How can this be legal? (1 Viewer)

But since it's illegal to drive above the speed limit, by design, it would mean people driving the speed limit would be the ones getting in the left lane to pass slower vehicles.

If a car driving the speed limit is slowing you down, the driver is actually doing you a favor, and helping you avoid a ticket.

Yea I used to say that when I was a little kid being a smart *** to my parents.

But since it's illegal to drive above the speed limit, by design, it would mean people driving the speed limit would be the ones getting in the left lane to pass slower vehicles.

If a car driving the speed limit is slowing you down, the driver is actually doing you a favor, and helping you avoid a ticket.

As long as you are passing I hope you'd be in the left lane. However, regardless of what speed you are going, once you are done passing move it back over to the right lane.

If a car driving the speed limit is slowing me down that is all they are doing, slowing me down. It is not their duty, right, or even privilidge to police my driving with improper lane discipline.

I'm sure you've seen the signs on I10 saying "slower traffic keep right". Notice it doesn't go on to say, "unless you are doing the speed limit".

Louisiana State Police Begin Enforcing New Left-Lane Law

Louisiana state troopers have begun enforcing a new law requiring drivers on multi-lane highways to remain in the right lane.

The state Highway Safety Commission says state police began enforcing it earlier this month.

In the nearly 3 years since that article was written, I sadly have yet to see proper lane dicsiplin enforced and as far as I can tell the problem has not gotten any better.

All I know is that after passing through VA several times, I would never speed there. The interstate was nothing but a big speed trap and the hwys. were some of the best, just begging you to get on the gas.

In 1990, I got pulled doing 85 in a 25. The officer was kind enough to bend the rules and not take me to jail (because it was Christmas morning). Fortunately for me, I had some "connections" and everything was dismissed.

However ... I have no compassion for anyone who gets speeding tickets. If you don't want one -- don't speed. It's really not that difficult and, ultimately, speeding really doesn't save you that much time.

Hmm..

when I was in the military and lived in Virginia and worked at 8th and I, I would use my motorcycle on the HOV lane and hit 3 digits quite frequently. Made the ride in much easier. I don't think I would ever do that now, I was only 21 then and I know it was irresponsible of me to ride like that.

The hov lane starts right before the 14th street bridge entering Virginia. If you got up to 3 digits before crossing the bridge, that would be quite impressive, heh. VA cops regularly patrol their side of 395 and the HOV lane in that area now, so it would be hard to get away with it these days.

I got a ticket for 79 in a 55 in that same area about 6 years ago. The fine was nearly $400 IIRC. I haven't done that again since, heh.

I got a ticket for doing over 100 mph in a 65 and walked the ticket when the officer didn't show. Fight the power! And get out of my way!

65 is the highest I've seen in the northeast. I set the cruise control at 70, and just aim it between the ditches.

I got a ticket for doing over 100 mph in a 65 and walked the ticket when the officer didn't show. Fight the power! And get out of my way!

Indeed, I've gotten out of a couple tickets that way as well, although I've never hit 3 digits before. Always go to court, even if just to plead guilty. If the judge is in a good mood, the ticket will usually be reduced and/or not show on record. An officer not showing is just gravy, heh.

The hov lane starts right before the 14th street bridge entering Virginia. If you got up to 3 digits before crossing the bridge, that would be quite impressive, heh. VA cops regularly patrol their side of 395 and the HOV lane in that area now, so it would be hard to get away with it these days.

I got a ticket for 79 in a 55 in that same area about 6 years ago. The fine was nearly $400 IIRC. I haven't done that again since, heh.

I lived in Woodbridge VA, it was a 30 minute ride to work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom