DirecTV releases 2nd wave of HD Channels (1 Viewer)

...Do they make Tivo boxes that can get the new HD lineups or did DTv sever their ties with Tivo?

Unfortunately, you cannot get a TiVo that receives the new D* HD channels. Just the older channels delivered in MPEG-2. I miss several of the TiVo features, but once you get used to the new HD DVRs, they aren't so bad. And D* seems to upgrading the capability of the new DVRs pretty regularly. The biggest problem with the D* DVRs is documentation. Here is a good link to help the change from TiVo to D* DVR:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648

Still, I really, really miss the TiVo wish list. D* has something sorta, kinda similar but not nearly as good, IMHO...

Unfortunately, you cannot get a TiVo that receives the new D* HD channels. Just the older channels delivered in MPEG-2. I miss several of the TiVo features, but once you get used to the new HD DVRs, they aren't so bad. And D* seems to upgrading the capability of the new DVRs pretty regularly. The biggest problem with the D* DVRs is documentation. Here is a good link to help the change from TiVo to D* DVR:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=72648

Still, I really, really miss the TiVo wish list. D* has something sorta, kinda similar but not nearly as good, IMHO...

Thanks for the response, kooldak.

Here's what I miss: bouncing back and forth between the two tuners on a Tivo box. I'd watch two football games this way, for example, but while recording neither. It seems the only way to get to the second tuner on this new box is to start recording something then check out another channel. And there seems no button for switiching back and forth between the two tuners. And it seems that if you are recording something, switch the channel to watch something else, go back to recorded program, go back to other tuner and it hasn't been recording the stuff on that one. I don't think that makes sense.

I really miss my Tivo box is what I'm saying. :)

why am i getting most channels in 480i and not 720 or 1080?

Thanks for the response, kooldak.

Here's what I miss: bouncing back and forth between the two tuners on a Tivo box. I'd watch two football games this way, for example, but while recording neither. It seems the only way to get to the second tuner on this new box is to start recording something then check out another channel. And there seems no button for switiching back and forth between the two tuners. And it seems that if you are recording something, switch the channel to watch something else, go back to recorded program, go back to other tuner and it hasn't been recording the stuff on that one. I don't think that makes sense.

I really miss my Tivo box is what I'm saying. :)

It actually does make sense. :hihi:

In that link in my post is a work around for that very thing. Not very clean, but you can still accomplish what you used to do with the TiVo with the 2 tuners. Not as clean, but workable. And you do have a 90 minute buffer with the D* DVR instead of 30 minutes with the TiVo....

TiVo is without a doubt the better product, IMHO. But I'm getting used to using the new DVR and have actually found a few features that I like better...

Sorta making the best with whatcha got. :hihi:

Yeah, I'm going to check that link from my home computer. It got "WebSensed" up here at the job. Thanks again for the commiseration.

FYI, this is exactly what DirecTV released today

DIRECTV launched some more HD today:
Cartoon Network (Channel 296)
Fox Business (Channel 359)
Fuel TV (Channel 612)
FX (Channel 248)
HGTV (Channel 229-1)
Speed (Channel 607)
Regional Sports Networks:
FSN Detroit (Channel 636)
FSN Southwest (Channel 643)
FSN West (Channel 652)
FSN Prime Ticket (Channel 653)

Plus 7 PPV Channels: 135, 136, 137, 138, 145, 146, 147

http://dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=97211

kooldak, thanks much for that link. I had pretty much figured the "record them both" theory. i'm sure i'll get used to this box. i'm digging that it has a screen saver.

im about to switch back to directv. alot of channels that i like to occasionally watch like spike and fx. only thing I will miss is equator hd, monster hd, and my distant hd networks from kansas city.,

Hey Guys,

I just made the switch from Tivo to the new box. I don't know if it's because it's new or all of the HD channels, but I'm not missing the Tivo too much. The dual tuners is the only thing I really miss, but that was mainly for Sundays only.

I like how fast it is to record stuff. I don't set up Season Passes so I have to manually choose each program, something that is much quicker than on the Tivo.

At first I didn't like the 30 second "slip'" versus Tivo's skip. I've gotten used to it now and it's not a big deal anymore.

It also helps that where I live I get the locals in HD! I was using OTA with the Tivo and could only get two or three channels consistently. Now I get all of the major ones with no dropouts.

My final bonus - I kept the Tivo hooked up. I already paid for it, have Tivos on the other two TVs we watch in the house, and had one spot open on the multiswitch. So I had the installer run that line to the room so I now have three tuners available on my HDTV. Now I don't ever have to worry about conflicts (which is usually only a problem on Sunday night or Monday night during football season). It also gives me some extra space to throw shows I'm not too interested in until reruns start.

HD rocks! Does anyone know what other channels may be coming? The only one I can think of that I watch and don't have now is Comedy Central. Getting FX was the final big piece in my puzzle. Now if only NFL network would actually have stuff in HD I would feel complete.

what equipment do you have?

Sony LCD Bravia and the Direct TV HD box - they just installed my 5 Lnb Receiver ( after 1 month! ) and I have the BBC (broad ban converter) - now i am referring to my local channels i get in 480

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom