Happy Easter! What happens when we die?? (1 Viewer)

What happens when we die?

• Our soul goes to heaven/hell for eternity

Votes: 49 46.2%
  • We are reborn according to merit accrued in this life

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • We are energy, birth and death are illusions

Votes: 12 11.3%
  • Nothing, we just wink out--the end

Votes: 41 38.7%

• Total voters
I grew up Lutheran, going to church regularly while I still lived at home since my parents are very religious. When I moved away, at first for school, to get married I didn't get to church very often.

Almost 15 years ago I was told that I had stage 2 cancer and I had 50/50 chance of surviving 3 years. At the time I had just turned 30 and I felt invincible. I didn't even feel sick since the cancer was discovered during what was supposed to be a totally routine non urgent procedure. To make a long story short about a very tough year with surgeries and chemo, I pulled through and became one of the lucky ones.

Then a few years later I almost lost my husband, when he contracted an acute infection of the membrane that surrounds the heart, and spend 3 month in hospital. But he managed to survive the infection without any serious permanent damage,

During the process I found God again. Not quite the god of my childhood but a deep and personal religious belief. Until this day I still believe someone was watching out for us.

But because of all this we both try to live our life to the fullest each day. Try to remember the little things that is important and take time to fullfill some of our dreams like hangliding, swimming with sharks, climbing a mountain, or going to a concert with your favorite singer, or a football game with your favorite team. You never know what the day will bring, you can only try to do the best you can and put your faith in God as well.

You and I are almost the same age and have had some similar traumatic life experiences, but doesn't almost everyone eventually?

You appear to have the kind of Faith that is inspirational and experiential as oposed to dogmatic. Likely we see slightly different aspects of the same immanent God.

If you don't believe in Jesus Christ, you go to hell.
No gray area there, eh saintned?

I can't even comprehend hell. It was the first thing I broke with when I began to question my catholic upbringing. If it fits in your scheme, go for it. It just doesn't work for me. However, we all create our own reality here on earth via our thoughts, so why not in an afterlife as well?

I cannot understand why an all-knowing, all-loving God would condemn His/Her own creations to hell. IMHO, man does a perfectly good job of creating hell, God never had to lift a finger.

Well, sometimes I wonder. I was brought up Catholic, and for the most part, I'd like to believe there's a Heaven, but lately, I've sort of waivered from my faith. I blame it on the Liberales at LSU :mad:

Well, sometimes I wonder. I was brought up Catholic, and for the most part, I'd like to believe there's a Heaven, but lately, I've sort of waivered from my faith. I blame it on the Liberales at LSU :mad:
It seems most people go through a questioning phase at one time or another.

In your case, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the liberales, and everything to do with Bush:ezbill:

The "we are energy" one is the closest to my guess.

I'm pretty sure there is something else on the other side. I'm just not sure what it is.
Good agnostic take.

I wonder if I should have added an "I don't care," option?

The poll will only allow four options, but what if in reality, the number of options is limitless? SR has now taken the unique stance of limiting the afterlife to FOUR options!! Thanks guys!!:ezbill:

It seems most people go through a questioning phase at one time or another.

In your case, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the liberales, and everything to do with Bush:ezbill:
I've been questioning everything lately. Life isn't easy, that's for sure.

And you're right it is Bush's fault that the Liberales have been able to brainwash me. 4 more years!!!!:1zhelp:

I am with you there. You sometimes poder how many more Christmas' that you will see or how many more spring times. Sometimes I'll plant a tree and wonder who will see it.

Clear thinking my situation is who will get my stuff?

The old Doc told me that I was a 45 record being spun on 78.. Most of the kids won;t understand that but I do...

So I am thinking about changes.. Drinking, smoking, etc... and I really, really want to change my frame of mind... From the worry of how to survive into the future, econmically and all, and live more for today...

The People of New Orleans have a word for it... I can;t remember what it is, but the joy of just life itself... I was going to make a post and ask what it was, But it is a frame of mind.

I work too hard for tomorrow and seem to miss today...

Let me tell you a story, and I'll be quick...

I was DJ'ing a club in DFW... Andrus and the guys got together and was going to have a golf game in Lafayette with a bunch of other members and I was invited. Well in my mibnd I needed to make the money... And the Club needed me as a DJ, I couldn;t let them down... ABout a week after the Golf game the damned club let me go for some rediculous reason....

So that will always be a something that I missed in life and something that would have exceded the boundries of the money issues that face us daily....

Joe

I agree Joe. I really in all honesty don't have a clue what happens when we die. I do know my dad died on a Friday night after getting off work never enjoying a retirement. Makes no sense to me. I don't count on great things in an afterlife, don't really think there is one. If a chicken doesn't get heaven, then why as a creature on this earth do I deserve any better? So I just decided I would live my life and enjoy it. That is just me. Everyone has their belief, and that is mine.

I agree Joe. I really in all honesty don't have a clue what happens when we die. I do know my dad died on a Friday night after getting off work never enjoying a retirement. Makes no sense to me. I don't count on great things in an afterlife, don't really think there is one. If a chicken doesn't get heaven, then why as a creature on this earth do I deserve any better? So I just decided I would live my life and enjoy it. That is just me. Everyone has their belief, and that is mine.
Dave
My dad died the same way. 59 years old of lung cancer. he was always concerned he wouldn't get to enjoy his retirement, and he didn't. In my dad's case, however, it was due to lifestyle choices. Dad was a 40-year 2-3 pack a day smoker who considered himself immortal. Turned out that wasn't the case. Regardless, I miss him still.

I just try to take each day in its turn, for better or worse, and try not to cling to anything. I do believe our afterlife (or next life) is strongly determined by the choices we make here, though I do not believe in heaven or hell.

ECCLESIASTES 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear GOD and keep his commandments : for that is the whole duty of Man.

So, on the anniversary of the Christian celebration of Christ's resurrection from the dead, what happens to all of us?

I am of the Buddhist perspective that we are reborn into a higher or lower realm based on the merit accrued in our current life. The goal being to achieve Enlightenment in this life, or the next, or 100 lives from now. Enlightenment being the extinction of Samsara/Karma, or the accrual of merit and the cycle of death and rebirth.

What do you all think? After all death, or the end of these physical bodies, is the one experience which will be common to us all.

Please remember to be respectful of all opinions

This one is easy. After we die, we get put into a tomb which is then covered by a large boulder. BTW, said boulder is not mobile with the strength of one man. We decompose for a day and a half, then on Sunday we miraclously become reanimated and continue our lives as if nothing happened.

BTW, THIS IS JUST A JOKE, SO PLEASE DON'T JUMP ALL OVER MY CASE.

Problem solved. :hihi:

Where is the "due to lack of evidence, and my lack of presumption, I don't claim to know the answer" option?
I could've put in a "Don't know/don't care" option, but that's the easy way out. It's all pure speculation IMHO, and best guess is as good as anything. Again, IMHO, since reality is purely subjective why not the afterlife?

When you die, you go to Judgement City. There officials will look at several days of your life to see if you've progressed. It seems we humans are consumed by fear.
In the hereafter, you go through a briefing to see if you have evolved and faced your fears. If not, they send you back in another form to learn from your mistakes in another life.

You keep doing this until you have totally conqured your fears and you then move on to another plateau. Unfortunatley, if you don't progress after numerous attempts, they simply throw you away. LOL!

I could keep going, but you know where this originated!

st. dave

When you die, you go to Judgement City. There officials will look at several days of your life to see if you've progressed. It seems we humans are consumed by fear.
In the hereafter, you go through a briefing to see if you have evolved and faced your fears. If not, they send you back in another form to learn from your mistakes in another life.

You keep doing this until you have totally conqured your fears and you then move on to another plateau. Unfortunatley, if you don't progress after numerous attempts, they simply throw you away. LOL!

I could keep going, but you know where this originated!

st. dave
Is this like the life of Beavis?:ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom