Good analysis of Carr (1 Viewer)

This was something that I made mention of when he first signed. One of Carr's weaknesses is throwing with timing and anticipation and a part of his intermediate throw issues is due to his horrible footwork but honestly, in today's NFL, that is not limited to Carr in the least. That's why the "modern offense" requires less skill from a QB and just require them to be "accurate."

I agree with you 100% in the fact that Carr needs "static" routes and this is one of the key reasons why he struggled with Josh McDaniels. If anyone knows anything about that offense, it is E-P to the core. Each side has a route concept to beat a defense, the QB must read correctly both pre-snap and post-snap, with options and choice routes built into a lot of plays. Looking at the Vikings during Kubiak's season there, I think Carr will do good in the system but it's all about how he picks it up.
Typical couch fan ngl…

I have no idea how good he is. For the first 11 games you could tell what they were likely to run by who was on the field. Our offense looked putrid. Watching them was stomach turning. Certain receivers were out it was going to be a run. And their passing scheme was simplistic at best. This year every play is supposed to be disguised, so maybe he will be better.

I know he can make all the throws and has a good touch on the ball but he often opts for the safest option and checks down a lot more than he should. He really seems to hate throwing routes where he can't lead a receiver to the sideline; he seems to have a huge fear of being picked off or sacked and he has taught himself to check down to avoid it. This leads to a lot of garbagy looking plays.

As the article says, with protection he is pretty good,which I think is what we all know.

If he can reproduce the final 6 games of last season for most of the 17 games this year, the Saints will suprise some people.

Typical couch fan ngl…
Also couch fans....

Plus, it's crazy that nearly everything I stated about Carr coming in turned out to be true as the season progressed. He has his strengths and weaknesses but very few actually addressed them. Fact that you didn't know what 10 years of tape (plus pre-draft evaluation) has shown about him speaks less about me being the one that's a couch fan....ngl.

Last edited:
This was something that I made mention of when he first signed. One of Carr's weaknesses is throwing with timing and anticipation and a part of his intermediate throw issues is due to his horrible footwork but honestly, in today's NFL, that is not limited to Carr in the least. That's why the "modern offense" requires less skill from a QB and just require them to be "accurate."

I agree with you 100% in the fact that Carr needs "static" routes and this is one of the key reasons why he struggled with Josh McDaniels. If anyone knows anything about that offense, it is E-P to the core. Each side has a route concept to beat a defense, the QB must read correctly both pre-snap and post-snap, with options and choice routes built into a lot of plays. Looking at the Vikings during Kubiak's season there, I think Carr will do good in the system but it's all about how he picks it up.
Just thinking about Carr vs Drew, the first obvious metric was depth of target. Carr being a dink and dunker and a check down artist compared to Drew stretching the field constantly and scoring early and often. I thought id find a huge disparity between their career depth of targets. Drew only edged Carr at 7.9 compared to 7.6 for Carr. Accuracy career: Drew 67.6 Carr 65%. What am i missing?

Just thinking about Carr vs Drew, the first obvious metric was depth of target. Carr being a dink and dunker and a check down artist compared to Drew stretching the field constantly and scoring early and often. I thought id find a huge disparity between their career depth of targets. Drew only edged Carr at 7.9 compared to 7.6 for Carr. Accuracy career: Drew 67.6 Carr 65%. What am i missing?
Drew's last 4 years drug that number down

Also couch fans....

Plus, it's crazy that nearly everything I stated about Carr coming in turned out to be true as the season progressed. He has his strengths and weaknesses but very few actually addressed them. Fact that you didn't know what 10 years of tape (plus pre-draft evaluation) has shown about him speaks less about me being the one that's a couch fan....ngl.

Drew's last 4 years drug that number down
No, i figured it out. Bottom line, who cares about stats. Stats tell nothing about whats between the ears. Ie Mindset, Jahsoul posted a great breakdown from Kurt Warner. The first half, im like you see, hes a quality Qb. But the second half of that vid illuminates the truth. The truth I dismissed from other players taking shots at him. Shot taken were like, he gets rattled too easy. He leaves plays on the field. Drews aggression per play would rank 95%. Where Carrs would rank 50%. And there's your difference. Carrs emotional state becomes a weakness. How do you lift up a player that slumps emotionally? EZ, hire someone like John Gruden (no im not saying we should, its too late anyway) A guy like Gruden, (superioir mans man motivator/ Qb whisperer) was able to keep Carrs head in the game and confident. Sean did the same with Drew, they were two heads in one if you will. DA or sweet Pete, wasnt that guy. Going forward, lets hope Kubiak realizes this about DC. I'd love to talk to Klint and say, hey you keep Dereks confident and angry, we win. I think we Saints fans intuitively like Rattler because he's got the demeanor. (or at least seems to) We'll see how he handles pressure and competes after a loss. But he does seem to have gamers demeanor.

Last edited:
No, i figured it out. Bottom line, who cares about stats. Stats tell nothing about whats between the ears. Ie Mindset, Jahsoul posted a great breakdown from Kurt Warner. The first half, im like you see, hes a quality Qb. But the second half of that vid illuminates the truth. The truth I dismissed from other players taking shots at him. Shot taken were like, he gets rattled too easy. He leaves plays on the field. Drews aggression per play would rank 95%. Where Carrs would rank 50%. And there's your difference. Carrs emotional state becomes a weakness. How do you lift up a player that slumps emotionally? EZ, hire someone like John Gruden (no im not saying we should, its too late anyway) A guy like Gruden, (superioir mans man motivator/ Qb whisperer) was able to keep Carrs head in the game and confident. Sean did the same with Drew, they were two heads in one if you will. DA or sweet Pete, wasnt that guy. Going forward, lets hope Kubiak realizes this about DC. I'd love to talk to Klint and say, hey you keep Dereks confident and angry, we win.
Honestly, folks thought I was just hating on Carr when I was pointing out certain weaknesses but I only did that to show that he was not going to be the one to fix the issues that we had in 2022. We saw his completion percentage and passer rating and ignored everything that charted production. Here is the thing about Gruden; this is when Carr gained a reputation as an "empty calorie" QB and I think it took years for it to "click" for him. I always thought that Musgrave was better for Carr, as he played around his weaknesses. I hope Kubiak really observes Carr and build well...

I really think this year is a bit of a "prove it" year for Carr. He had a bad first half of the season in 23 but I certainly wouldn't put it all on him. The OC and OLine were much bigger problems. Still, he did much better in the final few games - but too late to make a difference. His sideline "attitude" looked bad to fans but who can really say how that played out in the locker room. That also seemed to improve.

All said, though, he's got to show he can lead the team to the playoffs and, hopefully, do something when there. The biggest problems from 93 seem to have improved, but that doesn't count until the regular season. This is a league where a mediocre quarterback can occasionally win it all, but more often it takes a truly elite QB to do that. The way the league is today, I think the 2nd tier and lower QBs will continue to be shuffled around until a team hits the jackpot with a Mahomes or Burrow. That's a rare thing, though, but fans don't suffer mediocrity for too long.

So... Do I think Carr can rise to a higher level - probably not. Does he have a Nick Foles like year in him - maybe. Is he the long term solution at QB for the Saints - I really, really doubt it. But for now, he's the guy. Here's hoping he has some good to great years over the next few. Barring that, here's hoping that either Rattler "gets it" or Haener becomes Brock Purdy 2.0.

No, i figured it out. Bottom line, who cares about stats. Stats tell nothing about whats between the ears. Ie Mindset, Jahsoul posted a great breakdown from Kurt Warner. The first half, im like you see, hes a quality Qb. But the second half of that vid illuminates the truth. The truth I dismissed from other players taking shots at him. Shot taken were like, he gets rattled too easy. He leaves plays on the field. Drews aggression per play would rank 95%. Where Carrs would rank 50%. And there's your difference. Carrs emotional state becomes a weakness. How do you lift up a player that slumps emotionally? EZ, hire someone like John Gruden (no im not saying we should, its too late anyway) A guy like Gruden, (superioir mans man motivator/ Qb whisperer) was able to keep Carrs head in the game and confident. Sean did the same with Drew, they were two heads in one if you will. DA or sweet Pete, wasnt that guy. Going forward, lets hope Kubiak realizes this about DC. I'd love to talk to Klint and say, hey you keep Dereks confident and angry, we win. I think we Saints fans intuitively like Rattler because he's got the demeanor. (or at least seems to) We'll see how he handles pressure and competes after a loss. But he does seem to have gamers demeanor.
Don't disagre with the assessment, which is why during mid-season when there was blame being passed around via receiver/Carr, DA refused to hold him accountable and only danced around it. I've been saying all along, Allen may have more insight on Derek's psyche and how to handle him.

I think the easiest solution is Carr is a QB who should support the running game. Not the run game supports him, no the run game should be the meat and potatoes and Carr should just be there to make little plays here and there. He's not going to put the team on his back game to game but as Cosell pointed out he's got an arm talent and can make some throws if kept clean.

Saints did what they were supposed to do, signed an offensive coach w/ a system that complements him, and draft a QB like Rattler to go along with Haener. Develop the Qb's and hope this system maximizes Carr's talent and see where things go in 1-2 years. I think Brandshaw said it best last year, and I was hoping I was wrong but he called it when he said "Carr is not the future of the Saints" and while i'm hoping he'll have a great year I don't think he is.

Honestly, folks thought I was just hating on Carr when I was pointing out certain weaknesses but I only did that to show that he was not going to be the one to fix the issues that we had in 2022. We saw his completion percentage and passer rating and ignored everything that charted production. Here is the thing about Gruden; this is when Carr gained a reputation as an "empty calorie" QB and I think it took years for it to "click" for him. I always thought that Musgrave was better for Carr, as he played around his weaknesses. I hope Kubiak really observes Carr and build well...
Carr does his best when he's motivated, he's a second half QB and a second half of a season, QB. Its why he's an enigma because we only look at the end of a game or the end of a season to judge him. For the record, he's not purposely throwing for empty calories to dupe everyone. He just doesn't know that he lacks that killer instinct (high intense focus) game in and game out. He's ALOOF, (i love the guy) but hes ALOOOOF. (we see it in interviews) Aloof means, has trouble focusing all the time. (for that matter im aloof) But anyway, someone needs to be in his headset every play to make sure he's not mentally checking out, ie getting bored. Classic ADHD. Yea i said it, ADHD. 1/2 kidding. Anway, I want to say Klints scheme will fix Carr. But i'm not sure. Will Carr think the offense is too pedantic and get bored and frustrated? Or will he embrace it? I think it will depend on if Carr truly believes in it. I think he's a good QB, he's tough, his teamates love him, can make all the throws, but he's lacking that elite focus that Drew and the other greats have to put him into the upper tier of QB's.

Don't disagre with the assessment, which is why during mid-season when there was blame being passed around via receiver/Carr, DA refused to hold him accountable and only danced around it. I've been saying all along, Allen may have more insight on Derek's psyche and how to handle him.

I think the easiest solution is Carr is a QB who should support the running game. Not the run game supports him, no the run game should be the meat and potatoes and Carr should just be there to make little plays here and there. He's not going to put the team on his back game to game but as Cosell pointed out he's got an arm talent and can make some throws if kept clean.

Saints did what they were supposed to do, signed an offensive coach w/ a system that complements him, and draft a QB like Rattler to go along with Haener. Develop the Qb's and hope this system maximizes Carr's talent and see where things go in 1-2 years. I think Brandshaw said it best last year, and I was hoping I was wrong but he called it when he said "Carr is not the future of the Saints" and while i'm hoping he'll have a great year I don't think he is.
I absolutely think you've hit the nail on the head regarding DA going out of his way to defend Carr. "Saints did what they were supposed to do, signed an offensive coach w/ a system that complements him" I think the biggest question will be if the new system challenges him or frustrates him, because of its methodical nature. If this were a brand new system I think it would frustrate him. But since it isn't and shows to be the most successful system, I think Carr would have to re-access to himself what is boring and what isnt boring. For this reason alone, I think Carr would embrace the new system. But its very possible if the O-line struggles and we cant run the ball early and often, that it'll eventually frustrate him. But even so, Carr wont be able to blame it on the system, like i think what happened w/ PC and McDaniels. (to be honest im not exaclty sure what went wrong under MCD) But it didnt work and it became the scapeegoat nonetheless. Greg Cosell is correct and I think Carr knows as well, that this is his last chance for NFL success.

Carr is a perennial "14-16th best QB". His QBR in the last 5 years is 10, 11, 14, 14, and 16th in 2023. Baseball has the "Mendoza Line". Football has the "Dalton Line". It's the QB who is just good enough statistically and can get you to the playoffs intermittently, but can't win a playoff game. It's the QB just above replacement but below what you really want. Arguably, Carr is even below this line as Dalton has a career win record of 86-82-2 with 4 playoff losses to Carr's 72-88 with 1 playoff loss.

Drew was excellent at the dink and dunking remember we did alot of extended hand offs that were passes. If it was 3rd and 3 drew was excellent at getting the ball over the sticks. We took big shots but if ungo back most of the game was getting playmaker in space picking up 5 yards here 7 yards there etc. When teams cut off our short passing games and force brees to constantly throw deep for 4 qtrs we was in trouble cuz our def was not stopping anyone or we was behind vr early cuz tirnovers

Drew was excellent at the dink and dunking remember we did alot of extended hand offs that were passes. If it was 3rd and 3 drew was excellent at getting the ball over the sticks. We took big shots but if ungo back most of the game was getting playmaker in space picking up 5 yards here 7 yards there etc. When teams cut off our short passing games and force brees to constantly throw deep for 4 qtrs we was in trouble cuz our def was not stopping anyone or we was behind vr early cuz tirnovers
Drew really didn't become a dink and dunker until his body started turning on him. When you look at a lot of those plays, you would see them going to RBs, because they were the dump off when downfield was covered. That's why they had so much space underneath. Not saying we didn't have designed short plays, because we most definitely did but if you look at Colstons ADOT compared to CGM, you can see the difference. Also, a lot of Drew's interceptions were all over the field. I remember that 5 interception game against the Falcons; I think he threw an interception every way possible. lol

But truth is, Drew threw interceptions because he was a gun slinger, but gun slinging always kept up in games more often than not. I missed gun slinging Drew.. :cry:

I never been down on my saints like I have since we got Carr I was hopeful at first but now I’m just not a believer

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom