Draft Daddy's 1st round mock draft (1 Viewer)

@ college football / SEC football.... uhhmm no. i dont pay extra money , the nfl is expensive enough
@ mayock : yeah but i can see him falling late. as i remember right , last year he had PUS ranked above beason until one or two months before the draft .... than he ballooned him over all other LB ( but willis ) . same can happen .
mayock also ranked cutler as his best QB project but leinart and young went before him....
@ tackler rekord.... in laurinatis you can see the tackling stat , especially in college is overrated .... alfred fincher was a tacklingmashine with his college team ,too
@ PUS over Willis .... so i use your phrase : Watch more Football
@ Linebacker-U : hmm let me think of it.

Pusluszny
Lavar Arrington
Brandon Short.
Terry Killens
Eric Ravotti
Rob Holmberg
Mark D´Onofrio
Andre Powell
Keith Goganious
Andre Collins

i stop here.... these are all LBs drafted from Penn ST. the last 17 years....i cant see ONE Great thing. Pusluszny can be .... but i doubt it.

so i see your argument .... ya know :D

Well at least you admit you don't watch much football other than SEC. :9:

Arrington was a 3 time Pro-Bowler before getting hurt. Short was out hurt in 2007, but put up decent numbers since he's been in the league. I'm not digging into the rest of them cuz frankly I don't have time.

Perhaps you've forgotten guys like Jack Ham, Greg Buttle, Shane Conlan, Matt Millen (great player, awful FO man)? Awful lotof Super Bowls and other honors between those guys too....

Ham says that Poz is better than he was....I suppose only time will tell.

Like I said, watch a little more football outside your own zip code and you might be surprised what you might learn.:mwink:

Just keep in mind that when the combine comes around
Some guys will jump up and some will fall down. Happens every year.
Also, 2 years ago at this time of the year there was NO WAY that Reggie Bush wouldn't be the #1 pick. NO WAY.
Remember this is the draft, anything can happen.

Dave, you make perfect sense. Anything is possible in a draft, for example-- Ted Ginn at #9 last year.

Or Brady Quinn at #22 I believe. :dunno:

He was a top five pick going in to draft day.

I don't put any stock into mock drafts as you NEVER know what can happen. But I do read them because it is sometimes nice to dream:hihi:

Like I said, watch a little more football outside your own zip code and you might be surprised what you might learn.:mwink:

i watch a lot football out of my zip code and i dont watch SEC one second per year.
you remember ? i live in germany .... and no way pus is better than willis , he never was better and never will be. the whole Linebacker-U story is crap.... if you want to have a linebacker-u you can name ohio state or florida and miami but what Penn State send to the NFL the last ten years was pretty crappy...

i watch a lot football out of my zip code and i dont watch SEC one second per year.
you remember ? i live in germany .... and no way pus is better than willis , he never was better and never will be. the whole Linebacker-U story is crap.... if you want to have a linebacker-u you can name ohio state or florida and miami but what Penn State send to the NFL the last ten years was pretty crappy...

Tell you what....type "Linebacker U" into google and see what you get. 9 references to Penn State and 1 mention of Miami. That's it.

Want even more fun? Type the same thing into Wikipedia and see what you get.

Have a nice day. :9:

Do any experts want to comment on the Dorsey, Ellis, 3-4, 4-3 debate:
from what I know both Ellis and Dorsey fit better as DTs in a 4-3 defense rather than a DT or a DE in a 3-4 defense. From the limited knowledge I have about one gap and two gap schemes, normally the defensive lineman in the 3-4 have 2 gap responsibility. Frequently DT in the 4-3 have one gap responsibility.

ESPN's draft profile on Ellis talks about him being at his best in a one-gap scheme. It also say that he is undersized and he lacks ideal height and bulk. It says that he isn't a good fit for schemes that require two-gap responsibility. They say Ellis plays with a narrow base and will get overwhelmed by bigger blockers. The also talk about how he struggles to anchor when teams run at him and he really needs to be on the move in order to be successful.

ESPN's profile on Dorsey talks about him being a one-gap DT prospect with very good quickness. They say Dorsey also lacks ideal bulk and he needs to be on the move to be effective. They also talk about how he doesn't show the base to anchor against the bigger interior offensive linemen when teams run at him.

I could be wrong, but it seems that both Dorsey and Ellis are better suited for DT in the 4-3. There are 4-5 teams that run the 3-4 in the top 10 picks of the draft. There are 3 highly rated offensive players. Those factors may mean that there is a chance that Dorsey or Ellis fall in the draft.
LSSpam? REALCHRISM? Anyone?

Do any experts want to comment on the Dorsey, Ellis, 3-4, 4-3 debate:

LSSpam? REALCHRISM? Anyone?
i probably don't qualify as an expert, but i agree 100% with you... neither are ideal as 34 NTs, both would (should) be awesome as 43 DTs

The main reason why Dorsey and Ellis wouldn't make ideal DEs in a 3-4 is they're too short. Let's look at some of the 3-4 DEs in the league:

SD:
Luis Castillo: 6'3
Igor Olshansky: 6'6

Dal:

Chris Canty: 6'7
Marcus Spears: 6'4

NE:

Richard Seymour: 6'6
Ty Warren: 6'5

Pit:

Brett Keisel: 6'5
Travis Kirschke: 6'3

Cle:

Orpheus Roye: 6'4
Robaire Smith: 6'4

NYJ:

Shaun Ellis: 6'5
Kenyon Coleman: 6'5

SF:

Bryant Young: 6'3
Marques Douglas: 6'2

Bal:

Dwan Edwards: 6'3
Haloti Ngata: 6'4

Mia:

Vonnie Holiday: 6'5
Matt Roth: 6'4

Dorsey is 6'2 and Ellis is 6'1. Ellis would be a waste at DE; sure he's talented, but he works best as a 1-gap penetrator to get into the backfield, rather than hold the O-line to free up the OLBs to make plays. I liken Ellis to La'Roi Glover or Warren Sapp; they're prototypical playmaking 3-techs. Dorsey may be able to adjust, but is better suited as a 4-3 DT, where he can play 1 gap and shoot up the middle, or hold the line and close holes in the running game. Not that either player couldn't make the transition, but they're a little on the short side and it would be a waste of their talents.

3-4 NT? Forget it; they're at least 30 lbs too light. Guys to play the nose are a rare commodity; that's why guys like Ted Washington and Keith Traylor keep finding starting jobs; not too many fat guys that can hold up like they do.

The main reason why Dorsey and Ellis wouldn't make ideal DEs in a 3-4 is they're too short. Let's look at some of the 3-4 DEs in the league:

Pit:

Brett Keisel: 6'5
Travis Kirschke: 6'3

Kirschke doesn't start, but Aaron Smith does and he's 6'5" The Steelers have two 6'5" guys on either end and 6'1" 325# Casey Hampton in the middle.

Good point about the height issue, it's one I hadn't thought of.

Kirschke doesn't start, but Aaron Smith does and he's 6'5" The Steelers have two 6'5" guys on either end and 6'1" 325# Casey Hampton in the middle.

Good point about the height issue, it's one I hadn't thought of.

Yes, you are correct. (Kirschke started in place of Smith when Smith went on IR.)

I don't think height is so much an issue for the NT; it's more about the width. Hampton is rather small for a typical NT, though. Still a good one, though.

Yes, you are correct. (Kirschke started in place of Smith when Smith went on IR.)

I don't think height is so much an issue for the NT; it's more about the width. Hampton is rather small for a typical NT, though. Still a good one, though.

6'1" 325 lbs. He's the Maurice Jones-Drew of NT's. :hihi: :hihi:

Tell you what....type "Linebacker U" into google and see what you get. 9 references to Penn State and 1 mention of Miami. That's it.

Want even more fun? Type the same thing into Wikipedia and see what you get.

Have a nice day. :9:

and then ?

i prefer the best footballer and dont care about "the traditions" the other colleges had send better and more productive players .... what the heck we are talking about ?

and then ?

i prefer the best footballer and dont care about "the traditions" the other colleges had send better and more productive players .... what the heck we are talking about ?

You're jumping in logic to state that a player is good or not good based on what school he went to. In your opinion Penn State puts out lousy linebackers so clearly puz and connor can't be any good. :dunno:

I'm done now.

I would love to get Ellis, but prolly not. I think Harvey is too high here and Gholston needs to be higher. I hope Dan Conner gets a bad rep and he falls to us in the second, hey I can dream can't I

I would love to get Ellis, but prolly not. I think Harvey is too high here and Gholston needs to be higher. I hope Dan Conner gets a bad rep and he falls to us in the second, hey I can dream can't I
If there is a chance Dorsey or Ellis falls we would probably have to trade up to #6, #7, or #8 to get him. I agress about Gholston. I would switch Harvey and Gholston since both will be running 3-4 defenses. Mike Detillier has Harvey going #9 to the Bengals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom