 forty that the FO keeps looking for. Easier to fill out LBs and some big boys inside, hell, Cam Jordan even at his advanced age fits perfectly into the DE role in a 3-4. Bressee would fit as another DE, bring in a true Nose and a couple fast LBs( Baun) and we got an attacking Dline. We are at the bottom of the league in sacks because we keep drafting for this perfect sized DE that never materializes. Or just keep doing what you're doing. SMDH.

Marcus Davenport
Payton Turner
Isaiah Foskey

Davenport was over drafted, but wasn't a talent bust. He injured his push off foot, and it never healed right. When healthy he was really good. Turner was a bust, Foskey is only in his first yr. Cam (1 sack) didn't look good his first yr either.

Baun is stepping up but his play is still spotty at times. He's had a better season than expected. I'm pulling for him to continue to be a factor in the defense. The Saints over reached for Turner. Foskey looks like a football player when he's in uniform on the sidelines but a lost puppy when in the game. Him an Penning will be holding clipboards and handing out water for awhile until they develop. That's if they develop.

Marcus Davenport
Payton Turner
Isaiah Foskey

I agree and the person responsible should be fired or demoted.

Which players did Ireland pick again?
All of them since he's been with the team. Although, serval people say the HC makes the call on high picks. I blame him for Dav, Turner, Penning.

Some defensive and offensive schemes allow teams to get creative without being chained to traditional size at different positions. DA's scheme is about as traditional as you can get. There is no place for tweener pass rushers. Take a guy like Micah Parsons for example. Where does he fit in DA's defense? We've seen DA get creative in the Secondary with CJG but the front seven requires prototype DEs, DTs, and LBs. And that's fine if you have the players. DA had a lot of success when the front seven was loaded. I guess we just need to assemble another all time great defense and DA will be fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom