Extend Ingram NOW!!! (1 Viewer)

I really hope we resign ingram but i have a feeling someone like the ravens are gonna pay more than us and actually give him 20 carries a game.

Hope that doesn't happen. But it such a scenario might be reason enough for Payton to target a running back higher in the draft than most on here would like.

He's been an entirely different player since (a) we switched to a zone blocking scheme similar to what he played in at Alabama, and (b) we are forced by injuries to stop subbing him out every other play

and (c) inserted Terron Armstead at LT.

We will resign him for the right price but keep in mind we have contracts for Jordan coming up also. what really needs to be discussed is who will be restructing or being released at the end of the season to make resigning these young core players possible.

Saints are a top 10 rushing Team this year its not a fluke that we ran over the Packers we have been running over Teams all year its just one player was featured this game. I think people suggesting that Ingram game was a fluke need to keep in mind that we are a top rushing Team using 3 backs and that one back got the carries this game.

Ingram has been steadily accending since 2012, he reallly made his mark towards the second half of the season last year and it has carried over to this year, he is the bell cow we drafted him to be.

This is the truth. The running game, including Ingram, has been solid all year. Ingram has been playing at a high level since the second half of last year. The question then was could he be consistent. Well, he has shown that he can be. He should become the focal point of our running game going forward.

I hope we re-sign him, but I wouldn't count on it guys. On the open market, he'll get more money and a chance to be the featured back. Payton has never had a featured back and wont start now. Ingram is gone.

I hope we re-sign him, but I wouldn't count on it guys. On the open market, he'll get more money and a chance to be the featured back. Payton has never had a featured back and wont start now. Ingram is gone.

Smart players dont run for the money they always consider fit. The Saints will be fair in their pursuit of Ingram and wont over spend for his services but Ingram has to keep in mind that there is a winning culture here that he fits and bolting for big bucks to play for the Jags (example) may be a smart move for the opportunity to be the feature guy but will he win.

I don't think there is any way that Mark Ingram is wearing black and gold next season.

He gone

Ingram has done well when given the chance to run 20 times, and when our O line clicks. But IMO I think Khiry could do just as well.

In year's past I would agree, but Ingram for the first time looks considerably better than his backup. He looks, quicker and stronger than Khiry.

Unlike in previous years, Ingram does not need 20 carries to be effective. This is the first year that Ingram is effective from the get-go in games. He is picking up chunk yardage in the first quarter. He no longer needs 12 carries at 2.2 ypc to get warmed up or wear down the defense. Not sure what has changed, but he just looks so much more explosive and powerful this year.

Just looked at your chart and wow guess who's coming to dinner Thursday night. The 2nd worst run defense in the land.

But... But... But, you can't use his facts to prove your point! That's not fair! Find your own facts!

:hihi:

One night does a season not make.

You're right. One night doesn't make a season. But what about the 159 yards on 34 carries (4.67 YPC) he had in his first three games before last night, Master Yoda? Do those not count, or am I being too arbitrary?

:rolleyes:

Just looked at your chart and wow guess who's coming to dinner Thursday night. The 2nd worst run defense in the land.

I literally said that in the post you quoted. I'm not saying that we shouldn't run Ingram next week. I'm stating that we shouldn't go crazy because of one game against the worst run defense in the league.

But... But... But, you can't use his facts to prove your point! That's not fair! Find your own facts!

:hihi:

You're right. One night doesn't make a season. But what about the 159 yards on 34 carries (4.67 YPC) he had in his first three games before last night, Master Yoda? Do those not count, or am I being too arbitrary?

:rolleyes:

Well...he was injured, so we weren't using him. Obviously, if he keeps production up and stays healthy Payton will keep using him. He hasn't been able to accomplish those two things for any stretch so far in his career. Hopefully he's finally turned the corner. We'll see.

Or are you really arguing we should extend a player based on a sample size of 34 carries? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

As much as I am enjoying Ingram's success, he might just be in that strange position where it's highly unlikely that he is a Saint next year. $5 mil is right at top 5 RB money. Is Ingram a top 5 RB in the NFL? Funny question until you see who is currently listed in that price range: Foster, Spiller, Gore, S. Jackson, F. Jackson, Greene, Richardson, Matthews, Moreno, D. Williams, Powell (lulz?), Helu, Rodgers, Murray all make more than Ingram, along with the top guys Forte, Lynch, McCoy, & Peterson.

Remove AP, because he may never see the field again. IMHO, that puts Ingram right on the top 5 cusp. Which means $5 mil. Which the Saints already declined. Now maybe they knew what they had and were hoping for a perfect storm where they could keep MI for cheaper than market value. But he seems to be outplaying that.

All of that said, you generally don't get better by letting guys who are top 5(ish) at their position and in their prime walk for nothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom