Good analysis of Carr (2 Viewers)

I never been down on my saints like I have since we got Carr I was hopeful at first but now I’m just not a believer
When Elvis and Michael Jackson leave your talent room, the spotlight then falls on your back ups Peewee Herman and Carrot Top. It’s rare that greatness is replaced when greatness leaves.

When Elvis and Michael Jackson leave your talent room, the spotlight then falls on your back ups Peewee Herman and Carrot Top. It’s rare that greatness is replaced when greatness leaves.
That analogy falls on its face because these guys aren't backups and shouldn't be treated like backups. Carr is a "starter" and DA is supposedly a "HC".

The problem a lot of Saints fans have is that they diefied Drew Brees and prmoted him mentally to a plane higher than human...so no one in their eyes would ever satisfy their expectation of a God QB.

For the CSP -> Allen that comparison is more based on logic and what they eyes actually see...we saw leadership/accountability/motivation/fear w/ xCSP -> we don't see any of that under DA....and the proof is in the W/L column.

The problem a lot of Saints fans have is that they diefied Drew Brees and prmoted him mentally to a plane higher than human...so no one in their eyes would ever satisfy their expectation of a God QB.
hermancain-smile.gif

That analogy falls on its face because these guys aren't backups and shouldn't be treated like backups. Carr is a "starter" and DA is supposedly a "HC".

For the CSP -> Allen that comparison is more based on logic and what they eyes actually see...we saw leadership/accountability/motivation/fear w/ xCSP -> we don't see any of that under DA....and the proof is in the W/L column.
I was just going for the comic imagery. Come on! Carrot top and Peewee? Anyway, it was an exaggeration to clearly show we are NOT great anymore. I cant speak for everyone, but ill try. SP plus Drew Brees were great. I do not think we as fans have falsely deified them. A Superbowl win and an expected immediate entry into the HOF proves that. "we saw leadership/accountability/motivation/fear w/ xCSP" Those things in bold, are a byproduct (or an observable) of having achieved success. In 2006 we werent talking about how great of a leader SP was or how he motivates people. But once we achieved success for a few years then looked back, we used those words to explain it. For example, after Drew retired and we were clearly struggling with SP still as coach, we were'nt talking about "leadership/accountability etc etc" We were talking about the sky is falling instead. Just saying, cant we already say those nice things about DA and they way he runs his defense? But like you said, its all about W/L's.

I do feel we're close to achieving success/meeting expectations. DC4 is a starter but has weakneesses that the new system will fix. (I expect Dc4 to buy in completely)

A lot of us just watched Brees promote himself with his play on the field to the level of "one of the greatest QB's the sport has ever seen", and the only Saints QB to ever hoist the Lombardi. We also watched him be a great ambassador for the franchise and a generally fantastic human being off the field.

So yeah...that's going to be tough for any Saints QB present or future to live up to. I've accepted that we'll probably never see an equal or better QB line up under center for the Black & Gold...and that's OK.

A lot of us just watched Brees promote himself with his play on the field to the level of "one of the greatest QB's the sport has ever seen", and the only Saints QB to ever hoist the Lombardi. We also watched him be a great ambassador for the franchise and a generally fantastic human being off the field.

So yeah...that's going to be tough for any Saints QB present or future to live up to. I've accepted that we'll probably never see an equal or better QB line up under center for the Black & Gold...and that's OK.
I agree, just give the man his flowers and lets move on.

I do not think we as fans have falsely deified them.
The "Deification of Drew" is something that I wrote about in 2022 and some of us most certainly have that view point.
I know exactly what he did in 2006 but many here have this unrealistic view of who Brees was. We made him this mythical figure who has never lost us game with bad play, never threw horrible interceptions, and always put the ball at the right spot. None of these are true but you better believe he was one of the greatest to ever play the position. The "deification" of Brees has turned this fanbase into one of the WORST at evaluating QB play, especially when plays don't show on ESPN.
I still stand by us sucking at QB evaluation because we are so busy looking for the next Drew instead of seeing these players for who they are. Drew gave us 15 awesome seasons but Drew is Drew. We can't see what others actually bring to the table and their actual skill because of our silent mantra, WWDD. LOL

For example, after Drew retired and we were clearly struggling with SP still as coach, we were'nt talking about "leadership/accountability etc etc" We were talking about the sky is falling instead.
Truth be told, this goes back to how we are actually watching the game. The "sky is falling" didn't really start until the Siemian starts and then AK got hurt. What folks don't realize is after Drew retired, the mantle of starter went to Winston (this we know), and through 6 games, he was top 10 in nearly every stat and metric assigned to a QB with a group of starting WRs that can barely crack a 53 team roster today. We would be hard pressed to find someone equal or better than Drew considering that came with 20 years of experience.

The "Deification of Drew" is something that I wrote about in 2022 and some of us most certainly have that view point.

I still stand by us sucking at QB evaluation because we are so busy looking for the next Drew instead of seeing these players for who they are. Drew gave us 15 awesome seasons but Drew is Drew. We can't see what others actually bring to the table and their actual skill because of our silent mantra, WWDD. LOL

Truth be told, this goes back to how we are actually watching the game. The "sky is falling" didn't really start until the Siemian starts and then AK got hurt. What folks don't realize is after Drew retired, the mantle of starter went to Winston (this we know), and through 6 games, he was top 10 in nearly every stat and metric assigned to a QB with a group of starting WRs that can barely crack a 53 team roster today. We would be hard pressed to find someone equal or better than Drew considering that came with 20 years of experience.
Interesting points in a few recent posts. Because y’all are right, we will never have another Drew. Montana and Farve were the fairly rare exceptions that followed greatness and saw success. But neither played a lot like their predecessors. We have to give our current QBs a chance under this new system before a true evaluation, because last year our QB was being forced into trying to be another Drew in the same system, and that’s who it is. … I do believe between DC and other purely raw talent in the room, we very well could have a decent QB already here. … Only time will tell

Lol man I’m just being honest we will see but this is the first time in my life I feel meh about the team and the future we will see
You are fortunate then. I was an adult before I could truly believe. But I have always been a supportive and faithful believer back to the late 60s and especially the early 70s moving forward 🤷🏻‍♂️

Interesting points in a few recent posts. Because y’all are right, we will never have another Drew. Montana and Farve were the fairly rare exceptions that followed greatness and saw success. But neither played a lot like their predecessors. We have to give our current QBs a chance under this new system before a true evaluation, because last year our QB was being forced into trying to be another Drew in the same system, and that’s who it is. … I do believe between DC and other purely raw talent in the room, we very well could have a decent QB already here. … Only time will tell
I think the staff actually thought that DC4 could fill in for Brees, and not miss too many beats. Once they got Carr they failed like the rest of us, seeing that Carr can be great. But he can also be mediocre by not becoming complacent. Drew was never complacent. So they missed on Carr in this aspect. However, they made the appropriate changes. Changes that I agree with. As a matter of fact, I can’t complain with any of the FO moves to address their issues. They’ve done that well. They missed on some moves, but their heads were in the right place. It wouldn’t be fair of me to judge them with the benefit of hindsight. (To be clear, at the time I agreed with their moves.).

Last edited:

“ still stand by us sucking at QB evaluation because we are so busy looking for the next Drew instead of seeing these players for who they are. Drew gave us 15 awesome seasons but Drew is Drew. We can't see what others actually bring to the table and their actual skill because of our silent mantra, WWDD. LOL”

I think a Drew clone was the only QB type that PC could potentially develop. When they realized we didnt have a Drew clone on the team, it made PC expendable. You have to understand this. If we didn’t have a Drew clone, we were failing. Period. For this reason: Pc’s only QB he’s ever seen was Drew Brees. It’s not like he’s been on 12 different teams each with a different offense. He wasn’t developing anyone that wasn’t a Drew clone. Their actions led me to these conclusions, not my thoughts. I like that they aggressively made wholesale offensive changes. It took courage and a will to win. So as a fan, I honestly think, that we can rest assured that the FO will continue to make the necessary changes until they find the winning formula again.

Last edited:
You are fortunate then. I was an adult before I could truly believe. But I have always been a supportive and faithful believer back to the late 60s and especially the early 70s moving forward 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah I was born In 94 didn’t get into the saints until Aaron brooks before that I was infatuated with teams that had great offenses or players

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom