I chuckled at this Erik McCoy quote from a NOF Article (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Andrus potentially has already posted the link but if not it's below. Anyhow much has been swept under the rug about McCoy's scuffle with Carr during the season last year, and McCoy has gone on record to bandage that moment by pointing out how much he loves Carr etc. There's no doubt in my mind there's a respect since they both have a common goal, but this quote gives you some insight into what likely lead to that scuffle. The team is loving the accountability as a whole though, but it does continue to expose just how bad things were last year and how we got those results.

“You’re seeing the intricacies of each position and what they do,” center Erik McCoy said. “So, if we have an aiming point, you hear JB (offensive line coach John Benton) in the back coaching us up. Or you hear Klint saying, 'Hey, you got to get to this landmark. Or, if the quarterback takes a hit he’s not supposed to, it’ll be like, ‘Hey, let that go.’ I think it helps with the communication.”

Last edited:
Accountability was lacking on that side of the ball last two years. Carmichael was not a confrontational guy. I dont know if Kubiak is or not, i dont think so but some system of accountability needed to be implemented.
I think too much was put on the vets in the lockerroom to do that. You could potentially get away with that if say Drew was still QB, because his ability to hold people accountable translates. I don't think Carr holds that level of weight as a person, which is why he's better paired with an OC like a Gruden or at this point Kubiak who is a STRONG voice that's also respected. That way the players can focus on playing rather than holding their teammates, who are also grown men, accountable. Something the coaches in theory should be doing the majority of anyway

I think too much was put on the vets in the lockerroom to do that. You could potentially get away with that if say Drew was still QB, because his ability to hold people accountable translates. I don't think Carr holds that level of weight as a person, which is why he's better paired with an OC like a Gruden or at this point Kubiak who is a STRONG voice that's also respected. That way the players can focus on playing rather than holding their teammates, who are also grown men, accountable. Something the coaches in theory should be doing the majority of anyway
Even with Drew here, accountability always came from the top.

doyourjob.jpg

The lack of accountability was a DA/Sneaky Pete thing and if we are being honest, last season was probably more DA than we want to admit. Everything was all good when OTAs and training camp wasn't as "rigid" as it was with CSP, but the way we came out in 2022 told me everything that I needed to know. Player/locker room leadership IS needed but accountability from the top is key.

doyourjob.jpg

The lack of accountability was a DA/Sneaky Pete thing and if we are being honest, last season was probably more DA than we want to admit. Everything was all good when OTAs and training camp wasn't as "rigid" as it was with CSP, but the way we came out in 2022 told me everything that I needed to know. Player/locker room leadership IS needed but accountability from the top is key.

I'm not here for it and tired of this argument. Before Sean Payton stumbled on Dennis Allen and Gregg Williams he had Gary Gibbs and Rob Ryan. Under the latter two, the defenses were meh or meh and unstructured. Bringing in the former resulted in better designed defenses as well as overall better play and accountability. In other words, Allen is no different than Payton in that he's a one side of the field coach that needs the other coach to instill the culture on that particular sideo f the ball so he can control HIS side of the ball. Winning does the rest and pulls the team itself together.

It was a Pete thing because the defense didn't have accountability issues. Even the entire article is about the offensive side of the ball, stop letting your disdain for Allen show in every post.

Accountability was lacking on that side of the ball last two years. Carmichael was not a confrontational guy. I dont know if Kubiak is or not, i dont think so but some system of accountability needed to be implemented.

All of the interviews with coaches and players have said Kubiak is holding everyone accountable. That there is already a much different feeling to the offense and they're not even in Training Camp yet.

doyourjob.jpg

Alvin Kamara quite literally said "The fear is gone."

And as we all saw, that was NOT a good thing.

I'm not here for it and tired of this argument. Before Sean Payton stumbled on Dennis Allen and Gregg Williams he had Gary Gibbs and Rob Ryan. Under the latter two, the defenses were meh or meh and unstructured. Bringing in the former resulted in better designed defenses as well as overall better play and accountability. In other words, Allen is no different than Payton in that he's a one side of the field coach that needs the other coach to instill the culture on that particular sideo f the ball so he can control HIS side of the ball. Winning does the rest and pulls the team itself together.

It was a Pete thing because the defense didn't have accountability issues. Even the entire article is about the offensive side of the ball, stop letting your disdain for Allen show in every post.
Then we should've been winning right?

Lemme clarify that a little apparently. If the OC isn't holding players accountable when mistakes are made...shouldn't the HC step in? And if he's unable to identify issues on offense, maybe he shouldn't be a HC.

Try to minimize CSP all you want, but even at our worst defensively he demanded accountability from BOTH sides of the ball.

And even on the off chance that DA isn't or wasn't the problem, then that means that we should've still been winning on a regular clip the past 2 seasons....right?

Re: McCoys quote - it's all post incident damage control, we saw the blowup.

Last edited:
Yeah heard it on the podcast and seemed like McCoy went right up to the line of an explanation then veered off
HOWEVER
This week’s podcast had the dish about Khiry Robinson punching an intern
?!?!?!?!?!!!

Tired of what argument? That accountability comes from the top?

First off, Gary Gibbs kinda got screwed because our offense was doing him no favors in most losses those last 2 seasons but that's neither here nor there. The defense performed MUCH better under Williams and was a huge reason for our 2009 season. That being said, there was zero doubt in our mind that Sean Payton was holding Ryan accountable for the screw ups with the defense. Sean Payton's issue was not firing Ryan at the end of 2015 but to say this like we didn't see Payton giving Ryan the business on the sidelines after stupid penalties is crazy...lol.

I don't have any disdain for Dennis Allen and pretty luke warm on him. I think he is a better coordinator than coach but I will say this; I'm probably one of last people that you need to tell "it was a Pete thing" because I was one of the first people to tell you "it was a Pete thing." The problem with DA and Pete is most people were a season late, as they blamed the lack of a calming presence and then somebody forgot how to play their booty off, so we needed a savior, as Pete was being hamstrung by our 2022 QBs...lol. That is why we went and got DA's guy without any other changes. Then the issues that were there the whole time became visible to the masses. But to say I have a disdain for Dennis Allen shows you don't know that I talked way more about Sneaky Pete than I did DA.

Then we should've been winning right?

Lemme clarify that a little apparently. If the OC isn't holding players accountable when mistakes are made...shouldn't the HC step in? And if he's unable to identify issues on offense, maybe he shouldn't be a HC.

Try to minimize CSP all you want, but even at our worst defensively he demanded accountability from BOTH sides of the ball.

And even on the off chance that DA isn't or wasn't the problem, then that means that we should've still been winning on a regular clip the past 2 seasons....right?

Re: McCoys quote - it's all post incident damage control, we saw the blowup.

I don't disagree that DA is ultimately responsible for the failures of the offense whether it's because he failed to let Pete go, failed to get Pete to hold his players accountable, or failed to step in when Peter wasn't holding the offensive players accountable. I just don't know why that would mean we should have been winning.

I think DA has shown he will hold players accountable on his side of the ball and he's a big reason why Payton was free to worry about the offense while knowing that the defensive players were being held accountable. But, I think DA did a bad job of realizing that as the HC he needs to make sure the defensive AND offensive players are held accountable. You would have hoped that he would have learned that you either have to do it or you have to hire someone else who will do it, but he had not learned that as of last year. Hopefully, Kubiak is that guy.

And, if Kubiak can't fix that problem and the offense continues to struggle, then hopefully Loomis will hold DA accountable and we get a new head coach next year.

I don't have any disdain for Dennis Allen and pretty luke warm on him. I think he is a better coordinator than coach but I will say this; I'm probably one of last people that you need to tell "it was a Pete thing" because I was one of the first people to tell you "it was a Pete thing." The problem with DA and Pete is most people were a season late, as they blamed the lack of a calming presence and then somebody forgot how to play their booty off, so we needed a savior, as Pete was being hamstrung by our 2022 QBs...lol. That is why we went and got DA's guy without any other changes. Then the issues that were there the whole time became visible to the masses. But to say I have a disdain for Dennis Allen shows you don't know that I talked way more about Sneaky Pete than I did DA.

To be fair, they tried to get rid of Pete after the 2022 season but the two or three guys they wanted turned them down. The mistake they made was thinking that Pete was better than the other available guys in 2022.

Nah, I didn’t see Allen snapping at any player while CSP was famous for that. The explanation about accountability is that Allen as a DC benefited from CSP presence for years. Now, he can’t hold anybody accountable. Mind that he has two HUGE leaders on defense in Cam and Demario, plus a veteran like Mathieu. Offense really lacks leaders like them, and coaches couldn’t make up for that - not Pete, and not the HC…

To be fair, they tried to get rid of Pete after the 2022 season but the two or three guys they wanted turned them down. The mistake they made was thinking that Pete was better than the other available guys in 2022.
I dated a crazy stripper when I was 23 years old. After the second year of dating her, I thought “I’ve dated her 1 too many years (the first year was fun, but second….not so much). After year 3, I said to myself “I’ve dated her 2 too many years”.

To an extent, but there’s no denying that the best teams ever in any sport or heck even the good teams, they for the far majority police themselves. Was just listening to a former Red Sox player talk about exactly that in regards to some of the good Sox teams of the past. The problem was this team lacked leadership from every single angle and the coaches would not take control in any area, it was just like a ship at sea during a storm with no captain or heck, no one driving the boat period. At least for a majority of the season.

I’m not disagreeing with you here just to be clear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom