I think DA is Getting Year 4 (4 Viewers)

Observation from reading various threads like this during this offseason:

I get the DA detractors and share some of their issues with him. However, several members here seemingly would prefer that the Saints chase the overall No. 1 draft pick this coming season rather than win the division, just to see DA get fired. Said members' constant negative focus on DA has been beaten to death. Stop already! We get it!

So, why not pull for the guy to succeed? We should want the Saints to win, no matter who the head coach is, correct?

With the season on the horizon, it's usually a time for hope and optimism and a time to get behind and support our team! Save the hate for during the season if or when things go badly. Constantly reading the same few members pounding on DA over and over has become tiresome and is getting under my skin.
This, I just don't understand off-season pessimism. Mid/during season absolutely, but there isn't a single GM in the league that doesn't feel good about their teams prospects in June. It's all on paper but geez being anything but supportive and excited in the summer just seems wack.

This, I just don't understand off-season pessimism. Mid/during season absolutely, but there isn't a single GM in the league that doesn't feel good about their teams prospects in June. It's all on paper but geez being anything but supportive and excited in the summer just seems wack.
And should we wind up surprising and having a solid — or even better — year, then all those detractors will try to sneak back onto the bandwagon claiming they’ve always been the biggest Who Dats. … … We may be great. We may stink it up. No one ever knows this time of year. That’s why they actually play the games. Count me in the “I still and always will believe” crowd and let the others clown me and call me a sunshine blower all they want if that’s how they get their jollies.

Last edited:
And should we wound up surprising and having a solid — or even better — year, then all those detractors will try to sneak back onto the bandwagon claiming they’ve always been the biggest Who Dats. We may be great. We may stink it up. No one ever knows this time of year. That’s why they actually play the games. Count me in the “I still and always will believe” crowd and let the others clown me and call me a sunshine blower all they want if that’s how they get their jollies.

Those who call optimists "Sunshine Pumpers" are most often negative types, or should I say realists, as they like to call themselves.

That’s the NFL, it’s a lot of close games that swing on a hand full of plays, maybe just one. The season can swing on a couple of games, maybe just one. I don’t have any confidence that DA can get enough of these plays and games to swing in the right direction where as SP could. That’s the issue as I see it.

IMO.

That's very fair, and I don't necessarily disagree.

Observation from reading various threads like this during this offseason:

I get the DA detractors and share some of their issues with him. However, several members here seemingly would prefer that the Saints chase the overall No. 1 draft pick this coming season rather than win the division, just to see DA get fired. Said members' constant negative focus on DA has been beaten to death. Stop already! We get it!

So, why not pull for the guy to succeed? We should want the Saints to win, no matter who the head coach is, correct?

With the season on the horizon, it's usually a time for hope and optimism and a time to get behind and support our team! Save the hate for during the season if or when things go badly. Constantly reading the same few members pounding on DA over and over has become tiresome and is getting under my skin.
AMEN, Its keeping me away from the board tired of hearing all of the Negativity

AMEN, Its keeping me away from the board tired of hearing all of the Negativity

Yeah! I've been getting that a lot from members that I've contacted because I hadn't seen them around in a while, so I need to read a lot more here, analyze the atmosphere and do what I have to do to make the discourse more palatable and inviting for our target audience. I'm on it!

Yeah! I've been getting that a lot from members that I've contacted because I hadn't seen around in a while, so I need to read a lot more here, analyze the atmosphere and do what I have to do to make the discourse more palatable and inviting for our target audience. I'm on it!
I have no problem with people having opinions and/or negative thoughts and views of the team. But when every thread no matter what the subject gets turned into the same debate on DA and Loomis it just gets tiresome. That’s why I haven’t been on much the past few weeks.

Huh……. I’m kinda taking that as a direct shot at me

1719540124620.gif
You have that right … 👍 … does that make WHO DAT Believers wrong? … Not trying to start anything whatsoever … only responding to the post

And when you look at those teams with regard to ongoing stability, you don’t envy any of them. Oakland is on HC #7 or so since firing DA in 2014. Carolina is on HC #6 since DA was re-hired as the Saints’ DC in 2016. Tampa Bay has been on the carousel. Washington, NY Giants, and the Jets might be hopping back on. Atlanta is feeling carousel-adjacent. The 1970s and early 80s Saints. You’d take TB’s Super Bowl, but nothing of the decade prior or the years since.
I was just thinking about this "you don't want to be the team that is changing coaches like underwear" idea that has been passed around.

Sure you don't want to be the Raiders, Panthers, or Jets that rotate through coaches after a year or two, but why doesn't anyone mention the 49ers, Seahawks, Bills, Chiefs, or Broncos who all dropped their coaches after a year or two of them not cutting it?

49ers dropped Jim Tomsula after a season and went with Chip Kelly for a season before canning him a season later for Kyle Shannahan.

Seahawks fired Jim More Jr after a season and hired Pete Carroll.

The Bills fired Rex Ryan after 2 seasons and hired Sean McDermott.

The Chiefs fired Romeo Crennel after 2 seasons and hired Andy Reid.

The Broncos fired Josh McDaniel after 2 seasons and hired John Fox.

Bad teams aren't the only ones to cut a coach a year or two into a tenure, so if the Saints cut DA after an unsuccessful season I wouldn't read too much into it, or think that the Saints were a ship lost on the ocean.

Here's to a season of DA showing us what he truly is.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this "you don't want to be the team that is changing coaches like underwear" idea that has been passed around.

Sure you don't want to be the Raiders, Panthers, or Jets that rotate through coaches after a year or two, but why doesn't anyone mention the 49ers, Seahawks, Bills, Chiefs, or Broncos who all dropped their coaches after a year or two of them not cutting it?

49ers dropped Jim Tomsula after a season and went with Chip Kelly for a season before canning him a season later for Kyle Shannahan.

Seahawks fired Jim More Jr after a season and hired Pet Carroll.

The Bills fired Rex Ryan after 2 seasons and hired Sean McDermott.

The Chiefs fired Romeo Crennel after 2 seasons and hired Andy Reid.

The Broncos fired Mike McDaniel after 2 seasons and hired John Fox.

Bad teams aren't the only ones to cut a coach a year or two into a tenure, so if the Saints cut DA after an unsuccessful season I wouldn't read too much into it, or think that the Saints were a ship lost on the ocean.

Here's to a season of DA showing us what he truly is.

Any recent examples? It looks like Sean McDermott and Kyle Shannahan are your most recent examples and they've been HC's for 2017. McDermott didn't win 10 games until his 3rd season and the Bills were patient with him allowing him to build his team. Shannahan didn't have a winning record or win 10 games until his 3rd season when they went to the SB and the 49ers were patient with him also allowing him to build his team. See the trend?

BTW, it's Josh McDaniels for Denver, not Mike McDaniel the Dolphins HC.

Any recent examples? It looks like Sean McDermott and Kyle Shannahan are your most recent examples and they've been HC's for 2017. McDermott didn't win 10 games until his 3rd season and the Bills were patient with him allowing him to build his team. Shannahan didn't have a winning record or win 10 games until his 3rd season when they went to the SB and the 49ers were patient with him also allowing him to build his team. See the trend?

BTW, it's Josh McDaniels for Denver, not Mike McDaniel the Dolphins HC.
The trend isn’t lost on me, heck, that’s why I picked them. That’s why I am of the mind that if DA can’t get it going by year 3, I am fine with him being shown the door.

Also, other than the teams mentioned (Panthers, Panthers, Jets), what other teams have moved on from a coach after 1 or 2 years? The Jags? They seem to be doing better after moving on from Urban.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom