Saints DE failures: will Granderson and Baun teach FO a lesson? (2 Viewers)

Marcus Davenport
Payton Turner
Isaiah Foskey

All picked in the first or second round, and all are busts. Foskey could turn out to be a role player but I don't think he has the drive to get better.

The prototype of the 270-300 lb DE is not working for us. I just re-watched Baun lined up at LE make a tackle behind the LOS on a shotgun run as he scraped across the field to clean up the play.

Granderson is an UDFA having a pro bowl season. Luckily, they learned from Trey Hendrickson and re-signed Granderson.

We couldn't keep Kaden Ellis. What will be the fate of Baun?

Will the draft strategy change instead of sticking to prototypes and positional hierarchy over talent?

I would argue that the combination of the three picks of Davenport, Turner and Penning is the third worse setback after losing Brees and Payton.

What the FO hasn't figure out is that the once Unicorn 6'7 265lb DE that can play the run and the pass is no longer a unicorn. Where they would have only a few to choose from every draft, you can now take your pick of the litter. The unicorns are the TJ Watt/Granderson/Harold Landry's of the world. Slightly undersized but can be used to passrush all over the formation if you choose as a "designated rusher"

I have beat the Granderson drum since his 1st year. Give me a player that puts in the work, through adversity, and produces when his name is called. Some coaches get too googly eyed with “their vision” of what prototype player they want and not the type of player they need.

Ireland leads scouting. Payton, now Allen, and Loomis are the ones making the picks.
Who puts the final player eval on the table? The coach or the head of scouting? Who said Dav was worth an aggressive move and not Mahomes? Who said Penning was worth trading for?

Who puts the final player eval on the table? The coach or the head of scouting? Who said Dav was worth an aggressive move and not Mahomes? Who said Penning was worth trading for?

The Head Coach and GM decide priority and trades. All Ireland does is scout and grade players. The final list of who gets what priority comes down to the HC and GM.

What the FO hasn't figure out is that the once Unicorn 6'7 265lb DE that can play the run and the pass is no longer a unicorn. Where they would have only a few to choose from every draft, you can now take your pick of the litter. The unicorns are the TJ Watt/Granderson/Harold Landry's of the world. Slightly undersized but can be used to passrush all over the formation if you choose as a "designated rusher"
Also, those types of talents do not make it out of the first round or top 5 if they don't have any red flags.

The Head Coach and GM decide priority and trades. All Ireland does is scout and grade players. The final list of who gets what priority comes down to the HC and GM.
So Ireland came up with the grade, right? Someone is wrong and responsible for these picks.

It's a little early to call Isaiah Foskey a bust.

We hit big on Olave in the first, and Bresee seems to be a great first round pick. Howden and AT Perry look like late round steals so far. Alonte Taylor (2nd rounder) has developed into a high quality starter quality CB, Paulson Adebo was a 2021 3rd rounder.

Every team misses on some of their 1st and second round picks.

Since Ireland joined the team we are doing better at the draft than most organizations.

So Ireland came up with the grade, right? Someone is wrong and responsible for these picks.

Ireland scouts players and submits his evaluations to the Head Coach and GM for them to then review and decide who they want to draft.

The burden of responsibility for the picks is the Head Coach and GM.

Marcus Davenport
Payton Turner
Isaiah Foskey

All picked in the first or second round, and all are busts. Foskey could turn out to be a role player but I don't think he has the drive to get better.

The prototype of the 270-300 lb DE is not working for us. I just re-watched Baun lined up at LE make a tackle behind the LOS on a shotgun run as he scraped across the field to clean up the play.

Granderson is an UDFA having a pro bowl season. Luckily, they learned from Trey Hendrickson and re-signed Granderson.

We couldn't keep Kaden Ellis. What will be the fate of Baun?

Will the draft strategy change instead of sticking to prototypes and positional hierarchy over talent?

I would argue that the combination of the three picks of Davenport, Turner and Penning is the third worse setback after losing Brees and Payton.
I would wager that finding speedy edge rushers to couple with big interior lineman would be a better combination where as having big DE to go up against big Tackles is just two big guys wrestling with each other and does not pose much of a matchup problem for the respective tackles.

What Ellis and Baun bring is versatility to a defense that is built on being versatile (especially in the secondary) but in the front seven we seem to lack that this year and part of the problem is DA not implementing Baun in the role vacated by Ellis as the 4th rusher in the 3-3-5 scheme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom