Has anyone ever worked in Australia! (1 Viewer)

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I’m in the process of applying for jobs, strongly considering several options in New South Wales.

I worked in Woomera, South Australia 74-76. Imagine getting dropped off in the middle of the Texas panhandle with nothing but brush n tumbleweed. Woomera was an oasis in the middle of all that, built as a rocket test range for multinational participants. I had no part of that since the AF had a satellite tracking station downrange. All the service staff were aussies from surrounding towns. Adelaide was 5 hours by car so I spent most of my 5 days off there on Glenelg beach town. Great (real) beer and wines. We ate good and them aussies know how to have a great time. Went to Sydney for a week, planned to take the train up the Gold Coast but my buddy and I met a couple Sheilas in Kings Cross the first night living in their own flat (apt)...don't remember much else...but I doubt you would regret moving to NSW for a couple years...

apply for a work visa asap. the process can be lengthy if not immediately sponsored. that was the suggestion from mommie dearest.

Just no excursions to White Island. ( off NZ eastern shore )

I mean, I worked in Australia for a couple of weeks circa 13 or 14 yrs ago.. So technically Yes…. Spent time in Sydney and Melbourne, unfortunately didn’t have enough downtime to visit any beaches… The only things id say about Australia generally is that it’s a LONG way to fly (in my case, 24 to 27 hrs each way w/layovers) to visit a place that is not that much different from the USA.. and even MORE expensive than USA… IMO if you’re gonna spend that amount of time flying and cramped in a little airline seat - i would go places that are radically different than home and where your money stretches way, way further than it does in America.. but that’s just me .

I worked in Woomera, South Australia 74-76. Imagine getting dropped off in the middle of the Texas panhandle with nothing but brush n tumbleweed. Woomera was an oasis in the middle of all that, built as a rocket test range for multinational participants. I had no part of that since the AF had a satellite tracking station downrange. All the service staff were aussies from surrounding towns. Adelaide was 5 hours by car so I spent most of my 5 days off there on Glenelg beach town. Great (real) beer and wines. We ate good and them aussies know how to have a great time. Went to Sydney for a week, planned to take the train up the Gold Coast but my buddy and I met a couple Sheilas in Kings Cross the first night living in their own flat (apt)...don't remember much else...but I doubt you would regret moving to NSW for a couple years...
You didn't have to deal with the flies?

apply for a work visa asap. the process can be lengthy if not immediately sponsored. that was the suggestion from mommie dearest.
Joan Crawford's your mom?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom