How can this be legal? (2 Viewers)

i don't always agree with the rules of the road but i follow them

i have had one moving violation in my years of driving and i deserved it...it was on Earhart and i was doing 70 in a 55....

like i tell my son, it's just easier to follow the rules....even if you don't like them

You're such a putz.

I guess the question is how you can take away someone's license for one infraction in an otherwise clean record.

Just for speeding, didn't run a red light, didn't cause an accident, wasn't drunk or high, was just going too fast.

Fines, points, that's okay and to be expected but a 6 month suspension? That seems beyond excessive to me.

I understand that 80mph in DC is hugely reckless, dangerous, and odds are that some one or thing will get hurt or damaged.

That said, it's nearly impossible to go 80 in DC on any street at any time of day. If you find a way to somehow go 80 in DC you probably should get a suspension.

But 80 on a rural Virginia highway is completely different. Especially since the posted limit was 70mph and not 40.

I just think that it's overboard and wrong.

I just do the speed limit. I haven't gotten a ticket since college (about 10 years ago).

/shrug

I really hope he looked like this when he got his ticket

CantDrive55.jpg

Funny thing. While my car is in the shop I'm driving a 90 Accord. Actually has 55 off colored on the speedometer.

I break the speed limit all the time (between 5 and 10 MPH) And the only ticket I have on my record was from a camera. 2 minutes before it stopped being a school zone. Freaking watch...

I guess the question is how you can take away someone's license for one infraction in an otherwise clean record.

Just for speeding, didn't run a red light, didn't cause an accident, wasn;t drunk or high, was just going too fast.

Fines, points, that okay and to be expected but a 6 month suspension? that seems beyond excessive to me.

I understand that 80mph in DC is hugely reckless, dangerous, and odds are that some one or thing will get hurt or damaged.

That said, it's nearly impossible to go 80 in DC on any street at any time of day. If you find a way to somehow go 80 in DC you probably should get a suspension.

But 80 on a rural Virginia highway is completely different. Especially since the posted limit was 70mph and not 40.

I just think that it's overboard and wrong.

The problem has little to do with 80 mph. It really has to do with DC giving reciprocal effect to another jurisdiction's charge of reckless driving to apply DC's sanction for reckless driving: automatic suspension. But while in DC the automatic suspension may be reasonable given the standards for charging a driver with reckless driving in DC(those standards are very strong if you read it closely), it leads to an unreasonable result when a reckless charge from another jurisdiction with a lower, less culpable standard (i.e. 80 mph is per se reckless) is given the equivalency of the DC standard and the same penalty applied.

That's the heart of the problem. The VA officer didn't apply the DC standard in determining the offense. But the harsh DC penalty that corresponds to that standard is still being applied.

What exactly is the question?

The speed limit was 70 MPH, a speed I personally think is perfectly acceptable.
He was ticketed for going almost 15 MPH over that limit, he doesn't even really try to dispute that claim.

Frankly I have trouble feeling sorry for the dude. I hate, no I despise, people who, even when I'm going the speed limit or even a little over the speed limit in the middle or right hand lane, will ride my *** cause they want to go even faster. **** those people.

It seems like they already changed their ticketing process anyway and will only write those tickets if people are going 90 MPH in a 70 MPH zone.

you are combining more than one issue. Speeding on an interstate and riding someones arse (especially not in the fast lane but never exceptable) are not even in the same ball park. One recklessly, clearly and always is a danger to another vehicle while one is only necessarily dangerous (and maybe not that much) to your own vehicle's passengers.

That's not what it says. Virginia is the one that defines over 80 as reckless per se. But in VA, reckless is a lesser offense than in DC, which has a higher standard but also has harsher penalties when that standard is met.

The problem is the reciprocality. DC is considering the VA reckless offense to be the same as a DC reckless offense - and suspending the license. But they aren't the same offense.

(Its almost impossible to do 84 on the interstate in DC. There's very little interstate in DC anyway).

when I was in the military and lived in Virginia and worked at 8th and I, I would use my motorcycle on the HOV lane and hit 3 digits quite frequently. Made the ride in much easier. I don't think I would ever do that now, I was only 21 then and I know it was irresponsible of me to ride like that.

You know what I hate, when people do the speed limit in the damn passing lane. Get in the left lane, pass the car, get back in the right lane people!

What exactly is the question?

The speed limit was 70 MPH, a speed I personally think is perfectly acceptable.
He was ticketed for going almost 15 MPH over that limit, he doesn't even really try to dispute that claim.

Frankly I have trouble feeling sorry for the dude. I hate, no I despise, people who, even when I'm going the speed limit or even a little over the speed limit in the middle or right hand lane, will ride my *** cause they want to go even faster. **** those people.

It seems like they already changed their ticketing process anyway and will only write those tickets if people are going 90 MPH in a 70 MPH zone.
Time to trade in the moped.........

In 1990, I got pulled doing 85 in a 25. The officer was kind enough to bend the rules and not take me to jail (because it was Christmas morning). Fortunately for me, I had some "connections" and everything was dismissed. However, I was young and it scared me. I started driving the speed limit. It's a good habit, that has stuck. If the speed limit is 70, I set my cruise control on 70. That's plenty fast enough. I don't always agree with the speed limit, but I always drive the speed limit. For the record, that's the only ticket I've ever received in my life. Since it was dismissed, I guess I've never had a ticket. I take pride in it, and aim to keep it that way. I have no compassion for anyone who gets speeding tickets. If you don't want one -- don't speed. It's really not that difficult and, ultimately, speeding really doesn't save you that much time.

You know what I hate, when people do the speed limit in the damn passing lane. Get in the left lane, pass the car, get back in the right lane people!
Technically, since the passing lane (left lane) is the "fast" lane, so that's the lane someone driving the speed limit should be in. After all, the speed limit is the fastest anyone is supposed to be driving.

:ezbill:

Technically, since the passing lane (left lane) is the "fast" lane, so that's the lane someone driving the speed limit should be in. After all, the speed limit is the fastest anyone is supposed to be driving.

Technically, no.

The passing lane is for passing. I don't care how fast you are going, unless you are passing someone move to the right lane. If you don't you're doing it wrong.

Technically, no.

The passing lane is for passing. I don't care how fast you are going, unless you are passing someone move to the right lane. If you don't you're doing it wrong.

But since it's illegal to drive above the speed limit, by design, it would mean people driving the speed limit would be the ones getting in the left lane to pass slower vehicles.

If a car driving the speed limit is slowing you down, the driver is actually doing you a favor, and helping you avoid a ticket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom