Funny memes (10 Viewers)

"Living Wage" is a bullshirt, relative term much like when people talk about "fair share".

Should a living wage include the ability to buy a minimum home if one chooses to do so? Instead of throwing out vague, relative, and useless terms I am attempting to figure out what a living wage is. If you have no clue what a 'living wage' is supposed to mean, then how can we have a discussion about it?
To me, a living wage is the ability to be able to live comfortably, without having to depend on your next check to survive. Also not having to look for a second job to be able to afford rent and food and medical/medicine for said comfortable life. Is it really that difficult to see that the corporations are the true enemies of the people in this particular situation? I’m sorry to hear that the term.” a living wage.” it’s so vague to you. please don’t assume I don’t understand what it means, this is the main reason why I started my own business so I wouldn’t have to be under the phone with the corporate overlord, and have to worry about whether or not I’ll have a job next week.

"Living Wage" is a bullshirt, relative term much like when people talk about "fair share".

Should a living wage include the ability to buy a minimum home if one chooses to do so? Instead of throwing out vague, relative, and useless terms I am attempting to figure out what a living wage is. If you have no clue what a 'living wage' is supposed to mean, then how can we have a discussion about it?
Food, shelter and utilities. A 2bd/1bth apartment or home. Enough food every month and electricity/sewer/internet service for whatever area you're in. That's why we say 'living wage' rather than a set number. It's different depending on where you live.

It's different depending on where you live.

Agreed... It also depends on your family situation (Dependents)... Current Health... Potential future inheritance... lot's of things really... I think that was Dago's point. It's not something you can point to with a broad brush and say... Ah, that's it.

To me, a living wage is the ability to be able to live comfortably, without having to depend on your next check to survive. Also not having to look for a second job to be able to afford rent and food and medical/medicine for said comfortable life. Is it really that difficult to see that the corporations are the true enemies of the people in this particular situation? I’m sorry to hear that the term.” a living wage.” it’s so vague to you. please don’t assume I don’t understand what it means, this is the main reason why I started my own business so I wouldn’t have to be under the phone with the corporate overlord, and have to worry about whether or not I’ll have a job next week.
I asked a simple question that nobody but Taurus answered. My use of the number was due to a recent report that 4 years ago a $75,000 household income was enough to purchase a home in 36 states. Today, that number is 16

And if we pay $75,000 for unskilled labor that doesn't take physical effort, what should a construction worker make? What should an engineer make?

You can't just look at one aspect of this in a vacuum and ignore the dominoes that fall.

For the record, I definitely feel like major corporations could be doing more for their employees...I am not defending greedy CEOs.

I asked a simple question that nobody but Taurus answered. My use of the number was due to a recent report that 4 years ago a $75,000 household income was enough to purchase a home in 36 states. Today, that number is 16

And if we pay $75,000 for unskilled labor that doesn't take physical effort, what should a construction worker make? What should an engineer make?

You can't just look at one aspect of this in a vacuum and ignore the dominoes that fall.

For the record, I definitely feel like major corporations could be doing more for their employees...I am not defending greedy CEOs.

I had an independent math checker confirm.

Elon Musk has ~180 billion dollars. That is 100K per day for nearly 5000 years. IMO, only someone disturbingly evil is that greedy. I question those who would enable him too.

The simple question you asked was should a greeter be making $75,000 a year? Well I have yet to see a greeter that was a teenage or college student at the door. Normally when you get hired as a greeter for Walmart it’s a safe bet that you’re going to be a senior citizen, someone that has worked all their lives to save enough money to have a comfortable retirement, but unfortunately, due to whatever circumstances that senior citizen find themselves needing to subsidize their income. And for the most part that greeter also probably got hired on a part-time basis because heaven for bid Walmart pay $40 an hour for a greeter and then have to be stuck with benefits that take care of their health or paid vacation or whatever other benefits, you deserve when you were a 40 hour a week employee.

thats-a-fair-offer-v0-qozuav4eftyc1.jpeg

Agreed... It also depends on your family situation (Dependents)... Current Health... Potential future inheritance... lot's of things really... I think that was Dago's point. It's not something you can point to with a broad brush and say... Ah, that's it.
But it is. In a close-enough way.

Forget future inheritance, that's irrelevant to one's needs in the now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom