GAMEDAY THREAD -- Saints @ Falcons 9/29/24 (18 Viewers)

So the ineptitude of the offense don't count. The defense is not perfect, it's their fault.
It all counts, all of it. But as bad as the offense was ALLLLL game. They took the lead with literally a minute left. If I ask you before every game of the season, would you take a lead with a minute left in the fourth quarter, before you play a snap, an overwhelming amount of people would say YES!! Why? Because you'd hope your defense could get a stop.

For some reason, ours could not. I am NOT blaming the defense FOR the loss but not getting a stop when we needed it, at the very least is NOT complimentary football. And I am saying this knowing full well, without the defense playing they way it had ALLLLL game, we wouldn't have the lead. But I cannot excuse them totally for allowing that last drive.

C’mon Widge. Take the black and gold glasses off. The Saints aren’t a good team. Good teams find ways to win, and bad teams don’t. The Saints are average at best.

I didn't say they were a good team. They are a team with a very good defense and an offense that without McCoy is below average. So, they can't afford to make dumb mistakes like the ones that Shaheed and Carr made today. Of course that's true of most NFL teams. The Saints like most of the NFL are an average team that can't afford dumb mistakes or they lose. They are what their record says they are, a .500 team.

So, yes, relax, it's not all doom and gloom. This was always going to be a team that hovers around .500 with a couple breaks they could win 10 and with a couple things that go against them they could lose 9 or 10. So, if people expected this to be a 12 or 14 win team with a shot at the Super Bowl after the first 2 weeks, they needed to relax, and if people think this is a terrible football team that's can't possibly make the playoffs after the last two weeks then they need to relax too.

Agreed. Criticizing our repeated defensive failures at the end of games isn’t giving the Offense a pass.
Thats one way of looking at it.

The other way is if the defense didn’t play that well the Falcons wouldn’t have needed a game winning FG with 2 seconds left. They would have blown the saints out.

The secondary plays hard and fast for 4 quarters, and they were banged up, of course they’re tired and make mental mistakes late. If you don’t want the game in their hands then do better for the other 58 minutes.

And the only reason was the D kept on balling to cover for the offense's ineptitude.
They're a defensive team. That's usually how it goes. Just like how offensive teams are usually expected to carry their defenses. The offense was able to perform in situational football when they needed to get the lead. The defense has shown over and over that theu can't play situational football when it counts. It's been years of evidence.

Thats one way of looking at it.

The other way is if the defense didn’t play that well the Falcons wouldn’t have needed a game winning FG with 2 seconds left. They would have blown the saints out.

The secondary plays hard and fast for 4 quarters, and they were banged up, of course they’re tired and make mental mistakes late. If you don’t want the game in their hands then do better for the other 58 minutes.
No one is arguing the defense didn’t play great for 58 minutes. We would just like them to do their job for the last two minutes for once.

Also the playcalling at the goal line on the first drive was forking terrible. If they’d scored then it would have left more time on the clock to respond if Atlanta went down the field and scored too.

Instead they ended up in desperation mode after the defense bailed them out AGAIN.

Respectfully, people have got to stop with this nonsense. When a team constantly makes ridiculous mistakes, season after season, that is symptomatic of a poorly coached team.

Teams with bad head coaches will lose games they never should. It’s the the third year of it happening and about time people call it for what it is. New HC/QB pairing needed.

In the end, the HC is responsible for everything that happens and a team's final record. I've long been on the record as not thinking DAis the right coach for this team. That being said, it's only week 4 and they only lost this game because of two dumb mistakes that frankly are on the players, not the coaching. I'm sure Shaheed has been told not to field punts inside the 2 and I'm sure they have told Carr that sometime you just have to throw it away. And as far a Shaheed, he just dropped the ball. No amount of coaching changes that.

But, sure, in the end it all falls on DA, but we all knew this was going to be a really tough start to the season and we would have been happy with a 2-3 start given that the schedule gets easier. So, we will see at the end of the season if DA does a good enough job to keep his job.

It all counts, all of it. But as bad as the offense was ALLLLL game. They took the lead with literally a minute left. If I ask you before every game of the season, would you take a lead with a minute left in the fourth quarter, before you play a snap, an overwhelming amount of people would say YES!! Why? Because you'd hope your defense could get a stop.

For some reason, ours could not. I am NOT blaming the defense FOR the loss but not getting a stop when we needed it, at the very least is NOT complimentary football. And I am saying this knowing full well, without the defense playing they way it had ALLLLL game, we wouldn't have the lead. But I cannot excuse them totally for allowing that last drive.
So what if they took the lead with 1 min left. They should have been 2 scores up with 1 min left.

So what if they took the lead with 1 min left. They should have been 2 scores up with 1 min left.
Yet, they weren't. That's why defenses get on the field. Ask yourself this: With a minute left in the game, would you rather have your offense on the field to ice the game, or this defense on the field to ice the game?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom