Happy Easter! What happens when we die?? (1 Viewer)

What happens when we die?

• Our soul goes to heaven/hell for eternity

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • We are reborn according to merit accrued in this life

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • We are energy, birth and death are illusions

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Nothing, we just wink out--the end

Votes: 41 38.7%

• Total voters

saintmdterps

Falling feels like flying til you hit the ground.
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, on the anniversary of the Christian celebration of Christ's resurrection from the dead, what happens to all of us?

I am of the Buddhist perspective that we are reborn into a higher or lower realm based on the merit accrued in our current life. The goal being to achieve Enlightenment in this life, or the next, or 100 lives from now. Enlightenment being the extinction of Samsara/Karma, or the accrual of merit and the cycle of death and rebirth.

What do you all think? After all death, or the end of these physical bodies, is the one experience which will be common to us all.

Please remember to be respectful of all opinions

Thats too deep....... go grab a beer and enjoy the life you KNOW exists....
I try to live life in the present moment, that is not to say for only the present. As you say, it's about enjoying whatever life has to offer right now, and trying to see things for what they are. For good things and bad, this too shall pass.

Had several cold ones last night, the last of the Sam Adams Winter Lager!!

As I get older however, I do find myself thinking more often of what lay beyond the Here and Now. In this inconcievably large universe, I do believe there's room for everyone to be correct:sun_smiley:

Last edited:
The "we are energy" one is the closest to my guess.

I'm pretty sure there is something else on the other side. I'm just not sure what it is.

We die and come back as colored eggs. Then the Easter Bunny hides us so children can search for us before peeling away our shells and consuming us, releasing our spirits. It's a complex process also referred to as "flatulence". Some of our souls can be quite loud and stinky, depending on how much we sinned.

Hopefully the Easter Bunny doesn't hide you too well...

As I get older however, I do find myself thinking more often of what lay beyond the Here and Now. In this inconcievably large universe, I do believe there's room for everyone to be correct:sun_smiley:

I am with you there. You sometimes poder how many more Christmas' that you will see or how many more spring times. Sometimes I'll plant a tree and wonder who will see it.

Clear thinking my situation is who will get my stuff?

The old Doc told me that I was a 45 record being spun on 78.. Most of the kids won;t understand that but I do...

So I am thinking about changes.. Drinking, smoking, etc... and I really, really want to change my frame of mind... From the worry of how to survive into the future, econmically and all, and live more for today...

The People of New Orleans have a word for it... I can;t remember what it is, but the joy of just life itself... I was going to make a post and ask what it was, But it is a frame of mind.

I work too hard for tomorrow and seem to miss today...

Let me tell you a story, and I'll be quick...

I was DJ'ing a club in DFW... Andrus and the guys got together and was going to have a golf game in Lafayette with a bunch of other members and I was invited. Well in my mibnd I needed to make the money... And the Club needed me as a DJ, I couldn;t let them down... ABout a week after the Golf game the damned club let me go for some rediculous reason....

So that will always be a something that I missed in life and something that would have exceded the boundries of the money issues that face us daily....

Joe

first, I gotta say I'm surprised at the poll results, Judeo-Christian perspective and atheistic/existential neck and neck.

Joe, I'm with you. Life is a constant balancing of priorities which seems to shift as we age. I'm just not always sure it shifts for the better if we're not careful.

I try to balance work, health, family and personal needs (such as the annual trip to New Orleans with Saintfanatik). I came to the conclusion long ago that it would never be said of me "He worked himself into the grave." Add to that the fact none of my patients have ever confided in me, "I wish I had spent more time at the office."

For me, my spiritual life has been one of unfoldment for the last 5 years or so. Began raised as Catholic, went to CCD, got confirmed, etc. but never found a sense of fulfillment in the church. I have attended Methodist, Baptist, Nazarene, Wesleyan, and Episcopal churches and always felt like an outsider looking in. I am now very involved in our local Unitarian church and there have found a sense of spiritual purpose. That it's ok to not know, that the Journey is in many ways IMHO, more important than the Goal.

We die and come back as colored eggs. Then the Easter Bunny hides us so children can search for us before peeling away our shells and consuming us, releasing our spirits. It's a complex process also referred to as "flatulence". Some of our souls can be quite loud and stinky, depending on how much we sinned.

Hopefully the Easter Bunny doesn't hide you too well...

that's hilarious.

there should definitely be an "i don't know yet" answer here.

that's hilarious.

there should definitely be an "i don't know yet" answer here.
That would have made it too easy, but "coming back as an Easter egg" could've been an option!!

I'm still working on the answer for myself, let alone advise anyone else what he/she should think. Like I said, I think there's room in this Universe for us all to be right!!

I grew up Lutheran, going to church regularly while I still lived at home since my parents are very religious. When I moved away, at first for school, to get married I didn't get to church very often.

Almost 15 years ago I was told that I had stage 2 cancer and I had 50/50 chance of surviving 3 years. At the time I had just turned 30 and I felt invincible. I didn't even feel sick since the cancer was discovered during what was supposed to be a totally routine non urgent procedure. To make a long story short about a very tough year with surgeries and chemo, I pulled through and became one of the lucky ones.

Then a few years later I almost lost my husband, when he contracted an acute infection of the membrane that surrounds the heart, and spend 3 month in hospital. But he managed to survive the infection without any serious permanent damage,

During the process I found God again. Not quite the god of my childhood but a deep and personal religious belief. Until this day I still believe someone was watching out for us.

But because of all this we both try to live our life to the fullest each day. Try to remember the little things that is important and take time to fullfill some of our dreams like hangliding, swimming with sharks, climbing a mountain, or going to a concert with your favorite singer, or a football game with your favorite team. You never know what the day will bring, you can only try to do the best you can and put your faith in God as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom