I have never been this upset with a coach (1 Viewer)

I didn't realize he only ran it 10 times. Good post. I thought we played far too conservatively all around in the second half. Yes, passing more give the oppourunity for their DBs to make plays, but I think we concentrated on the mid level pass too much when we should have exploited our talent down field MUCH more than we did. I can really only think of one long pass attempt downfield.

As frustrating as the offensive gameplan was, the defensive strategy was just as disappointing. Not many DBs in the NFL are going to be able to man up and run with Harrison and Wayne every play. So in the first half we give them safety help, tie ball game. In the second half, we go to more cover one and get torn up. That's not a personnel issue (Jason David does not need to be cut... :mad:); that's a poor scheme.

The only other negative I have is Stinchcomb, who consisently got beat by Mathis. If it were not for Brees who has incredible pocket awareness, Stinchcomb would have given up five sacks tonight.

Good news: it's one game, and that is the best offense we'll face all year. I like our talent across the board, and I think our coaches can correct their mistakes. Let's move on to Tampa.

Don't get me wrong because I like Payton, I love what he has done.

Now that I have got that out of the way........

A blueprint was made to beat the Colts. It doesn't take great players, it doesn't take great defense and it doesn't take great offense. What it does take is patience, will and determination. We lacked all three tonight.

The teams that beat the Colts last year were the Texans, Cowboys, Jags and Titans. Only one of these teams made the playoffs and we killed them.

The way to beat the Colts is to run the ball right between the tackles. There is no other way unless you have a dominant defense and even those have not beat the Colts recently. You have to keep Manning on the sideline, it keeps him out of rythym, keeps the pass rush fresh and gives the defense a chance. Running the ball gets more effective each time you do it. The Colts defense is undersized and when they get tired they lose the advantage of speed. Our offensive line gets to take over and they are forced to come out of the cover 2 to stop it. When they do this then you can pass the ball and take shots deep but until then we are trying to throw into 8 man coverages with a ton of speed.

Every year we circle the shoot out game with the Colts to watch on TV. Every year the Bengals, Chiefs, Vikings and other high powered offenses get run over by Manning and once they get up these teams try to pass more and the ends get to just fly into the backfield and force more mistakes.

You can't get down big to the Colts and if ou do you can't give up on the run.

Payton gets on the podium after the NFCCG and admits and regrets he didn't run Deuce enough and run him more. Deuce only got 6 carries against the Bears and now Deuce might get 10 against the Colts. I like the West Coast offense but when teams dare you to run you have to accept the dare sometimes.

Freeney and Mathis combined weigh about as much as Shanle and Fujita. They have no DT's and they don't play 8 in the box. Could you imagine if Shanle and Fujita were our ends and Grant and Smith were our DT's? That is what you have with the Colts.

I'm sick right now and this is a rant but until Payton can learn from his mistakes then nothing will change. We will roll over bad teams and when it comes to a team that you have to run the ball to beat we will fall short......way short.

Crucify me if you want.

Thanks for typing this as I was thinking the exact same thing. Why didn't we run Deuce? So what if the Colts knew this was our gameplan, they weren't going to be able to stop it. Payton has a bad habit of trying to out think the other team when you can just line up a smack the other team in the mouth. I hope that he actually learns from this game as it's the second time in a row that we've lost because our offense was trying to be cute.

I'm not for throwing deep for the fun of it...but you can beat a Cover Two if you play agressive and Test it now and then... We just took the short junk that they gave us and then tried run Bush on 3rd and 13..........?

I agree with most of you guys. Where the heck was Deuce, especially in the 2nd half of the game? I could not for the life of me understand why he was not running Deuce.

When the OL & DL collectively get their tails whipped all game long, I have a difficult time blaming the loss solely on the play calling. Indy took it to us and kicked butt.

Don't get me wrong because I like Payton, I love what he has done.
The way to beat the Colts is to run the ball right between the tackles. There is no other way unless you have a dominant defense and even those have not beat the Colts recently. You have to keep Manning on the sideline, it keeps him out of rythym, keeps the pass rush fresh and gives the defense a chance. Running the ball gets more effective each time you do it. The Colts defense is undersized and when they get tired they lose the advantage of speed. Our offensive line gets to take over and they are forced to come out of the cover 2 to stop it. When they do this then you can pass the ball and take shots deep but until then we are trying to throw into 8 man coverages with a ton of speed.

Hang in there. Maybe we'll get another chance in the big bowl against them (or the Jets).

Who knows. I know this aint the same offense as last year, but the O is always later than the D in getting the rust knocked off.

Just be patient and keep on hoping the best.

Geaux Saints.

It sucks we got beat bad, but just one game agains the Superbowl champs. It doesn't affect NFC standings.

A wake up call for Saints , Peyton will have his team ready for Tampa

I think down the line this will be an issue with Payton unless he digests the lesson. This was always the knock on him.

He gets too cute, gets away from the run, out thinks himself. "Gets the virus" as Parcells said. This is what happened in the Chicago game.

I kind of agree with you, but from what I see I'm not sure we have the O-line to run. They were getting fairly abused tonite and making mistakes. The finesse label is looking almost like it fits.

Late season last year, I posted a thread about Payton's playcalling concerning getting away from the run too much and I got ripped by many on this forum for not being a real fan. My opinion of our coach has not changed since then.

Trying to go long at the start of the first half was very predictable. It almost ended up in an interception.

good lord that was a thumping. i am numb all over, I think i have post traumatic stress syndrome

no wait its the beer

Thanks for typing this as I was thinking the exact same thing. Why didn't we run Deuce? So what if the Colts knew this was our gameplan, they weren't going to be able to stop it. Payton has a bad habit of trying to out think the other team when you can just line up a smack the other team in the mouth. I hope that he actually learns from this game as it's the second time in a row that we've lost because our offense was trying to be cute.

Well, I don't know if I would count on Payton learning from it. What did he say after the NFC Championship game?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom