Former NFL player Michael Oher claimed that he was never legally adopted (4 Viewers)

Why wouldn't you consider them millionaires. That's what most millionaires look like.
because they don't actually have that money in their bank/savings yet. if they decided to pull everything together to get cash right now, I'm not sure they'll have over $1M.
they are not fully retired. he retired at 58 (the plant he worked at does some kind of point system age + years of service) and was just drawing from pension or what ever until he reach 65. they both saved well outside of retirement. she got forced retired and they gave her 3 years salary to walk away from her job (not lump sum, drawing normal monthly salary). now when they fully retire they may be millionaires.. but they will have another (hopefully) 20+ years to live off of that.

because they don't actually have that money in their bank/savings yet. if they decided to pull everything together to get cash right now, I'm not sure they'll have over $1M.
they are not fully retired. he retired at 58 (the plant he worked at does some kind of point system age + years of service) and was just drawing from pension or what ever until he reach 65. they both saved well outside of retirement. she got forced retired and they gave her 3 years salary to walk away from her job (not lump sum, drawing normal monthly salary). now when they fully retire they may be millionaires.. but they will have another (hopefully) 20+ years to live off of that.
Well, as I said, I know quite a number of "quiet millionaires" who have gotten to where your in-laws are going. And they are quite content with what they have.

That said, I think know what you intended -- but although being a "technical" millionaire isn't what it used to be, it's still a buttload of money, and many of the people I know in that situation do NOT take what they have for granted or have the more-money envy you refer to. I have noticed though that where they came from is a great indicator of their keep-up-with-the-Jones mentality or, rather, lack thereof.

c’mon people- we’re talking about Millionaires vs millionaires
The fist are those whose identity is tied up in being a millionaire
The other are people who have more than 1M but you wouldn’t know it to look at them

It’s not a difficult concept

c’mon people- we’re talking about Millionaires vs millionaires
The fist are those whose identity is tied up in being a millionaire
The other are people who have more than 1M but you wouldn’t know it to look at them

It’s not a difficult concept
This is so true.

Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, the Memphis couple whose story of their relationship with Michael Oher was told in the film “The Blind Side,” claimed in court filings this week that Oher, who has accused them of shortchanging him of millions of dollars over decades, attempted to extort $15 million from them.

In the latest back-and-forth between the parties, documents filed Monday with the Shelby County Probate Court show that the Tuohys are seeking a denial of Oher’s motion for a temporary injunction that would prevent them from using his name, image and likeness. Their filing claims that his NIL, which would require him to be paid, is not used for commercial purposes, only in what is considered “fair use” of the retelling of the family’s story and that granting the injunction would violate their First Amendment rights.

Their filing quoted bits of texts and emails from the former Mississippi and NFL offensive lineman, including, according to the filing: “it was 10 million now I want 15 million after taxes.” They claim he threatened to talk with the press about his allegations, setting a deadline by which he said he was going to “tell the world how I was robbed.”

In arguing against Oher’s request for a temporary injunction, the Tuohys claimed that he is “a part of their personal and family story; it is not commercial speech in the form of an advertisement or solicitation. The protected speech in question is designed to encourage ordinary people to make a difference in the lives of people like Mr. Oher.”

The 37-year-old Oher, who played for three NFL teams before retiring in 2017, came to live with the Tuohys as a teen and his rise to a first-round draft pick by the Baltimore Ravens in 2009 was the topic of a 2006 book and 2009 movie. Lawyers for Oher and the Tuohys have not responded to a request for comment on the latest filing.

Around the time of his retirement from the NFL, the petition states, “perhaps because he was no longer making significant amount of money as a professional athlete, Mr. Oher became increasingly estranged from the Tuohys, believing incorrectly that they had not paid him the money he was owed.”...............

Sean and Leigh Anne Tuohy, the Memphis couple whose story of their relationship with Michael Oher was told in the film “The Blind Side,” claimed in court filings this week that Oher, who has accused them of shortchanging him of millions of dollars over decades, attempted to extort $15 million from them.

In the latest back-and-forth between the parties, documents filed Monday with the Shelby County Probate Court show that the Tuohys are seeking a denial of Oher’s motion for a temporary injunction that would prevent them from using his name, image and likeness. Their filing claims that his NIL, which would require him to be paid, is not used for commercial purposes, only in what is considered “fair use” of the retelling of the family’s story and that granting the injunction would violate their First Amendment rights.

Their filing quoted bits of texts and emails from the former Mississippi and NFL offensive lineman, including, according to the filing: “it was 10 million now I want 15 million after taxes.” They claim he threatened to talk with the press about his allegations, setting a deadline by which he said he was going to “tell the world how I was robbed.”

In arguing against Oher’s request for a temporary injunction, the Tuohys claimed that he is “a part of their personal and family story; it is not commercial speech in the form of an advertisement or solicitation. The protected speech in question is designed to encourage ordinary people to make a difference in the lives of people like Mr. Oher.”

The 37-year-old Oher, who played for three NFL teams before retiring in 2017, came to live with the Tuohys as a teen and his rise to a first-round draft pick by the Baltimore Ravens in 2009 was the topic of a 2006 book and 2009 movie. Lawyers for Oher and the Tuohys have not responded to a request for comment on the latest filing.

Around the time of his retirement from the NFL, the petition states, “perhaps because he was no longer making significant amount of money as a professional athlete, Mr. Oher became increasingly estranged from the Tuohys, believing incorrectly that they had not paid him the money he was owed.”...............

I think Michael's getting taken advantage of ... but it's not the Tuohys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom